[Q] Kindle Fire bricked, have factory cable but can't boot recovery, please help!

Search This thread

farkuldi

May 6, 2013
Hi. I am really in a jam here. I have read a lot of documentation and still am not getting anywhere. I bought my sister a Kindle Fire for her birthday, and after reading the Kindle Fire for Beginner's Guide, I was able to successfully install Cyanogenmod 10.1 It was working fine, but I gave it some thought and decided she would be better off with the stock software, so I followed the instructions here to revert.

However, somewhere in that process I bricked the device. I went through the installing the Amazon software again in TWRP and told the device to reboot, but it is now stuck on the boot screen and will not respond to adb commands I send it.

I used the Kindle Fire Utility to install TWRP again, and it said it was successfully installed. I tried to boot into it through the Kindle Fire Utility menu, but it is still stuck.

It just so happens that I have a fastboot cable for this, so I plugged it in and tried to boot into recovery by issuing

C:\kfu\tools>fastboot oem idme bootmode 5001

It just says:
<waiting for device>

and nothing happens.

I don't know what else to do. I do think this factory cable put me in fastboot mode because the Windows device manager is showing "Android ADB Interface" (which according to Kindle Fire for Beginners is what it is supposed to say if the drivers are good and I am in fastboot mode), but I do not know how else to make use of this.

I am really stuck here, and I hope someone will take the time to help. My sister's birthday is in two days and I need to get this Kindle fixed and in the mail :(

Last edited:
Hi. I am really in a jam here. I have read a lot of documentation and still am not getting anywhere. I bought my sister a Kindle Fire for her birthday, and after reading the Kindle Fire for Beginner's Guide, I was able to successfully install Cyanogenmod 10.1 It was working fine, but I gave it some thought and decided she would be better off with the stock software, so I followed the instructions here to revert.

However, somewhere in that process I bricked the device. I went through the installing the Amazon software again in TWRP and told the device to reboot, but it is now stuck on the boot screen and will not respond to adb commands I send it.

I used the Kindle Fire Utility to install TWRP again, and it said it was successfully installed. I tried to boot into it through the Kindle Fire Utility menu, but it is still stuck.

It just so happens that I have a fastboot cable for this, so I plugged it in and tried to boot into recovery by issuing

It just says:
<waiting for device>

and nothing happens.

I don't know what else to do. I do think this factory cable put me in fastboot mode because the Windows device manager is showing "Android ADB Interface" (which according to Kindle Fire for Beginners is what it is supposed to say if the drivers are good and I am in fastboot mode), but I do not know how else to make use of this.

I am really stuck here, and I hope someone will take the time to help. My sister's birthday is in two days and I need to get this Kindle fixed and in the mail :(

First, welcome to Xda-developers

OK. So lets cover the basics.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1428428

^ Download and run that tool. Its very useful for un-bricking your Kindle

Once that is done, reboot into recovery and wipe every things. (sorry, we're going to start you from fresh start)

I'm going to suggest you try to install this ROM

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2103278

The reason being that this one will give you the option to also wipe a few other places (including boot)

Now assuming you still want to keep with stock

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2211872

This is basically the stock ROM by its rooted.

Reactions: farkuldi

farkuldi

May 6, 2013

Once that is done, reboot into recovery and wipe every things. (sorry, we're going to start you from fresh start)

The reason being that this one will give you the option to also wipe a few other places (including boot)

Thank you for your reply! I ran the Kindle Fire unbrick tool with the option "Stuck at logo," and it said "Congratulations, your Kindle should be unbricked. However, nothing had changed. So I ran it with the option "Other . . ." It said:

Code:
error: device not found
 This part might take a while . . .
< waiting for device >

I have left it like that for ten minutes now and nothing is happening. Do you think it is working? I'll leave it alone for an hour or so I guess but I'm wondering.

BTW, for this I just used a regular USB cable and not the factory one. Is that right?

Thanks!

Last edited:

farkuldi

May 6, 2013
Thank you for your reply! I ran the Kindle Fire unbrick tool with the option "Stuck at logo," and it said "Congratulations, your Kindle should be unbricked. However, nothing had changed. So I ran it with the option "Other . . ." It said:

Code:
 This part might take a while . . .
< waiting for device >

I have left it like that for ten minutes now and nothing is happening. Do you think it is working? I'll leave it alone for an hour or so I guess but I'm wondering.

BTW, for this I just used a regular USB cable and not the factory one. Is that right?

Thanks!

The unbrick program didn't work. It just stayed there t <waiting for device>. How can I use the fastboot cable to fix it?

Thanks.

ezproxy

Mar 12, 2012
www.ukproxyfree.com
I had the same problem before. It always says no device found. I tried different PC, finally in my XP PC it is detected and new ROM flashed in

Maybe you should try different PC

farkuldi

May 6, 2013
I had the same problem before. It always says no device found. I tried different PC, finally in my XP PC it is detected and new ROM flashed in

Maybe you should try different PC

I was thinking the same thing. Unfortunately I don't have another PC running Windows. All my others are running Linux, and I don't know how to get the drivers working.

I think I will borrow a laptop from a friend tomorrow and see if it works. It is my sister's 17th birthday today and her present is late!

In the meantime, though, does anyone know how I am supposed to use this fastboot cable? I have looked around and I see a lot of tutorials about how to unbrick without a fastboot cable, but none saying how to do it WITH one. I thought the cable was supposed to make it easier?

Thanks for the help.

ezproxy

Mar 12, 2012
www.ukproxyfree.com
I was thinking the same thing. Unfortunately I don't have another PC running Windows. All my others are running Linux, and I don't know how to get the drivers working.

I think I will borrow a laptop from a friend tomorrow and see if it works. It is my sister's 17th birthday today and her present is late!

In the meantime, though, does anyone know how I am supposed to use this fastboot cable? I have looked around and I see a lot of tutorials about how to unbrick without a fastboot cable, but none saying how to do it WITH one. I thought the cable was supposed to make it easier?

Thanks for the help.

First of all, Happy Birthday to your sister!

I think you may need install the firefirefire utility first to help you out of bootmode sucking. After you successfully reinstall the TWRP using unbrick utility, you need change the fastboot mode to normal boot, the firefirefire can help you choose,
here is the information may help you : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1668159

BrooklynNY

Nov 16, 2012

I think you may need install the firefirefire utility first to help you out of bootmode sucking. After you successfully reinstall the TWRP using unbrick utility, you need change the fastboot mode to normal boot, the firefirefire can help you choose,
here is the information may help you : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1668159
I'd say you didn't read the previous posts.

Reactions: farkuldi

farkuldi

May 6, 2013
Well, now the Kindle Fire is no longer being recognized by my computers. I borrowed another Windows computer like I said I would, but when I plug in the Kindle, the Device Manger does not even register it. Also, usually when I plug it in, the computer will realize I have plugged in a usb device and respond with that little pop up at the task bar, i.e. to let me know it sees a usb device and is trying to install driver, was not able to install drivers, or whatever. But now nothing. The computer doesn't even see it.

I have tried it on two different computers with three different cables and it's the same thing. I have restarted the computer and reinstalled the drivers over and over again and there is no difference. What is going on? It was seeing the Kindle fine before I tried the Unbricking Utility.

Well, now the Kindle Fire is no longer being recognized by my computers. I borrowed another Windows computer like I said I would, but when I plug in the Kindle, the Device Manger does not even register it. Also, usually when I plug it in, the computer will realize I have plugged in a usb device and respond with that little pop up at the task bar, i.e. to let me know it sees a usb device and is trying to install driver, was not able to install drivers, or whatever. But now nothing. The computer doesn't even see it.

I have tried it on two different computers with three different cables and it's the same thing. I have restarted the computer and reinstalled the drivers over and over again and there is no difference. What is going on? It was seeing the Kindle fine before I tried the Unbricking Utility.

I'm assuming you know for sure this was a 1st Generation Kindle, right?

I had this problem once and basically formatted my computer. The driver was the issue and I couldn't uninstall it completely. Using my drivers solved this. I get the feeling you're still trying to use the drivers that came with the utility (don't they're often trouble)

However, assuming you are using the correct drivers (the ones I linked for you).... Boot into TWRP and wipe everything. Don't just use the general, click the advance options and wipe everything (selecting all options manually).

No connect your Kindle and don't worry about it not showing up yet....

Mount your SSD (should suddenly find your kindle) and upload this ROM

Now if you can't even load TWRP (when you turn on the Kindle, you'll need to hold the power button to bring up the menu, then quickly hit it a few times until its on recovery).... But if you can't load TWRP at all, its time to get a factory cable.

If you have a factory cable and still can't find the device (and assuming you're using the right drivers, on a fresh install) .... As someone else who knows how to do this. Because past that, all hope is lost.

Gon Rouge

Jan 24, 2016
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S7
LG G6
I'm assuming you know for sure this was a 1st Generation Kindle, right?

I had this problem once and basically formatted my computer. The driver was the issue and I couldn't uninstall it completely. Using my drivers solved this. I get the feeling you're still trying to use the drivers that came with the utility (don't they're often trouble)

However, assuming you are using the correct drivers (the ones I linked for you).... Boot into TWRP and wipe everything. Don't just use the general, click the advance options and wipe everything (selecting all options manually).

No connect your Kindle and don't worry about it not showing up yet....

Mount your SSD (should suddenly find your kindle) and upload this ROM

Now if you can't even load TWRP (when you turn on the Kindle, you'll need to hold the power button to bring up the menu, then quickly hit it a few times until its on recovery).... But if you can't load TWRP at all, its time to get a factory cable.

If you have a factory cable and still can't find the device (and assuming you're using the right drivers, on a fresh install) .... As someone else who knows how to do this. Because past that, all hope is lost.

Hi, My name i Jonah and i have a Kindle fire (5th generation) That came stock with Amazon's Fire OS Bellini 5.1.1. I tried to flash Cm12 with the app FlashFire (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaCBSuUuhRE&spfreload=10) and during the installation i noticed it stopped for a while and didnt do anything. So i waited then 10 minutes later i decided to turn it off and turn it back on to fix it, when it started to boot up it showed the Cm logo just like as if it was running Cm12. So i waited, maybe 5 min at the most and it still would not turn on. So i turned it off, went online to see ho to get out of a bootloop. Rootjunky said to Turn your Kindle off and run ADB and Fastboot as a command from where you installed your drivers. Then he said he said to enter Recovery mode by pressing vol down and the power button. It is suppose'd to say Recovery-Mode in the corner but it just kept showing the Amazon logo. Im worried i screwed up and broke my new tablet, i can't return it because it's against Amazon's policy to root or mod any content of Amazon's, Plus ADB isn't working i can only access fastboot. I tried fixing it with the stock charger also but how do i know what kind of Android charger should i use?

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Hi, My name i Jonah and i have a Kindle fire (5th generation) That came stock with Amazon's Fire OS Bellini 5.1.1. I tried to flash Cm12 with the app FlashFire (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaCBSuUuhRE&spfreload=10) and during the installation i noticed it stopped for a while and didnt do anything. So i waited then 10 minutes later i decided to turn it off and turn it back on to fix it, when it started to boot up it showed the Cm logo just like as if it was running Cm12. So i waited, maybe 5 min at the most and it still would not turn on. So i turned it off, went online to see ho to get out of a bootloop. Rootjunky said to Turn your Kindle off and run ADB and Fastboot as a command from where you installed your drivers. Then he said he said to enter Recovery mode by pressing vol down and the power button. It is suppose'd to say Recovery-Mode in the corner but it just kept showing the Amazon logo. Im worried i screwed up and broke my new tablet, i can't return it because it's against Amazon's policy to root or mod any content of Amazon's, Plus ADB isn't working i can only access fastboot. I tried fixing it with the stock charger also but how do i know what kind of Android charger should i use?

post in correct forum
Fire Index: Which Amazon (Kindle) Fire Do I have?

jerry777888

Mar 12, 2020
"Failed - Virus detected" Chrome wouldn't let me open it - if you're for real, please re-post the software.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It just says:
    <waiting for device>

and nothing happens.

I'd say you didn't read the previous posts.