[HOW-TO] : Restore Nook Color back to stock EASILY!

Search This thread

nootered

Jan 21, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What these steps will do:

This will remove anything that you currently have on your system, including CWM. It returns your nook back to a stock 1.0.1 unit and ready for registering. I give credit to both of the OP's of the mentioned threads, I just wanted to compile an easy step-by-step guide for those who may be struggling.

I may sound like a tool, but I am actually quite tech-savvy, and by the looks of it, there are several others suffering a bit too. So I thought I would post a very basic and easy to follow step by step:

1. Shut down NC
2. Remove SD card from NC and insert it in your card reader on the computer
3. Download Bootable Clockwork SD image here : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=922870&highlight=cwm
4. Use WinImage to install the image to your SDcard (Download WinImage here: http://www.winimage.com/download.htm)

To install the .img file to your SDCard using WinImage please follow these steps:
1. Download WinImage from the link above, and install it on your machine.
2. Open WinImage
3. Insert your SDCard into the card reader
4. Select "Restore virtual hard disk image" from the "Disk" menu
5. Select your SDCard
6. Select the Image that you downloaded from the above link
7. Add the Zip file to the computer as well
8. Once complete insert the SDCard into your NC
9. Reboot NC​

5. Also download and save the NC 1.0.1 complete from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=914690&highlight=cwm
6. Copy the zip file to your SD card as well
7. Insert SD into the NC
8. Turn on NC

It will now boot into the CWM, and you need to format both the system and data on it before your flash. THIS IS IMPERATIVE!

To perform the formats follow these steps:

1. select "mounts and storage"
2. select "format system"
3. Confirm format
4. select "format data"
5. Confirm format
6. Continue with steps below​

Once you have formatted the system and the data under the "mounts and storage" section of CWM continue with:

9. Select "install zip from SD card"
10. Select "choose zip from SD card"
11. Select the nook 1.0.1 file
11. Confirm install and wait for it to continue

This takes about 5 minutes in total. When completed you will have a 1.0.1 stock nook like you bought it from the store. THIS WILL REMOVE CWM as well!

To move in the CWM program you use your Volume +\- keys and the "n" button to confirm. To go back use the Power button.

I don't mean to steal any thunder from the folks who put the aforementioned links together, I just felt like there wasn't a dummy proof way to get your nook back to stock quickly and easily.

DISCLAIMER : You are following these steps at your own risk, and I am not responsible if your nook color explodes and bricks, or turns into a transformer and kills your family.

Last edited:

nootered

Jan 21, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What is WinImage? Does it accomplish the same thing that "dd" does?

"WinImage is a fully-fledged disk-imaging suite for easy creation, reading and editing of many image formats and file systems"

It allows you to take an .img and apply it to an SD card for example. As far as "dd" yes you can accomplish the same thing. If you are on Windows using WinImage is much more user friendly, though.

You can download it from here: http://www.winimage.com/download.htm

eyecrispy

Jan 5, 2008
"WinImage is a fully-fledged disk-imaging suite for easy creation, reading and editing of many image formats and file systems"

It allows you to take an .img and apply it to an SD card for example. As far as "dd" yes you can accomplish the same thing. If you are on Windows using WinImage is much more user friendly, though.

You can download it from here: http://www.winimage.com/download.htm

Thanks. I wonder if there is a Mac equivalent. We don't run Windows at this house.

kar_

Jan 15, 2011
Dendermonde
I would elaborate a bit more on step 8 through 11. Just pre-emptive for some question that surely will arise by some users.

yeah right

Oct 5, 2010
Orange County Ny
Will this work on Nooks with the new update? Kind of bummed that I didn't get one before they updated the firmware. If it does that would be how to root,by downgrading?

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

nootered

Jan 21, 2011
Ottawa, ON
never used winimage before, several options seem available. could someone add a little detail please & thanks :confused:

2. Open WinImage
5. Select your SDCard
9. Reboot NC

nootered

Jan 21, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Great, glad it worked out for you!

How do I go about getting this stickied? I think it is a good idea, and it would prevent a lot of "I think I bricked my NC" threads from coming up in the future.

MXIIA

Dec 25, 2010
error
I did this, step by step, exactly as you have it described and my Nook is still not booting.
The only difference I had was using a 1.1.0 image. I'm going to try a 1.0.1 image, if that doesn't work... I'm going to be quite angry...

Would you mind telling me what the file system of the SD card should look like?
I'm loading Clockwork fine, and everything appears to be working, it says that it installed the .zip (of 1.1.0) but it still does not boot (with or without the SD card in)

EDIT: I used 1.0.1 and it worked perfectly...

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Last edited:

nootered

Jan 21, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I did this, step by step, exactly as you have it described and my Nook is still not booting.
The only difference I had was using a 1.1.0 image. I'm going to try a 1.0.1 image, if that doesn't work... I'm going to be quite angry...

I'm loading Clockwork fine, and everything appears to be working, it says that it installed the .zip (of 1.1.0) but it still does not boot (with or without the SD card in)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Your welcome. Now, install AutoNooter 2.12.25, and then Flash with Decadence's new 1.1.0 Pre-Rooted and you are set.

Arbelzapf

Oct 29, 2010

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I still seem to be stuck there. I'll try to redownload the 1.0.1 zip and replace it, but I assume it's the same that was already in the nookie emmc image

Nope, it's still dead

Last edited:

eyecrispy

Jan 5, 2008
Ok, I need some help. I am running this on a mac. I dd the CWM image to my SD card and it will boot CWM off the SD just fine. What I can't do is copy the 1.0.1 zip on to the same SD as per your instructions.

What do I do to get that zip on there so I can flash it after going into CWM?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This will remove anything that you currently have on your system, including CWM. It returns your nook back to a stock 1.0.1 unit and ready for registering. I give credit to both of the OP's of the mentioned threads, I just wanted to compile an easy step-by-step guide for those who may be struggling.

I may sound like a tool, but I am actually quite tech-savvy, and by the looks of it, there are several others suffering a bit too. So I thought I would post a very basic and easy to follow step by step:

1. Shut down NC
    2. Remove SD card from NC and insert it in your card reader on the computer
    3. Download Bootable Clockwork SD image here : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=922870&highlight=cwm
    4. Use WinImage to install the image to your SDcard (Download WinImage here: http://www.winimage.com/download.htm)

To install the .img file to your SDCard using WinImage please follow these steps:
    2. Open WinImage
    5. Select your SDCard
    9. Reboot NC​

5. Also download and save the NC 1.0.1 complete from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=914690&highlight=cwm
    6. Copy the zip file to your SD card as well
    7. Insert SD into the NC
    8. Turn on NC

It will now boot into the CWM, and you need to format both the system and data on it before your flash. THIS IS IMPERATIVE!

To perform the formats follow these steps:

3. Confirm format
    4. select "format data"
    5. Confirm format
    6. Continue with steps below​

Once you have formatted the system and the data under the "mounts and storage" section of CWM continue with:

9. Select "install zip from SD card"
    10. Select "choose zip from SD card"
    11. Select the nook 1.0.1 file
    11. Confirm install and wait for it to continue

This takes about 5 minutes in total. When completed you will have a 1.0.1 stock nook like you bought it from the store. THIS WILL REMOVE CWM as well!

To move in the CWM program you use your Volume +\- keys and the "n" button to confirm. To go back use the Power button.

I don't mean to steal any thunder from the folks who put the aforementioned links together, I just felt like there wasn't a dummy proof way to get your nook back to stock quickly and easily.

DISCLAIMER : You are following these steps at your own risk, and I am not responsible if your nook color explodes and bricks, or turns into a transformer and kills your family.
    Hello, anyone please help.

Thanks

Since you already have up-to-date CWM, you can just drop one of these zips:

in the root directory of a non-bootable (normal) SD card, boot into CWM, and install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard.

It wouldn't hurt to go into mounts and storage and format system and data first, then wipe cache after the install.

Obviously, the first file will leave CWM intact, whereas the second will make your NC 100% stock.
    A little more explanation that might help.

First of all - many thanks to nootered. What a life saver you are! I directed my sister to this thread so that she could revert back to stock 1.0.1 and she had a terrible time. I then took nootered's OP and inserted some of my own directions and observations into it to try to help her out. She was able to finally go back to 1.0.1, so I thought maybe I should post my directions to her just in case they might help someone else. It's pretty detailed, and again, this is all nootered's work with a few extra directions from me thrown in.

Default [HOW-TO] : Restore Nook Color back to stock EASILY!

This will remove anything that you currently have on your system, including CWM. It returns your nook back to a stock 1.0.1 unit and ready for
    registering.

I may sound like a tool, but I am actually quite tech-savvy, and by the looks of it, there are several others suffering a bit too. So I thought I would post
    a very basic and easy to follow step by step:

1.Download the nook-complete-restore-1.0.1 from here: (check nootered original post for the link) and save it to your desktop where you will be able to find it easily. DO NOT UNZIP.
    2. Download the Bootable Clockwork SD image here: (get link from OP)
    3. Unzip using BitZipper or something similar and move the image file from the unzipped folder to your desktop where you can find it easily.
    4. If you do not have WinImage installed you can download it from here: (get link from OP)
    5. Install WinImage, if necessary. (FWIW, I couldn not get WinImage to work for me unless I used the Administrator version.)
    6. Shut down NC
    7. Remove SD card from NC and insert it in your card reader on the computer.
    8. I also had to format my SD Card before it would work here - doesn't seem to be a problem for most people.
    9. Open WinImage and in the disk menu, choose "Restore virtual hard disk image on physical drive"
    10. In the same menu tell the program which disk to use. Make sure that you select your SD card!
    11. In the next window you will be asked to select the disk again. Make sure it is your SD card!
    12. Next you will be asked where to locate the image file that you want to restore. In your desktop list, MAKE SURE THAT YOU SET YOUR FILE
    TYPE TO OPEN "ALL FILES" - otherwise you won't be able to find that SD image that you downloaded.

13.When you select that image file WinImage will run it and it will go to your SD card.
    14. Now copy the entire "nook-complete-restore-1.0.1" zipped folder to your SD Card by dragging and dropping.
    12. Once complete insert the SD Card into your NC
    13. Reboot NC

To perform the formats follow these steps: Use the volume buttons on the upper right side of you NC to move up or down. Use the N button to select and confirm, and use the power button to go back.

3. Confirm format - there is only one "yes" in the list so go down to that choice and select
    4. select "format data"
    5. Confirm format
    6. Continue with steps below

7. Select "install zip from SD card"
    8. Select "choose zip from SD card"
    9. Select the nook 1.0.1 file
    10.Confirm install and wait for it to continue

Do not try to do anything else with these menus Do not try to install or apply updates or anything else at this time. When your installation is confirmed. Power OFF and Remove the SD card from the Nook Color. (If you don't, it will keep loading and running you through the same
    menus.)

I don't mean to steal any thunder from the folks who put the aforementioned links together, I just felt like there wasn't a dummy proof way to get your
    nook back to stock quickly and easily.

DISCLAIMER : You are following these steps at your own risk, and I am not responsible if your nook color explodes and bricks, or turns into a
    transformer and kills your family.
    Good stuff. Always good to have easy step-by-step instructions.
    can someone help me out? i have a nook color and i want to revert back to stock. the links at first page do not work, can anyone upload the necessary links i need to flash back to stock? i am on cm11 and cwm v6.0.4.8
    Go to my NC Tips thread linked in my signature and follow item A15. All the links should work there. But note that you may have to use an older version of cwm,.

Sent from my SM-T707V using XDA Premium HD app