Official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 now available via Kies!

Search This thread

ou812bkewl

Dec 11, 2010
Orange
Baseband Ver - I777UCMD8
Radio Software Ver - 8

7amu4u3e.jpg

Last edited:

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
Is it fairly easy to root? I think I'll wait for an Odin flashable version before I give it a whirl.

Odin flashable version available in the Download Repository. I may create a stock plus root version sometime in the next week, but I'm too busy for the next couple of days to even think about it. Haven't heard if it can be rooted easily; no one has talked about it. If you're adventurous, you could try Framaroot and let us know.

R

redherring79

I didn't know about that Framaroot thing. Seems like it'd be easier if it works. Haha. I rooted it by flashing a CWM-based kernel for i9000 in Odin, rebooting into recovery and flashing one of the JB kernels for i777, and then downloaded SU from the Play Store. That long, convoluted method works if Framaroot doesn't.

ferrocene

May 7, 2010
I didn't know about that Framaroot thing. Seems like it'd be easier if it works. Haha. I rooted it by flashing a CWM-based kernel for i9000 in Odin, rebooting into recovery and flashing one of the JB kernels for i777, and then downloaded SU from the Play Store. That long, convoluted method works if Framaroot doesn't.

The radio is working well on CM10. Don't think I'll go back to Samsung. Are newer ROMs free of the brick bug?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda app-developers app

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
Why are we so pumping up about this 4.1.2 release?
Aren't we using 4.1.2 six months ago? and 4.2.2 months ago?
So it is an official release from AT&T, meaning their loyal clients were still running ICS 'til now? Wow

Reactions: SteveMurphy
R

redherring79

It seems like a good base to tweak and customize once rooted. The modem is fantastic. Probably the best one I've used in my area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

hitchb

Nov 13, 2008
Odin flashable version available in the Download Repository. I may create a stock plus root version sometime in the next week, but I'm too busy for the next couple of days to even think about it. Haven't heard if it can be rooted easily; no one has talked about it. If you're adventurous, you could try Framaroot and let us know.

I'm getting a 404 for the link in the repository.

UPDATE: Never mind, it just worked. File host must've been down. Thanks!

tedkunich

Nov 15, 2010
Why are we so pumping up about this 4.1.2 release?
Aren't we using 4.1.2 six months ago? and 4.2.2 months ago?
So it is an official release from AT&T, meaning their loyal clients were still running ICS 'til now? Wow

+1.

Even if I did not puke at the sight of a Sammy ROM, would never consider flashing a bloat loaded ATT firmware, ever.

T

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

sir_dwtc

Apr 18, 2012
It's actually kind of decent

+1.

Even if I did not puke at the sight of a Sammy ROM, would never consider flashing a bloat loaded ATT firmware, ever.

T

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I hated the AT&T ICS ROM, but this one isn't so bad. I would be (and had been until recently) using CM10.1, but my company's email client won't work with Android 4.2, so I'm stuck with needing a 4.1 ROM. I had been using ShoStock 3, which is good in a lot of ways, but it always seems like if it's not an official Samsung ROM or CM, it doesn't really feel "together" for me.

This AT&T JB ROM actually does seem good. Sure it has a bunch of useless Motion gimmick features, and there is the usual bloat, but I was able to root (as mentioned above with Framaroot -- the Aragorn exploit) and disable almost all of the bloat. NFC isn't supported (which is absolutely stupid), but I never had a real use for that anyway. There are lockscreen shortcuts, resizable widgets, and pretty much all of the good JB features are there. In the ICS ROM they made the Power settings widget completely useless by making it take up 2 rows so it could include useless toggles, so I was hoping to see that they had gone back to the single row widget, but it looks like they dropped it completely. In general, things are responsive and smooth, and bright and happy, without being too cartoonish.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather be on CM, and if my IT department ever updates the Lotus Traveler software to a version that actually works with 4.2, I'll do it in a heartbeat, but in the meantime, I think this is the best 4.1 ROM I could ask for.

NBA Brawler

Aug 20, 2010
Did the update get rid of the android keyboard for any of yall? I updated and I noticed the android keyboard is missing. I went to get it from the play store and it says its already installed but I can't find it anywhere in my phone. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is it fairly easy to root? I think I'll wait for an Odin flashable version before I give it a whirl.

Baseband Ver - I777UCMD8
    Radio Software Ver - 8

7amu4u3e.jpg
    can anyone help me please? .. after downloading the firmware upgrade a prompt will pop up and says " failed to run firmware upgrade. unknown error occured. i realy want to upgrade my device . please anyone help me :(

You can flash the stock firmware using Odin, but it isn't exactly the same process as upgrading via Kies, in that you will need to perform a wipe data/factory reset which will mean you will lose all installed applications and user settings.

Loot at this thread from earlier today for the basics, and if you have questions feel free to ask.
    [*]"After recovery has been restarted, go into kernel specific options and Reset ExTweaks profiles"
    [*]"Fix permissions in recovery"
    [/LIST]

Both of those are accomplished in the custom recovery with menu options. I'm not using that kernel, but I would assume that the first one would be under a menu item that is called "kernel specific options" and "Fix Permissions" would be found in the "Advanced" menu. But just look around in recovery after you have rebooted to it, and you will find them.
    Looks like there's a Release Candidate for CM10 for my i777. I'd like to move back to CM from the official 4.1.2 I installed with Kies awhile back (the AT&T / Samsung 4.1.2 has some battery life, and occasional lock-up, issues for me).

I used Creepy's excellent "How to Flash Custom Binaries Without Ever Incrementing the Flash counter!!" instructions to go from the phone's orig Gingerbread to CM9 earlier, and it worked w/o a hitch. Can I just try that with the current ROM ? or do I need to use the "return to stock GB method" before that ? (i.e. are there any issues I should be aware of with getting my i777 with this ROM to state where I can do a CWM flash of CM10 :confused: )

Thanks!

Are you still rooted, or did you lose root when you upgraded to 4.1.2?

If you have root, then you can install Mobile Odin Lite or Mobile Odin Pro and use it to install the AJK kernel that works with stock 4.1.2.

If you don't currently have root, you should be able to root using Framaroot.

After you have the custom kernel with custom recovery, you can then flash your desired firmware.