• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

andycted

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 20, 2009
Name: Media Volume Settings

Marketplace description:
Have you ever noticed that after opening some application or game, the volume for media playback (from zune for example) is higher or lower ? Or that some games have the volume too high ?

This application allows to fine tune that internal background media volume, separately from the main device volume. It can also be useful when an application or game has background music too loud or too soft.

Please note it DOESN'T work while connected to Zune, which restores volume to 100%. Also note it can't control in-call, device or notifications volume nor can keep the settings after a reboot due to WP7 features/limitations, about which I can't do anything.

Trial is ad-supported

Updated in 1.4:
- customizable presets
- better compatibility through the Dispatcher (should help ?)
- better interface, up/down buttons
__

Please remember that you can't update a trial application in the marketplace at the moment. You have to uninstall and reinstall it.

Notes:
I've noticed many application that can alter background/zune music volume (Bowling xx is one) and also some others that had their internal volume too high, so that even at volume 1/30 it was annoying at night (Krashlander is one). Some of them are now allowing internal volume regulation in later updates. This application solves both problems. I'm also looking into adding live tile (with volume value), not sure about the possibility of it...
Available in English,Italian and German .

before reporting it doesn't work, please note:

- it doesn't allow to make general volume higher
- media volume is used by most application and zune to control background music and sometimes sounds too (so you can fine tune with this)
- there are applications that modify this volume at start. There are many of these that don't set it back when they exits (and that's one of the main uses of the application)
- at boot, you always have 100% media volume
- when connecting to zune or synching wirelessly, it resets media volume to 100%
- while connected to zune, you can't alter volume
- it can't control in-call, notifications, alerts, ringtones, or door bell volume. I'm looking into controlling your dog bark, though

Source: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=10881451

Zune Marketplace Link: http://social.zune.net/External/Lau...oneAppID=0774b6ec-f323-e011-854c-00237de2db9e

Please, anybody voting in the poll above, leave a comment with your phone model (and if it works). Thanks

Attachments

• mediaSettings_screenshot.jpg
    mediaSettings_screenshot.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,816
Last edited:

menger

Sep 27, 2008
Thank you !
That was my problem exactly, I had to restart my phone each time some application modified the volume especially when I wanted to use Zune and the music came out quite low. In fact I thought something was wrong with the speaker...

I’ve actually even used it with a game which had very loud background music.

andycted

Aug 20, 2009
Thanks, I'm going to release a free, ad-supported version in some days.

andycted

Aug 20, 2009
Trial updated to ad-support

The application has been updated with ad-supported, unrestricted use, trial version. Buying removes the ads. Please remember that you can't update a trial version in the marketplace at the time, you have to uninstall and reinstall it.

I've also found out that comparing two omnia7, both coming from germany, that one is quite louder than the other, even on max volume (both media and main device volumes at 100%). I've also checked the device gain in through diagnosis codes and they are the same. However I'd say the quiter one is already loud enough.

Or maybe that's to point on the fact that the louder one has been debranded by flashing a new rom ? (warranty repair, came broken from an extremely rude german internet shop which refused to replace it ! If you are going to buy one in Germany I can pm his name, so you can avoid what I've been through)

Reactions: orb3000

thesecondsfade

Jul 30, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime
You should add all the different volumes settings to it... like system volume, notification volume, etc. Then it could be a one stop place to change volume for all aspects of the device.

andycted

Aug 20, 2009
You should add all the different volumes settings to it... like system volume, notification volume, etc. Then it could be a one stop place to change volume for all aspects of the device.

To the best of my knowledge, the wp7 toolkit doesn't allow you to manipulate device (system) volume. There is also no separate notification volume in windows phones, it uses the same as ringer/device volume.

Feb 3, 2011
www.edgeq.com
link to zune market place

first of all nice application!

can you please tell me how to get the link to the application in marketplace once the application is uploaded. The only way i thought to view the application is search in zune software.

Thanks.

andycted

Aug 20, 2009
Thanks.
I got that problem too. First thing I did was trying to get something out of the assembly, but right in the middle of it I discovered the appropriate command.
I'm on the wrong computer now and can't remember what it is, but I think it's something that sound like OpenMarketPlacePage. If I remember correctly, you don't need to get the id, call the link, etc.

andycted

Aug 20, 2009
Version 1.3 with german localization

I've just pushed the update to 1.3 to the testing process. Besides adding localization for our german friends (who apparently couldn't understand what the application does), there are some interface tweaks.

Most importantly, I've found out that connecting the phone to Zune has the effect of resetting the media volume to 100% and keeping it there while connected.

Regarding managing other volumes, at the moment I can't see a way. I guess there are three volumes at least: device (main), in-call, and media volume.

andycted

Aug 20, 2009
There are some reviews on the market which just say that it won't work. If anyone noticed that it fails to regulate the volume, please indicate which model of phone is tested on and maybe the carrier/nation as well as it's also weird it didn't work for 2 out of 2 australian users...

as of now:
Success on:
2 omnia7
1 dell venue
2 focus
2 hd7
5 unknown

Failed on:
1 surround
2 focus
1 hd7
2 unknown

mcorrie1121

Jul 4, 2007
Oregon
Works on my Focus, although resets on reboot.

I like it, but I wish we could simply set the media volume level straight up (0-30) instead of fractions of the system volume. I'm assuming that's much harder to implement, though.

andycted

Aug 20, 2009
Do you think you could control ring volume separately ?

Unfortunately not at the moment. From the looks of it, the sdk only exposes a few stuff to manage that background music volume, probably in order to manage it in-game easily.
Even if with some complex way one could control other volumes, it wouldn't pass certification because it would probably not use standard calls...

andycted

Aug 20, 2009
Works on my Focus, although resets on reboot.

I like it, but I wish we could simply set the media volume level straight up (0-30) instead of fractions of the system volume. I'm assuming that's much harder to implement, though.

Glad you like it. Well, again, it would probably be nice to manage it that way, but at the moment the way media volume is designed completely forbid this. In fact at the beginning I was looking to implement something like this, but my guess is that this is how the volume settings work. After adapting a bit to it, it actually makes sense too.
At the beginning I was longing for an android-like, 6 channel volume mixer, but now I think they were too many and this is an easier way to manage volume.

The fact that it resets at reboot is another technical limitation/feature. The media volume is a 'soft' settings and I can't control what starts when the phone reboots. It's also a feature because if the volume got incorrectly set by some application (muted for example!) then you possibly wouldn't have a way to reset it.
What makes less sense is that it resets to 100% when connected to zune, which also stops the music. I'm sure there might be some explication behind it, it's just a tiny bit annoying...

andycted

Aug 20, 2009
first of all nice application!

can you please tell me how to get the link to the application in marketplace once the application is uploaded. The only way i thought to view the application is search in zune software.

Thanks.

Forgot to clarify:

in order to open your app marketplace page, you can do this in the code:

MarketPlaceDetailTask task = new MarketPlaceDetailTask();
task.Show();

while otherwise to know the product id or even the link for the application, once published, you can see it in the app hub details page.

andycted

Aug 20, 2009
It doesn't work on my HTC HD7. ever try to play a game with sound on this device no volume at all the sound is so ,so low.

I'm sorry I'm probably misunderstanding you. Do you mean that you are trying to increase the general volume in a game using this application ?

jabtano

Feb 13, 2011
North of Boston MA
Yes the overall volume on this device is bad in order to listen to tunes you have to use a headset otherwise there is no volume.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

jabtano

Feb 13, 2011
North of Boston MA
However this app works great on my wifes focus. HTC HD7 has s volume issue HTC says to download there app that is much like this one it didn't work so I was hoping this one would.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Name: Media Volume Settings

Marketplace description:
    Have you ever noticed that after opening some application or game, the volume for media playback (from zune for example) is higher or lower ? Or that some games have the volume too high ?

This application allows to fine tune that internal background media volume, separately from the main device volume. It can also be useful when an application or game has background music too loud or too soft.

Please note it DOESN'T work while connected to Zune, which restores volume to 100%. Also note it can't control in-call, device or notifications volume nor can keep the settings after a reboot due to WP7 features/limitations, about which I can't do anything.

Trial is ad-supported

Updated in 1.4:
    - customizable presets
    - better compatibility through the Dispatcher (should help ?)
    - better interface, up/down buttons
    __

Please remember that you can't update a trial application in the marketplace at the moment. You have to uninstall and reinstall it.

Notes:
    I've noticed many application that can alter background/zune music volume (Bowling xx is one) and also some others that had their internal volume too high, so that even at volume 1/30 it was annoying at night (Krashlander is one). Some of them are now allowing internal volume regulation in later updates. This application solves both problems. I'm also looking into adding live tile (with volume value), not sure about the possibility of it...
    Available in English,Italian and German .

before reporting it doesn't work, please note:

- it doesn't allow to make general volume higher
    - media volume is used by most application and zune to control background music and sometimes sounds too (so you can fine tune with this)
    - there are applications that modify this volume at start. There are many of these that don't set it back when they exits (and that's one of the main uses of the application)
    - at boot, you always have 100% media volume
    - when connecting to zune or synching wirelessly, it resets media volume to 100%
    - while connected to zune, you can't alter volume
    - it can't control in-call, notifications, alerts, ringtones, or door bell volume. I'm looking into controlling your dog bark, though

Source: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=10881451

Zune Marketplace Link: http://social.zune.net/External/Lau...oneAppID=0774b6ec-f323-e011-854c-00237de2db9e

Please, anybody voting in the poll above, leave a comment with your phone model (and if it works). Thanks
    Trial updated to ad-support

The application has been updated with ad-supported, unrestricted use, trial version. Buying removes the ads. Please remember that you can't update a trial version in the marketplace at the time, you have to uninstall and reinstall it.

I've also found out that comparing two omnia7, both coming from germany, that one is quite louder than the other, even on max volume (both media and main device volumes at 100%). I've also checked the device gain in through diagnosis codes and they are the same. However I'd say the quiter one is already loud enough.

Or maybe that's to point on the fact that the louder one has been debranded by flashing a new rom ? (warranty repair, came broken from an extremely rude german internet shop which refused to replace it ! If you are going to buy one in Germany I can pm his name, so you can avoid what I've been through)