How to update sim unlocked AT&T HTC One

Search This thread

ricklhswood

Apr 25, 2013
Hello everyone, I'm a bit of a noob so bare with me. Thanks for taking the time to hear me out.

I have a sim unlocked AT&T HTC One (M7) that I am using on T-mobiles network. I switched over last year and I don't have my AT&T account anymore. The phone is stock, not rooted at all, just sim unlocked.

I have not updated the HTC one at all since I've bought it, and I would like to update to 4.2.2 KitKat but I noticed I cannot update via T-Mobiles network. Help!!!!

P.S. Is there a way for me to update my phone manually without having to find someone with an AT&T sim card?

mb_guy

Sep 6, 2008
Winnipeg
Hello everyone, I'm a bit of a noob so bare with me. Thanks for taking the time to hear me out.

I have a sim unlocked AT&T HTC One (M7) that I am using on T-mobiles network. I switched over last year and I don't have my AT&T account anymore. The phone is stock, not rooted at all, just sim unlocked.

I have not updated the HTC one at all since I've bought it, and I would like to update to 4.2.2 KitKat but I noticed I cannot update via T-Mobiles network. Help!!!!

P.S. Is there a way for me to update my phone manually without having to find someone with an AT&T sim card?

Updates are usually done over wifi rather than the current network, being on T-Mobile should have no effect on the updates. What happens when you check for updates.

dumitresc

Sep 21, 2007
Im in Mexico and I have the same problem..

HTC unlocked.. no update via OTA.. looks like ATT punished all the unlocked phones with no-sending the update.

I can't update the phone,

no via OTA
no via ROM
no via adb push rom.zip (access denied)

no nothing..

ricklhswood

Apr 25, 2013
Updates are usually done over wifi rather than the current network, being on T-Mobile should have no effect on the updates. What happens when you check for updates.

Hey mb_guy, thanks for the reply.

When I am connected to wifi or 4G-LTE and try to update via settings-->about-->software updates nothing happens. It doesn't even try to search for new updates. Another interesting thing is that when I try to search for updates on the phone, I see AT&T even though I have switched over to T-Mobile and am using the T-Mobile Sim Card.

P.S. I did pay for a sim unlock code from a website, could that be the reason why I am unable to update my phone?

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
Im in Mexico and I have the same problem..

HTC unlocked.. no update via OTA.. looks like ATT punished all the unlocked phones with no-sending the update.

I can't update the phone,

no via OTA
no via ROM
no via adb push rom.zip (access denied)

no nothing..

Hey mb_guy, thanks for the reply.

When I am connected to wifi or 4G-LTE and try to update via settings-->about-->software updates nothing happens. It doesn't even try to search for new updates. Another interesting thing is that when I try to search for updates on the phone, I see AT&T even though I have switched over to T-Mobile and am using the T-Mobile Sim Card.

P.S. I did pay for a sim unlock code from a website, could that be the reason why I am unable to update my phone?

You can update it yourself with this RUU and a locked bootloader
http://www.androidruu.com/getdownlo...09_10.26.1718.01L_release_356565_signed_2.exe

Nov 30, 2013
You can update it yourself with this RUU and a locked bootloader

Hello. Another newbie here. Could you post directions on how to use the above file? Do I need a PC, or is there some way copy the the directly onto my HTC One.

I have the same problem as the OP. I have a SIM unlocked AT&T HTC One that is stock with a locked boot loader. I have a prepaid AT&T SIM. But I cannot get the OTA update. I've tried several times to get the KitKat update, but each time it says no update available.

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
Hello. Another newbie here. Could you post directions on how to use the above file? Do I need a PC, or is there some way copy the the directly onto my HTC One.

I have the same problem as the OP. I have a SIM unlocked AT&T HTC One that is stock with a locked boot loader. I have a prepaid AT&T SIM. But I cannot get the OTA update. I've tried several times to get the KitKat update, but each time it says no update available.

the RUU is a windows EXE file just click it and follow the instructions
Back up your phone ! a RUU totally wipes everything from the phone

dumitresc

Sep 21, 2007

Actually when I try to update via ruu, I got an error.. fastboot.exe in windows.. and the installer shows in the messages in: checking header 1/5….

If I disconnect the cellphone.. There is an error with invalid copy or something like that..

A few days ago I tried with adb push rom.zip and I got an error with: permission denied (when I was trying to copy the rom to media/0/ etc..

Im starting to think that the problem is the "memory or storage" because I guess all the problems or the methods stuck trying to copy the files or something like that..

I stuck with all the methods basically :S

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2013
the RUU is a windows EXE file just click it and follow the instructions
Back up your phone ! a RUU totally wipes everything from the phone

OK I've tried running the RUU from two different computers. One computer was running Windows XP and the other was running Windows 7. Each time I get to the point where the set-up wizard asks me to accept the license agreement. When I click on the "I accept" radial button and then click on next, the set-up wizard just shuts down.

I've tried it three times on the computer running Windows XP. On the third attempt I had the Task Manager running and the process just stops and disappears.

Can anyone offer any help.

I read on another forum that replacing the SIM card can help. So I went to my locate AT&T corporate store and got a new SIM card. No luck with that either.

I purchased this phone used It is in great shape. It looks new. It is running Build Number 3.17.502.3 CL246232 release-keys.

Because I bought a used phone, I just downloaded Connectbot and verified that the phone was not rooted.

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
OK I've tried running the RUU from two different computers. One computer was running Windows XP and the other was running Windows 7. Each time I get to the point where the set-up wizard asks me to accept the license agreement. When I click on the "I accept" radial button and then click on next, the set-up wizard just shuts down.

I've tried it three times on the computer running Windows XP. On the third attempt I had the Task Manager running and the process just stops and disappears.

Can anyone offer any help.

I read on another forum that replacing the SIM card can help. So I went to my locate AT&T corporate store and got a new SIM card. No luck with that either.

I purchased this phone used It is in great shape. It looks new. It is running Build Number 3.17.502.3 CL246232 release-keys.

Because I bought a used phone, I just downloaded Connectbot and verified that the phone was not rooted.

the RUU works fine ..did you md5 check your downloaded file ?

dumitresc

Sep 21, 2007
It's looks like you have HTC sync installed? If so, uninstall it and try the ruu again.

Same problem..

I unninstalled the htc sync and restart the pc.. but same problem

here is the log

(if I disconnect the cellphone there is a message: loading zip info fail , update fail

Attachments

• RUU_140414T183427.txt
    8.5 KB · Views: 14

dumitresc

Sep 21, 2007
The phone is s-on, correct? Is the bootloader locked?

That's correct.

when the error appears.. (fastboot.exe) the screen in black with HTC then if I disconnect the cellphone this is the error.. then I have to plug again and push power button until the phone restart again normally.

thank you so much for your help.

Attachments

• IMAG0103-1.jpg
    IMAG0103-1.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 135

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So you're on 4.4.2 now? Great!

Yes..

Thank you so much .. I really appreciate it!
    SUCCESS!!!!!

cschmitt - thank you for your offer, but I was able to get the OTA update. I'm now running Android 4.4.2 and Sense 5.5.

It wasn't as satsifying as fixing the problem myself, but I ended up calling AT&T Wireless tech support for help.

I have an HTC One 64 GB AT&T Wireless model and an active prepaid GoPhone SIM card. I did a carrier unlock on it using my wife's post-paid account really for no other reason other than I could. My intent is to use this phone as part of my employer's B.Y.O.D. program which requires an unrooted device for security purposes.

Any how, I called AT&T Wireless tech support and after some prodding to get them to accept the fact that I didn't have the latest firmware on my phone, they called HTC's tech support. The HTC tech support rep had me boot my phone into Safe Mode and I was able to download the update without incident after that.

Thank you again and this is a great forum. I hope to learn a lot here and hopefully one day give something back.