Install OTA 4.2.1 update on stock N4 - The Easy Way!

Search This thread

skillllllz

Jan 1, 2011
First connect to WiFi and make sure you can access the web.
Next put the N4 into airplane mode.
Then go to Settings > Apps > All > Google Services Framework > Clear data
Take the N4 out of airplane mode and let it connect to WiFi.
After a few minutes, you will be prompted to install the OTA update.

If you are not prompted within 10 minutes, open the dialer and force a "checkin" by typing: *#*#2432546#*#*
After "checkin succeded" message, you should be prompted to install the update.

Enjoy!

albundy2010

Sep 24, 2010
You have to be standing in the bathroom for it to work.

No. But for real. Updates are pushed out in waves. If your device is not on the current wave you will not get the update. That's it.

Don't want to wait. Do it manually.

bline007

Sep 10, 2011
Chicago

skillllllz

Jan 1, 2011
This is the easy way reboot to cwm and flash done

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

"Easy" is a relative term. Not everyone here, especially in the "General" forum is comfortable yet with flashing alternative recoveries or using abd, etc. This is meant for the novice and/or purist who does not want to alter the phone in order to receive and apply the update. This method does in fact work. Quite often the device is ready to receive the update, but the built in automatic & manual checkin fails to trigger the process. Clearing the GSF data forces the device to initiate it almost immediately, as opposed to waiting an undetermined amount of time for the device to resolve the issue on its own.

My advice to the audience who this is intended for: If this did not work for you now, try it again in a few hours or tomorrow, I assure you it will be much faster than waiting for it to happen naturally. In fact, to prove my point further, go ahead and try the manual checkin (under settings > about phone > system updates) first, each time, before you try this. You'll eventually see what I mean. FYI - Every Nexus device has behaved this way.

Girn

Dec 20, 2009
How come I can't get the update to install either in CWM or from OTA?? If I do OTA the phone reboots into CWM and I get an "assert failed" and installation aborted.... And if I manually go into CWM and "update from SD card" option I get the same issue!

bline007

Sep 10, 2011
Chicago
How come I can't get the update to install either in CWM or from OTA?? If I do OTA the phone reboots into CWM and I get an "assert failed" and installation aborted.... And if I manually go into CWM and "update from SD card" option I get the same issue!

If you changed your build.prop it will fail. U need to have stock build.prop.

I see your point skillllz

Girn

Dec 20, 2009
I have a stock build prop.. All I've done is Root and cwm

Girn

Dec 20, 2009
Still doesn't work and I did a factory reset just now.. Get assert failed something about genie widget.odex then all these numbers and the file name then installation failed status 7

noodles2224

Jan 10, 2009
Still doesn't work and I did a factory reset just now.. Get assert failed something about genie widget.odex then all these numbers and the file name then installation failed status 7

That means you removed genie widget.odex . put the file back or any other that you deleted and it will go through. I deleted currents, books, earth, genie, videos and a few more and it failed on the update and its because you have to have the same build prop or same apps back

Sent from my Nexus 4

uberNoobZA

Oct 10, 2008
Oxford
Worked for me thanks.

As I have CWM, CWM asked if I want to flash untrusted update - I said yes. After isntall, I rebooted back to Recovery (as it said something about restoring stock recovery while installing update). CWM was still there. I told CWM to reboot and it said 'you may have lost root'. I selected yes to fix root and it rebooted. all seems fine now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First connect to WiFi and make sure you can access the web.
    Next put the N4 into airplane mode.
    Then go to Settings > Apps > All > Google Services Framework > Clear data
    Take the N4 out of airplane mode and let it connect to WiFi.
    After a few minutes, you will be prompted to install the OTA update.

If you are not prompted within 10 minutes, open the dialer and force a "checkin" by typing: *#*#2432546#*#*
    After "checkin succeded" message, you should be prompted to install the update.

Enjoy!
    You only need to clear data of google services framework, then check for updates. Rinse and repeat until it works - usually 1-5 times.

All those other steps aren't necessary.