[TESTING] XDAndroid GBX0C 2.3.7 Build

Search This thread

jonners59

Oct 4, 2010
London
The problems of a few weeks ago re the data connection not working though the system said it was, seems to have started to improve. Still get funnies, but they do not last as long and not on all start ups. Always thought these builds were alive! :eek: LoL

The drive down to Italy through various countries was very interesting. Unlike any of the previous builds this one switched networks with little problem. It took a little time, but it did and still does switch within 1hr max: Vodafone Maritime, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Italy. Well chuffed. :D

One observation: CoPilot Europe froze the phone after about 30 minutes or so, on 4 occasions, so I stopped using it.

Comments on battery life. I use my phone to its fullest. Don't see the point of building my life round it. So I hammer it, as it were. I always carry a spare battery with me and almost get a whole day using the two. I have 4 x gmail accounts constantly sync'd with all the trimmings. Otherwise just Go Launcher, Facebook and dropbox running. I never use widgets (tip from arrrghh), I use 3G watchdog (great app), Back light (shortcut on the desktop), Addaway, addfree, Titanium BU, Timezone fix, SD Booster and Battery Cal.... so it gets a hard time. Yes, I'd like more life, but considering its an old phone and it is not designed for this build, I think that's damned good. :)

Bar that, lovin the build more and more. Thanks guys

CodaHighland

Feb 24, 2012
Get rid of the Facebook app if at all possible. It's a terrible piece of software and is going to be the single biggest performance hog you have installed. Use Facebook in the browser and you'll have a better experience most likely.

slickdaddy96

Sep 8, 2009
Get rid of the Facebook app if at all possible. It's a terrible piece of software and is going to be the single biggest performance hog you have installed. Use Facebook in the browser and you'll have a better experience most likely.

I have found friendcaster to be a pretty good app with no system resource hogging, if you can't stand the browser version like I can't.

slickdaddy96

Sep 8, 2009
Thanks guys. Shall add that to my list of downloads when back in blighty... Is there one for LinkedIn too?

There is a linkedin app, but I have never used it. I don't know what kind of resource hog it is. Only way to find out is to try it out and see if you starting having issues. Main issue you will have is sending and receiving calls mainly if you have too much stuff loaded up and running.

jonners59

Oct 4, 2010
London
There is a linkedin app, but I have never used it. I don't know what kind of resource hog it is. Only way to find out is to try it out and see if you starting having issues. Main issue you will have is sending and receiving calls mainly if you have too much stuff loaded up and running.

Yes, have the app already. Just don't know if it is a hog or not and if a better alternative is out there. Would be nice to have one consolidated app like nimble.com, but that does not work on Android :(

Noticed yesterday a small problem, not an issue though. After using GPS, I always shut it down in Settings/Location, but it still shows in the notification panel as active. There is nothing otherwise that indicates it is still on, however.

Last edited:

drewtarvin

May 4, 2008
Evernote in GBX0B?

I'm trying to upgrade from FroYo to GB and everything is working well so far except Evernote. When I launch the application I get an error that says "Evernote requires SD card. Please insert an SD card before using Evernote."

I never had this error on FroYo. Any thoughts?

I'm on GBX0B on a rhod400 TP2 with 3.2.11 kernel (same error on other kernels). I'm running Android from the SD card, but that's also how I did FroYo.

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
I'm trying to upgrade from FroYo to GB and everything is working well so far except Evernote. When I launch the application I get an error that says "Evernote requires SD card. Please insert an SD card before using Evernote."

I never had this error on FroYo. Any thoughts?

I'm on GBX0B on a rhod400 TP2 with 3.2.11 kernel (same error on other kernels). I'm running Android from the SD card, but that's also how I did FroYo.

Congrats on your first post! I used Evernote before, but perhaps I never actually gave it a shot in GB...

Can you provide a log? GetLogs is the best way ;).

drewtarvin

May 4, 2008
Thanks! Been lurking for a long time, never really had too many issues before (at least that couldn't be solved from digging through the forums).

I'm still new so I can't post the url directly (just add http): pastebin.com/Sg9u6xUu

Interesting note: I tried downloading GetLogs directly on my phone but got a missing SD card error. I rebooted my phone to Windows and manually copied the file to the Android app folder and it worked.

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Thanks! Been lurking for a long time, never really had too many issues before (at least that couldn't be solved from digging through the forums).

I'm still new so I can't post the url directly (just add http): pastebin.com/Sg9u6xUu

Interesting note: I tried downloading GetLogs directly on my phone but got a missing SD card error. I rebooted my phone to Windows and manually copied the file to the Android app folder and it worked.

Hrm... Perhaps you should do this. First, backup everything on the SD card. Try a full format of the card using the HP Tool. Then put all the stuffs back on, try again.

If that doesn't work, perhaps there's some old stuff on the card from Evernote that you can try deleting/moving? I see some errors that look like the software just doesn't have rights.

Code:
04-09 14:27:18.544 E/com.evernote.provider.EvernoteProvider( 1597): Exception while deleting linked thumbnails dir
04-09 14:27:18.544 E/com.evernote.provider.EvernoteProvider( 1597): java.io.FileNotFoundException

and

Code:
04-09 14:27:18.534 E/com.evernote.provider.EvernoteProvider( 1597): Exception while deleting thumbnails dir
04-09 14:27:18.534 E/com.evernote.provider.EvernoteProvider( 1597): java.io.FileNotFoundException

Let me know how that goes.

drewtarvin

May 4, 2008
I reformatted the SD card using HP tool and started from a new download of GBX0B and kernel 3-2-11 and that seems to have fixed it. Evernote has loaded and is working correctly.

Thanks for the help!

PS Does anyone have any tips on streamlining Android so it runs faster on the older phones? I'm thinking things like disabling animation, anything else?

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
There's a thread for speedup tips stickied in this section, but here's a link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1218458

Turning off background data, minimizing the number of widgets you have, and switching out the launcher (I use Zeam) all help. V6 is less helpful because this build already uses V6's aggressive settings by default.

V6 actually still is helpful IMHO. It has some Out Of Memory grouping tweaks, as well as many other things other than simply the LowMemoryKiller setting that we apply now ;).

CodaHighland

Feb 24, 2012
I said "less helpful", not "unhelpful" ;) But yes, listen to arrrghhh.

I mean, I use V6 too. Bulletproof launcher is nice, especially when running Zeam.

eurohunter

Jan 5, 2012
I have tried Zeam, but it is not as smooth as you guys are describing it here. ADW on the other hand has given me the best launcher experience. I even removed the home and drawer icon labels (surprisingly I can tell right away which app is which without the labels), and that made scrolling even faster.

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
I have tried Zeam, but it is not as smooth as you guys are describing it here. ADW on the other hand has given me the best launcher experience. I even removed the home and drawer icon labels (surprisingly I can tell right away which app is which without the labels), and that made scrolling even faster.

I prefer ADW myself ;).

jonners59

Oct 4, 2010
London
Go Launcher for me. Has loads of other useful tools to add if wanted including a desktop migration app. The desktop app management and folder management are great and the inbuilt backup works a treat - though like all the others I have tired the widgets do not restore, but I don't use those. Didn't get much from any of the other launchers myself....:)

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Go Launcher for me. Has loads of other useful tools to add if wanted including a desktop migration app. The desktop app management and folder management are great and the inbuilt backup works a treat - though like all the others I have tired the widgets do not restore, but I don't use those. Didn't get much from any of the other launchers myself....:)

Hence why Android is so beautiful... freedom of choice!!

slickdaddy96

Sep 8, 2009
I am thinking about running a partition build with my rhodium to prevent the issues I am having continuously with corrupted data.img and having to run fix_permissions all the time. Can someone point me in the right direction or right thread to show me how to do this. I have searched an searched but could not find anything on it recent.

Can I use the build as it is in this thread just separating the appropriate files in the right partitions, or would I need to modify files in order to get it to work?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey folks,

This is a completely new build, with all the new changes baked in. We wanted to do a semi-official test release to collect bugs and hopefully do a formal official release with everything settled. The main pain point is the CSV files (see pre-install prep).

So a brief overview:

• New acoustic routing code baked in. Should fix most if not all audio routing problems, and will provide more debugging if stuff does go wrong. Also allows for more granular tweaking, see the CSV files.
    • GPS fixes for GB - GPS not only works in GB now, but it doesn't kill sleep! I was able to use GPS, get a solid lock, and put the device to sleep no problem.
    • BT should work & well with the new acoustic code. Post results.
    • RHOD users now have a choice of kernels. .35+ all have the new acoustic - so .35, .39, 3.0 and 3.1 are all fair game now... This is bundled with .27!!
    • Keep in mind, autobuild .27 kernels will produce no audio in this build... Obviously the bundled kernel will work, and the absolute newest .27 autobuild kernel does work now - Feb.27 2012 or newer.
    • rootfs tweaks - first, it will detect which kernel you're on (.27 or .35+) and automatically apply the correct firmware. Second, is it will always copy/extract the modules... failures there were getting annoying, and this is surefire if brute-force...
    • Few Easter egg apk's...
    • Probably a lot I'm forgetting, this might change ;)

Pre-Install Prep REQUIRED!!!

This step is crucial, and I forgot all about it! You must copy all of the *.CSV file from your WinMo ROM - these are in the \Windows\ directory. There's a very easy way to do this. It involves the Total Commander app for WinMo (Direct Link for the perpetually lazy...) (included in EnergyROM and others probably).

Now you're in Total Commander looking at your \Windows\ directory. Whew... lots of files. Fear not! Hit the "CTRL" button, then the green "Plus" button. This opens the Select/Unselect files dialog. Put in *.csv, press "select" and voila. All CSV files are selected. Now - File -> Copy/Move -> I want you to copy these (should be 10) files to the ROOT of your SD card. No folders!!! This is hardset right now, until we get it all implemented into the build properly. Thanks!

Install

Assuming you've done the pre-install prep; this is installed just like the other XDAndroid builds - grab your startup.txt (don't forget rel_path= if you don't have it at the root of the SD!), ts-calibration and boot!

Download
    Caveat List

• CDMA users might get a crash in phone.apk and no service on boot. If waiting doesn't resolve the issue, then reboot. Should come up fine...
    • BT might still be flaky
    • The CSV files from my RHOD400 are attached for the lazy. I'd like to gather CSV's from each RHOD, I'm curious if any ROM devs have changed them out either... This could get interesting. If you folks don't mind, post up your CSV's, point out differences with mine, etc... We're trying to figure out how to unify these, if possible! Thanks!
    Please post back any issues, enjoy!

GBX0C Changelog
    • Camcorder: Now works (tested on rhodium).
    • Acoustic: Bug-fix : correct random loss of dual(rear)-mic.
    • MMS: Bug-fix: Slides with zero duration on Sprint.
    • Gps: Bug-fix: Init/de-init sequence fix (correct gps not starting up after being unchecked in Settings).
    • Gps: Bug-fix: End gps session with a correct rpc call (relevant to amss6125 devices).
    • Gps: Bug-fix: Don't send delayed position requests after session has ended (possibly relevant to Navigation issues).
    • Gps: New feature: Xtra (aGPS) -> verified to work on rhodium/cdma raph.
    • X1 specific: Screen rotation patch.
    • Added tytung's GPS injector app to AndroidApps\Other as well as updating/cleaning up some apps in AndroidApps.
    • Modified rootfs for newest apsta firmware & wifi firmware - wifi tethering now works flawlessly in the newest kernels! .27 is still bundled for the record...
    Bump. New build guys.

(check the site, the link will be the same but timestamp will update... Not on the filename, on the actual site.) Sorry, I didn't want to make it look like a whole new build, so I kept the filename the same. You should just be able to hit the link in the first post as usual ;).

Everyone should grab the full bundle. It includes a new .27 acoustic kernel that should fix some problems, and there's a lot of userland fixes:
    • MMS should be fixed for Sprint users
    • XDAndroid will now show as the provider
    • GLES put back in (whoops)
    • Network-based location put back in (which was working before, but this last boot it didn't...? Let me know on this guys, I might need another update... Definitely seems broken!! What the heck. There'll be another update, sorry folks.)
    • hyc's dmesg binary baked into the rootfs (timestamps... in dmesg!)

There was A LOT of acoustic changes in this build (hao0907047407 - try again, perhaps you have sound now?). Download the full bundle, and REPLACE EVERYTHING!! I've added a lot of updates across the board, and I don't want people running partial stuff.

You should be able to reuse your data.img...

I'm still not able to get netloc to work... I am just scratching my head as to why it worked at first and now it doesn't. I'll keep working on it, but so far that seems to be the only thing I set out to fix that isn't.

Bring on that feedback guys!
    First post updated, new build. Enjoy, please report back. Changelog in the second post. I will update the changelog further, that's just detule's changelog of what's changed on the userland side of things... I still have some things to add from stuff I did. Thanks!
    OK, I finally got around to building and signing a new image. All went fairly well - sorted out the NetLoc problem (thanks detule), and along with a lot of patches and fixes from detule as well, we have ourselves a great build!

I'm having a few troubles before I release, and want to make sure I iron everything out before I do...

So first, XTRA is now working out of the box. I got a GPS lock within a few seconds in my basement... so yea. Wow. NetLoc again is also working. There's some acoustic fixes, along with the Sprint MMS fix. Finally, the camcorder should be fixed. Now I still don't think the RHOD100 cam patches have made it to the kernel - but again, that's a kernel issue, nothing to do with the userland side of things. Plus with the new firmware and the new kernels, wifi tethering now works FLAWLESSLY!! Hooray! Kudos to hyc for finding that gem out...

Unfortunately I will still have to bundle .27 for the older devices, sorry folks. I know it hasn't had an update in ages, but as most of you already know the newer kernels are working really quite well.

On to the issues, hopefully dumb ones. First, I got GPS to give me a lock but it won't disappear from the status bar. I remember someone mentioning this, but I don't remember the solution other than rebooting. Is this a bug? Anyone else confirm/figure out the cause/fix for it?