The Recovery Battle: WCX vs Twrp vs CWM

Search This thread

dizzyraider

Jan 9, 2007
Huntington Beach, CA
just used TWRP on my Sprint Gnex and love the interface! I used CWM on my old Epic 4G and it worked great too. To me, seeing all the options on that screen is easier....seems stable.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Great point but how would the average Joe know that about a rom before a flash? I'd love to be able to know that and avoid bricking altogether (but wouldn't we all). any tips?

Never used TWRP myself and nothing really against it as it does look nice, but from what I have read is that since it is not build for the Raider/Vivid from the ground up, so it may not be as stable in its current form.

cruzin_cruzing

Dec 30, 2010
Never used TWRP myself and nothing really against it as it does look nice, but from what I have read is that since it is not build for the Raider/Vivid from the ground up, so it may not be as stable in its current form.
Whatever you've read is wrong. It's built from thecubed latest ICS source. I've beta tested it and even those builds were pretty stable. The latest version has almost no issues.

Reactions: thecubed

bigballa

Feb 24, 2009
Atlanta
www.twitter.com
Whatever you've read is wrong. It's built from thecubed latest ICS source. I've beta tested it and even those builds were pretty stable. The latest version has almost no issues.

TWRP hands down is great. CWM touch was my first favorite but twrp refines the UI that's was makes it the best Touch recovery there is. If you want non touch recovery then cwm hands down.

Sent from my HTC One X 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

ronnie498

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 22, 2010
WCX in my opinion the best choice....

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

Reactions: ccb101

austin4913

Mar 30, 2012
College Station, TX
Agreed...I had issues w cwm. Wcx is what I use on my vivid...just wish the HOX development was further along...but progress takes time..

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

thecubed

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
CWM still has a lot of issues. It's been causing quite a few hard bricks. Anyone that still has it, I would highly suggest switching to WCX recovery. I have yet to try TWRP but from what I've heard from all the devs, it still has a few kinks. I wouldn't recommend anything other than WCX at the moment.

I don't really see it as whats "preferred". You don't want something on your device that can potentially cause a hard brick. A recovery is something you don't use very often, so it's best to go with the one that just works.

CWM has not hard bricked a single phone. The only 'bricks' are caused by bad ROM devs who format /cache in a strange way. To fix this, just boot to fastboot then issue "fastboot erase cache". Done. CWM does not brick phones, it CANT.

slapshot30

Feb 21, 2010
Nebraska
CWM has not hard bricked a single phone. The only 'bricks' are caused by bad ROM devs who format /cache in a strange way. To fix this, just boot to fastboot then issue "fastboot erase cache". Done. CWM does not brick phones, it CANT.

I'm sorry, I should've been more specific. The majority of issues came with the ICS update with regards to rooting. I don't know all the details. All I remember is what Wildchild said and reading all those threads with people with hard bricks involving CWM and the ICS update.

Sent from my HTC Holiday using xda premium

Reactions: thecubed

theshamrockking

Mar 6, 2011
Phoenix
Alright I have used CWM on plenty of phones and I originally started my vivid off with WCX (I loved it!) I am now on TWRP I have to say that having used CWM on so many devices and for so long that TWRD is just to fancy for me :p i plan on continuing to use TWRP untill the rom in using get its next update in wich then ill go through the time time to change back to WCX. Now dont get me wrong TWRP is amazing for a recovery. Works fast looks nice i had no issues with it but like i said i like the simple idea of a recovery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Y'know if CWM loops, it's because your rom of choice had a useless ext4 performance tuning script in it that changed some of the mount options of /cache.

If you have CWM and find that after flashing a ROM that does weird things to your Vivid, just reboot to fastboot, then issue "fastboot erase cache" then boot to recovery and format /cache.

CWM hasn't caused any hard bricks, it's ROM developers that aren't properly checking their 'init.d tweaks' and updater-scripts. Now that we have s-off, a bad tweak or updater-script can and WILL make your phone hard to fix.
    CWM still has a lot of issues. It's been causing quite a few hard bricks. Anyone that still has it, I would highly suggest switching to WCX recovery. I have yet to try TWRP but from what I've heard from all the devs, it still has a few kinks. I wouldn't recommend anything other than WCX at the moment.

I don't really see it as whats "preferred". You don't want something on your device that can potentially cause a hard brick. A recovery is something you don't use very often, so it's best to go with the one that just works.
    Nice answer, right now I'm on the stock RUU ICS rom with an unlocked bootloader and I want to flash the WCX recovery, I just have to put the wcxrecovery.img in the microSD root, enter in Hboot, select recovery and then flash it with "fastboot flash recovery wcxrecovery.exe"?

Do I have to make a backup of something after doing this?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Actually, just put the wcxrecovery on your computer where you have adb and fastboot set up. If you don't know where that is, just download the wcxjb root zip from the guide in my signature and unzip it to your desktop. Enter hboot on your phone and select fastboot. Shift + right click on your computer inside the folder you just unzipped and select open a command window here. THEN, type in the command "fastboot flash recovery wcxrecovery.img" and you're good to go.
    Crap I moved back to linux after I s-off'ed, is there anyway I can use fastboot without having to dig out my aging Pentium 4?

I know it's possible, but I've never tried it. The best tip I've picked up from the guide was this
    - Tip 3: On Linux, remember to run fastboot under sudo
    If you have any idea what that means, it may be of help to you.
    Crap I moved back to linux after I s-off'ed, is there anyway I can use fastboot without having to dig out my aging Pentium 4?
    Just download and install the Android SDK for linux, what distribution are you using?

I suppose you're using Ubuntu or some .deb based distribution, this tutorial may serve for you:

Running something on "sudo" is giving superuser attributes to the processes and services that a program or whatever you are running needs to have to function properly. Yes it's important when you flash with fastboot.

If you can flash on a laptop will be better for you, a friend of mine bricked his galaxy sII when he was flashing and there was an electricity short.