[Q] [Opinion] Why do all the roms look the same?

Search This thread

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
I guess it's been missed by the moderators then as any comparison is against the rules.

Well, it's not comparisons "per say", but more like "What's the best ROM/Kernel/Theme etc" type posts. These things are subjective by nature, and what one person likes, another may not. Or what works great on one device, may not work so well on another (sometimes devices differ based on build revisions).

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Well, it's not comparisons "per say", but more like "What's the best ROM/Kernel/Theme etc" type posts. These things are subjective by nature, and what one person likes, another may not. Or what works great on one device, may not work so well on another (sometimes devices differ based on build revisions).

Its still a comparison and them's the rules.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
@Moscow Desire

rootSU and I are talking about the OP's part of the post which stated that he will open a thread where he will make comparisons of all sorts. rootSU was simply stating that it's against the rules to do so. You can check the part of the post over here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54316248&postcount=6

A Stickie in the general section which was created by a Forum mod (soupmagnet) states that comparison between rom/kernel/phone or anything of that sort isn't allowed. http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/general/message-moderators-users-please-read-t2500184 (4th Point)

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator

Note that by saying this I mean no disrespect to the cookers or kitchen teams. Their work is highly appreciated.

Is it just me? Am I missing something?

Well, back in the old days, things were hopping. New Mods, new features, look cool things...

But that was a few years ago.

Little by little, Google modified the AOSP code, adding features (more than likely from XDA). But Google is not concerned with "look good" things. They leave it up to manufacturers with skins and such. Apps progress, hardware gets better, new features are added (and mods for shortcomings that nobody thought of).

But eventually, you get to a point where you just cant change the way things look. Just add on to it. Honestly, the stock look is ok with most, as mostly users are within apps, not the interface.

Any changes to the UI or Frameworks, required decompiling, changing xml and smali code. Most folks have never ventured into this aspect. Not to mention the diversity in APKTool versions running from a CMD window.

Then comes "Exposed" modules. Now all the look cool features, mods, tweaks, etc, can be done without changing any of the apks (for the most part) to get the desired look, and add features that the manufacturers just didn't put in.

Things have become so much easier to cook ROMs. Now, we need not mess with APKTool, and can use a windows interface to decompile, alter, and recompile in a manner of a minute. Compare, copy and paste all from within the same app (explains why lots of ROMs pretty much have the exact same features) It's too easy to do now days for folks who really don't know how to cook.

So do all ROMs look the same? Pretty much, until you add the features via exposed modules. After all, ROMs are all derived from AOSP from Google.

Reactions: vin4yak

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
@Moscow Desire

rootSU and I are talking about the OP's part of the post which stated that he will open a thread where he will make comparisons of all sorts. rootSU was simply stating that it's against the rules to do so. You can check the part of the post over here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54316248&postcount=6

A Stickie in the general section which was created by a Forum mod (soupmagnet) states that comparison between rom/kernel/phone or anything of that sort isn't allowed. http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/general/message-moderators-users-please-read-t2500184 (4th Point)

Well, here is where things "might" get a little confusing.

"Best ROM/Kernel" etc threads are of course not allow just as the stickie stated. Why? Because of the tendency of causing arguments between folks loyal to a particular ROM or Dev. This is based on a lot of things being subjective.

Having a spreadsheet of features available to a ROM is pretty much no argument, as it's common knowledge and typically stated in the OP of each ROM thread. It's fact, and "not" subjective to how it runs on a device.

Having fields like "seems quicker, less crashes, smoother, prettier, etc" are subjective comments and of course would not be allowed. Benchmarks.... cough cough.... are, well, you know.

See where I'm going with this?

Personally, I think it's way too time consuming to flash every ROM and every OS version. The features are already listed. If somebody thinks it's necessary to itemize each specific feature (in ROM Updates, Halo, Pie, etc) well, I wish them luck, and will check back next year when it's finished.

But I certainly wouldn't have an issue with it. Besides, it would have to be continuously updated every time a cook makes a new release, or the thread would be closed eventually.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
I only mention it because I've seen links to these spreadsheets removed from posts. Don't put the effort in if you can't share it. Best for the OP to ask one of our FSMs

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    While all my examples were about theming, I didn't want to focus just on theming. I don't see roms using custom launchers or even a custom theme or kernel.. Nor do they integrate apps from other devices or from the market/devs here on XDA. Every cm11 based rom is pretty much the same functionality wise and I don't even want to talk about the stock based ones.

I thought that nexus owners being them users or developers bought the devices because it would be easier to use or create custom roms for them due to the openness of the system.

Also if it is illegal to post stuff with closed source code (and I know it is) why do all the other devices have a ****load of roms with proprietary stuff in them?? They're still pretty much available here (I'm thinking of the live with Walkman forum)..

Most roms there have stuff from newer and better devices which do actually work and that phone is really poor on terms of hardware specs.

It seems to me that most cookers for the nexus 5 are cooking the same dish but calling it different names because they might plate it In a different way.

It's a bit late now for me now, but I guess sooner or later I'm going to create a deviation of the rom list available as a Google document here and try every rom and compare them feature wise. So I can know for sure if I'm right with what I say here or if it's just a product of my imagination.

well, then nexus romming wont be right for you.

on second thought, the nexus 5 is definitely not right for you.

there are many roms that include custom kernels. and, there is a large number of custom kernels that you yourself can CHOOSE to flash on your own.

and the thing about nexus devices, all of them, is that they dont include bloat. which is another reason people buy them. the far majority of people here dont want roms to add more apps. again, you can do that on your own. it gives you choice of what you want, and you dont. many here like roms debloated.

and you talk about cm as its something big. cm isnt big for the nexus 5, its aosp. thats what people want. they want the pureness. not the over-hacked bloated of a rom. and again, thats what people buy nexus devices. we have full source. no over hackery needed, its clean and pure.

the proprietary stuff comes with the phones already, so people that buy those phones have a right to it. anyways, people that arent part of open source steal it. sometimes they get in trouble, sometimes they dont. legally, they can get in trouble if they distribute it. people that are part of open source respect others rights, and adhere to the rules and practices.

and there are two kinds of developer forums here, if you haven't noticed. android development and original development. in original development, they create an original piece of work. in android development, they take whats already out there, and do what they want with it.

it also seems as you think of the same and original works are about features. well, they are not. most of it is going to be inside the rom itself. like things that add speed, smoothness, and efficiency. most of the features are just added into the roms later, what its users like.

there are so many ways that you can make a rom your own, original. there are multitudes of ways you can mod what you are running. be creative, set it up as you personally like. make it yours.
    @Moscow Desire

Hi.

I don't post much, I know, but I've been a lurker for quite a while. Anyway, long story short, I had a SGS for a while and by then (when it was new and shiny and the best thing of the world) every (or almost every) custom rom had something that distinguished it from the others (even with all the locked and closed source stuff). Either a new launcher, supercharged scripts, themes... you probably know what I mean. Fast-forward to 2014 and here I am with a brand new Nexus 5 with readily available source and binaries... I mean it's the or one of the most open phones in the world.

But, every custom ROM, be it stock or CM based, looks the same to me. Sure, names differ a lot (Dark UI, Black Carbon Fibers or whatever it is) but the overall functionality is the same. Innovation (or Imagination?) is near null values.

Apart from a few (SlimKat comes to mind even tho it has much of the functionality of the others, it's quite small in size compared) every rom looks the same. Not to mention there is quite less roms available for the device than for others.

Note that by saying this I mean no disrespect to the cookers or kitchen teams. Their work is highly appreciated.

Is it just me? Am I missing something?

by look the same, you mean theming? you can do your own theming. nexus devices are lucky, they have access to source and the binaries, the other devices dont. from what i see, most other devices try to get aosp working on them, but dont fully or in a non hacky way. so they try other stuff with their roms, like more theming. people mostly buy nexus devices because they lack all the oem thrown in stuff and run pure android. the developers buy nexus devices for the same reason. generally, there isnt much demand for theming a nexus rom. nexus people like the basic android ui, as well as the developers. plus, id say that the over all age of nexus users is a little older than other android phones, and theming is more prefered by children and teenagers.

oh, and btw, nexus developers only use open source code, as its illegal to publish anything public using closed sourced code. anyways, nexus is all ooen source code, except for the binaries.
    Whatever you say we all love our Nexus 5 and what it offers..:D
    IMHO, the list about OP is talking about is much more a "feature list" than a "comparison list".

I didn't quote the OP, did I?? I was replying to the other two. :)