Not happy with Zagg Invisible Sheild...

Search This thread

Bagman530

Feb 25, 2010
I realize its the most popular amongst the people on this forum, and I purchased it based off of the pole for protectors here. Here are my complaints though.

First of all, the package containing the sponge broke open in shipping and leaked everywhere. But I added some water as the directions say and proceeded with the install.

My second problem was with installation. It seemed no matter how many times I wet my fingers they would either leave a fingerprint or my fingers would stick to the shield. Centering each piece a pain. Maybe I didn't wet it enough? Not sure. But I had to peel it off and start over several times on certain pieces. The corners were the hardest, and even with the "palming" method, It still bubbles out a bit on the edges.

This next part is not so much a complaint I guess. I was drunk in Vegas at a Rugby tournament, and I put my N1 in the same pocket as my wallet which has a metal money clip on it. Needless to say the money clip scratched the phone on the face, but the Zagg Shield DID do its job here. It protected the phone from what otherwise would be a deep scratch. However, there is now a slight bubble where the impact happened. How do I get that bubble out? Can I peel off and re-apply?

In any case, I do manual labor and I think I want something more likely to protect the N1 in case of a drop. Possibly a silicon case? any of you guys have any ideas? Price is not really on object. I have no problem paying $20-$30 for a good case.

Thanks in advance for your help.

phaelenp

Feb 15, 2010
I've been looking at the Case-Mate Nexus One Tough case potentially. I've been happy with hybrid cases in the past for other phones. Should be well protected if you put on the screen protector as well. I've been waiting for someone to put up a review on here before committing to buying cuz it's $30 it but it sure looks like the nicest N1 case I've seen so far.

UmbraeSoulsbane

Jan 24, 2010
I have a similar zagg clone (clear-coat). I like it, but you are right about them being hard to install. Mine came defective with dents in them, but the company is unreachable to cash in on the guarantee. I had to dispute charges.

Zagg has local stores here that will do the install, so I will be getting one of those soon. It should solve the installation and defect problems.

Overall, I like the shield, but dents like you have require replacement since the glue has set. You cannot reapply after removal.

As for cases, be careful. I bought a case from pdair.com and got screwed. They thing did not fit and it costs 3X more to ship it back to china for a refund. I am waiting for cases to show up in stores.

Moximos

Feb 17, 2010
I'm pretty unimpressed with my Zagg screen shield as well, it seems to have reduced screen visibility a fair amount. I also had the same problem with the sponge packet bursting in shipping. The card you use to smooth the screen over seems to have caught a couple of times on the uneven surface causing it to look... splotchy. And with the final product my finger grips the screen too well making it difficult to draw/drag smoothly over the surface.

Even with a silicon case you're still going to need a film shield to protect the screen if you're knocking your phone around a lot. I'm using the Innocase II which fits really well without making the phone huge (which will annoyingly dig into the sides of any full width film screen shields too).

jamesyb0i

Oct 17, 2009
the zagg skin is alive! it will heal itself over time :p

When I applied mine, the spray prevented any fingerprints (so weird/cool) but that was for my magic, no need for nexus screen protector

palosjr

Jul 25, 2009
Houston
i just had the invisibleshield installed today at my local mall kiosk (baybrook mall in clear lake Texas) it was 21.65 with tax, shield, and install cost included. not bad so far. its a great deal and i have one on my iPod Touch, G1, myTouch3g as well as my N1 now.

only complaint about the screen protector from today is that it was defective. im gonna wait and see if these imperfections go away, if not, thats why Zagg offers the invisible shield warranty.

legend0fthefall

May 27, 2009
I use to be a supporter of zagg.

Now that I have had a couple of touch screen phones, I am no longer a happy supporter.

Yes, zagg does it's job BEAUTIFULLY. I've had my phone jump from my hands and skid across gravelly concrete. Not a scratch on it. And the one time I actually managed to scratch zagg, still not sure how--some combination of fluid and fingernail trying to clean a smudge.... which leads to why I will no longer purchase zagg.

With use, where you touch the most, black smudges start to form on the zagg. These DO NOT come off. They are uncleanable. And they get darker and darker with use. I've had my Nexus now for a month and a half and black smudges from left to right in the middle of the screen and from top to bottom on the right hand side of the screen. This happened on My G1 and my MyTouch as well.

I can find no solution to this issue and since they are not scratches, zagg does not honor the lifetime warranty. I no longer recommend zagg.

c_licious

Aug 14, 2009
I realize its the most popular amongst the people on this forum, and I purchased it based off of the pole for protectors here. Here are my complaints though.

First of all, the package containing the sponge broke open in shipping and leaked everywhere. But I added some water as the directions say and proceeded with the install.

My second problem was with installation. It seemed no matter how many times I wet my fingers they would either leave a fingerprint or my fingers would stick to the shield. Centering each piece a pain. Maybe I didn't wet it enough? Not sure. But I had to peel it off and start over several times on certain pieces. The corners were the hardest, and even with the "palming" method, It still bubbles out a bit on the edges.

This next part is not so much a complaint I guess. I was drunk in Vegas at a Rugby tournament, and I put my N1 in the same pocket as my wallet which has a metal money clip on it. Needless to say the money clip scratched the phone on the face, but the Zagg Shield DID do its job here. It protected the phone from what otherwise would be a deep scratch. However, there is now a slight bubble where the impact happened. How do I get that bubble out? Can I peel off and re-apply?

In any case, I do manual labor and I think I want something more likely to protect the N1 in case of a drop. Possibly a silicon case? any of you guys have any ideas? Price is not really on object. I have no problem paying $20-$30 for a good case.

Thanks in advance for your help.

If you want something that will protect your phone from serious impact I would go with this high-duty case. Its kinda expensive but from what I can tell by far the sturdiest out there. Case Mate Google Nexus One Tough

If you want something a little thinner with still pretty sturdy protection I would go with the Seidio Innocase II

If you are looking for something that might not protect as well from serious drops but still offers great bump and scratch protection at an affordable price I'd order the Nexus One Candy Skin Case That's the one I just ordered. Hope this helps. Do us a favor and post an update/review once you've gotten your case.

D

Deleted member 2351944

I really wanted to be happy with the Zagg on my iPhone. The material was such an interesting piece of tech. I ordered the full phone skin - front and back.

The installation is, of course, a pain. I wasn't really worried about that. You only have to install it once.

I was religious about following the directions, and installed it with no particular problems, then let it dry for 12 hours or so. After this, there were thin vertical lines running up the phone's screen. Looked like some of the liquid got trapped under the screen protector even though I was extremely careful with the squeegee and pushed quite hard to get everything out.

I contacted Zagg, and they gave me B.S. about not letting it cure for 24 hours. They claimed that using the phone without letting it dry for 24 hours was the cause of it. Which isn't even logical, but to their credit, they offered a one-time complimentary replacement if I paid shipping.

So I was now out the cost of the skin, plus shipping times two. But I was again okay with this if it worked as well as they said.

The second installation had no problems with the lines on the screen. It only took a few days, though, before dirt and debris began working their way under the protector. The back was the worst - the edges began peeling away and there was nothing I could do to get them to stick. The front skin got crap under the edges and the edges never properly stuck back down after they were cleaned. But, of course, you can't remove it and re-apply. Couple all of that with the orange-peel effect of the screen and the reduced sensitivity and I was just thoroughly unimpressed with the whole setup. Protection was fine but it was constantly peeling up and dirt was getting trapped under it. I gave up and ditched it.

maxawesome

Apr 25, 2008
Seattle
With use, where you touch the most, black smudges start to form on the zagg. These DO NOT come off. They are uncleanable. And they get darker and darker with use. I've had my Nexus now for a month and a half and black smudges from left to right in the middle of the screen and from top to bottom on the right hand side of the screen. This happened on My G1 and my MyTouch as well.

I can find no solution to this issue and since they are not scratches, zagg does not honor the lifetime warranty. I no longer recommend zagg.

Soap and water, bruh.

Not on the Zagg, but on your hands like once or twice a day.

airforcefly1987

Jan 31, 2010
nexus one gel case

Not allowed to post links yet but I purchased this very good gel case from eBay for 9.95 w/ free shipping. Looks great. Its a smoked colored case. There's also more colors. I can't confirm the quality of the hard cases but I can assure you that the one I have works great.

The seller is pawavenue...check it out

Makaijin

Oct 31, 2007
Although this time round I used Bodyguardz, a lot of people on this forum swear by Best Skins Ever (BSE) due to it using a similar (same?) material from zagg but at a quarter of the price.

kpjimmy

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio TX
Nothing Phone 1
Google Pixel 7
I was open minded about the Zagg product because I love my customized zagg skin with a pic of my daughter protecting my phone....my baby protecting my baby lol....

I first had the BSE full set up, which I pretty much botched up on my own impatience so I opted for the Zagg products. First I removed the BSE screen guard and put on the invisible shield on. The fit to me was more off than the BSE. I know nothing will completely fit the N1 but come one, get close! Second, the touch was way too bumpy compared to my BSE and I said screw it and installed another BSE screen guard on and now completely satisfied.

I know have a customized Zaggskin, and a BSE screen guard, best of bost worlds IMO.

Now only if BSE would customize skins, I'd be all over it lol. I admit, the Zaggskin is not a perfect fit either, but it does cover most whereas the BSE full body shield covers the corners a little better.
DSC_0123%5B1%5D.jpg

DSC_0125%5B1%5D.jpg

DSC_0128%5B1%5D.jpg

DSC_0131%5B1%5D.jpg

turbo31

Jan 12, 2011
Zagg Invisible SHIELD Cart Info

I own a Zagg cart here in Houston at West Oaks Mall. The black smudges everyone is complaining about is a defect in the shield. This is covered under Zaggs warranty. You can take your shield to a local mall with a Zagg Cart in it and have it replaced for a small install fee. I have seen what everyone is talking about but it is a very rare occurrence. You can take your shield back for any problems such as discoloration, scratches, indentions, or any flaws that have happened to the shield. Look on Zaggs website to find the closest Zagg mall cart to get this taken care of. I am not promoting myself but this should imply for all Zagg carts. We are here to help anyone who wishes not to earthier install the shield themselves or to get warranties taken care of for existing Zagg shield owners. The shield WILL look bad if not properly installed. At our location we are very picky how a shield leaves and we even include a 15 labor warranty on all new purchases for our customers. Basically we screw it up we eat it.( not literally. lol) I have been using this product long before my wife and I bought this franchise. We bought this because we believe in the product as long as it's installed right the first time. Also for those who cannot get the shield to dry fast enough try to use a hair dryer that does NOT have a ion setting or one you can shut off. This will help things go a lot easier for smaller devices such as a 3rd Gen iPod touch. All I am asking is to give it another chance for those who have already tried it. If you have a hard time installing it then take it to a Zagg cart. We do this literally all day long, and every day. We are kind of good at it. By the way if you want to know if you have the shield properly installed there is only one way to tell....NO BUBBLES WHAT SO EVER. Even small bubbles can cause a headache later. If anybody has a problem with the shield come see us. If you do not have a receipt do not worry about it. Just come to us or any InvisibleSHEILD mall cart. I have this on my Ipod Touch 4th gen, iPad, iPhone 4, MyTouch 3G Slide, DSi XL, PSP, Zune HD, and I have a Zaggskin on my 17" Macbook Pro. I have had the shields on my devices for a while and I have had no issues with it. The product does work. By the way I have joined this site to learn how to root my MyTouch 3G Slide. So for those of you thinking I used this space to promote myself or other Zagg carts is wrong. I just wanted to let y'all know what I know about everything to hopefully help someone out. This site has a ton of information so I thought I would provide some of my own is all.

Last edited:

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
I absolutely hate mine.

While I must admit, it has protected my phone from screen scratches and back scratches, it doesn't protect THE CORNERS (which are most likely to get damaged from a drop) and on top of that, it starts to turn a brownish color over time (I installed mine RIGHT after I bought it in February last year). It looks nasty. I peeled half of it off a few weeks ago (kept the screen and the back only).

I don't like actual cases, because dirt can get behind them and eventually scratch it up bad. This seemed like the best possible option, but my overall satisfaction has been maybe a 5/10.

android01

Apr 20, 2010
Toronto
Otterbox defender , with a dcmugen88 antiglare screen protector is uber.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

sublimaze

Oct 13, 2010
i love zagg skins. i have used them on 5 different phones without any issues. i admit the first installation was tricky and took me half an hour to get it perfect, but just like anything else, it gets easier with experience. if you're not very good with decals, buy one from a kiosk or best buy and have the salesperson install it

zagg skins are well worth the money. i have dropped a phone from 3 feet onto concrete and there wasn't a scratch on it

-123-

Feb 8, 2011
I bought the full body protection 2 weeks ago for my blackberry torch and the phone fell out of my pocket onto concrete and the scratch went through the invisibleshield and scratched my phone! I called their customer service line and the operator that I was speaking to said that it is scratch proof from a certain altitude ... so how does it still make sense to call the product scratch proof? :confused: