[Q] Rooting without downgrade if you have Jelly Bean

Search This thread

wemsinho

Nov 18, 2010
Hamm
Hi!

I hope some someone can explain me:

Why is it obviously so difficult (or not possible?) to root the XT925 Razr HD without downgrade to ICS if you are already on JellyBean? I read a lot of things and there everytime the poeple wrote about the VoodooKeeper thing and the downgrade.

idless

Jul 5, 2012
Hi!

I hope some someone can explain me:

Why is it obviously so difficult (or not possible?) to root the XT925 Razr HD without downgrade to ICS if you are already on JellyBean? I read a lot of things and there everytime the poeple wrote about the VoodooKeeper thing and the downgrade.

I am also quite interested in this this! In particular, as going back ICS will require that i unlock the bootlock and loose the warranty (at least that is my understanding). I do not wish to sacrafice warranty "just" to get root, something that was very easily done on my old xperia (with or without locked bootlock)

I still love my razr hd (xt925) for lots of other reasons though!

clintonroche

Feb 15, 2008
Tampa
You don't have to unlock or loose warranty to go back to ICS. You do however have to root.

IMO, their is not JB exploit so far because it is so easy to roll back to ICS root.... then use root keeper to hold root thru the update. So no real reason for anyone to work on a root exploit yet. Takes maybe 10-15 minutes if that.

ftgg99

Account currently disabled
Mar 20, 2010
You don't have to unlock or loose warranty to go back to ICS. You do however have to root.

IMO, their is not JB exploit so far because it is so easy to roll back to ICS root.... then use root keeper to hold root thru the update. So no real reason for anyone to work on a root exploit yet. Takes maybe 10-15 minutes if that.

I just got a XT295 from germany just to fix the damned ril issues ive been having in my root call management apps. But it was running 4.1.2 out of the box, with a locked boot.

Am i right in assuming theres a way to root it with that RSDLite tool? I have never owned a moto device, so know nothing about this tool or how it works with a locked bootloader.

CoinCoin88

Sep 15, 2011
Paris
OnePlus 8 Pro

In don't really understand your statement. If you're unrooted on JB, in order to root you definitely have to rollback to ICS... and this requires an unlocked bootloader.
So if you're unrooted, with a locked bootloader, on JB, there is no way you can rollback to ICS if you don't wish to void your warranty by unlocking the bootloader ?? (once you're on ICS, root/voodo/ota upgrade is good to go)

Or maybe I have missed something and there is a way to downgrade to ICS with a locked bootloader ??? If so, i'd be *very* interested...

steiger

Dec 22, 2012
Salvador
There is a way to downgrade with locked bootloader. Use Matt's tool.

Enviado de meu DROID RAZR HD usando o Tapatalk 2

CoinCoin88

Sep 15, 2011
Paris
OnePlus 8 Pro
I've tried already, but it doesn't work. T my understanding (and after reading a bit the thread dedicated to Matt's tool) I'd say you must have an unlocked BL to downgrade...

rickt1152

Dec 6, 2010
I've tried already, but it doesn't work. T my understanding (and after reading a bit the thread dedicated to Matt's tool) I'd say you must have an unlocked BL to downgrade...

It is definitely not necessary on the 926 Consumer Edition as of course it is not currently possible to unlock the BL at this time. It may be different on the 925, but u doubt it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

marcviado

Aug 7, 2010
Las Vegas
Regardless of what you do your gonna void your warranty no matter what,if its a simple root or flash anything your voiding it,and you don't need to have an unlocked bootloader to downgrade back to ics

CoinCoin88

Sep 15, 2011
Paris
OnePlus 8 Pro
It is definitely not necessary on the 926 Consumer Edition as of course it is not currently possible to unlock the BL at this time. It may be different on the 925, but u doubt it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Ok, so p-maybe the problem is not the locked BL... but the fact that probably many people here aren't using the Verizon 925 but the "international" XT-925 model (which is disclamed as "not supported" in Matt's tool's thread).

I'd definitely be willing to give it a try again to downgrade it, but IIRC the last time I tried, option 1 started well then ended up with some errors (can't actually remember what was written). Took like 5 minutes, a bunch of errors here and there on prompt, rebooted the phone, and was still on 4.1.1.

So either this is the "international XT-925 not supported thing", or there's somethign I did wrong (like, extracting a bug report with the key combination or i-don't-now-what-else). Just to be sure we're on the same page, are we all talking about the international XT-925 ? Or is this where we are misunderstanding ??

vuphongkkk

Apr 3, 2011
I'm using xt926 maxx and downgrade many time with no trouble,
Hope my information is helpful ^^

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app

jabeth407

unlocked or rooted?

HELP!
I have gone around with a motorola RAZR M only to be told by motorola that it couldn't be rooted. I have several posts in the general discussions area of the RAZR M. Motorola told me that I HAD to have a developer edition phone to unlock the bootloader. I did that. They told me that with the bootloader unlocked it would be considered rooted. That isn't true. I think I was misled or maybe uninformed. The phone that I got from them is a XT926dev. I voided the warranty, unlocked the bootloader and nothing has really changed. All the root dependent apps say it isn't rooted.
What am I not doing that completes the root? I have root checker and it's sole requirement for root appears to be whether or not superuser and su.binary are installed in the root sectors. Can anybody lead me into the light? I'm scared of the dark.
JAB©

esok44

Feb 1, 2011
HELP!
I have gone around with a motorola RAZR M only to be told by motorola that it couldn't be rooted. I have several posts in the general discussions area of the RAZR M. Motorola told me that I HAD to have a developer edition phone to unlock the bootloader. I did that. They told me that with the bootloader unlocked it would be considered rooted. That isn't true. I think I was misled or maybe uninformed. The phone that I got from them is a XT926dev. I voided the warranty, unlocked the bootloader and nothing has really changed. All the root dependent apps say it isn't rooted.
What am I not doing that completes the root? I have root checker and it's sole requirement for root appears to be whether or not superuser and su.binary are installed in the root sectors. Can anybody lead me into the light? I'm scared of the dark.
JAB©

You maybe have unlocked the Bootloader, but that does not necessary means, you are rooted.

First think on which Firmware is you XT926, is it on 4.0.4 or is it on 4.1.2

If you are on 4.0.4, read this Thread.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1943851

If you are on 4.1.2 and your bootloader really is unlocked, read this:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2118483

If you are on 4.1.2 and your phone is VERIZON xt926 and your bootloader is locked:
Try Matts Tool to downgrade. Then do the first step i mentioned

Next time please inform yourself about the things you want to do. This should be the first thing. If you dont know the difference between an unlocked bootloader and root access, you should propably not try to mess with these kind of things.

Maybe Motorola Service Workers aren't the right people to ask about stuff like that...

But well hope i helped you out of the dark, greetz Esok

Reactions: sb8636

saloums7

Jul 19, 2012
Montreal
If you have the XT925 RAZR HD and don't want to downgrade, for now you have to unlock your BL, flash CWM and flash SuperSU through CWM (you can find the flashable zip on the chainfire.eu). Or you could wait for an exploit to come.

Sent from my XT925

Last edited:

jabeth407

You maybe have unlocked the Bootloader, but that does not necessary means, you are rooted.

If you are on 4.1.2 and your phone is VERIZON xt926 and your bootloader is locked:

Next time please inform yourself about the things you want to do. This should be the first thing. If you dont know the difference between an unlocked bootloader and root access, you should propably not try to mess with these kind of things.

Maybe Motorola Service Workers aren't the right people to ask about stuff like that...

Thanks for the links, I'll try it. I tried to get information about what I'm doing from the manufacturer. You can see where that has gotten me. I have tried others too. It is a simple thing to share & part with knowledge. I still haven't gotten anybody to set me straight on any differences between unlocked boot & root. So, this is my attempt at informing myself.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

Mine is 4.1.1, as usual I have fallen between the cracks!

esok44

Feb 1, 2011
Thanks for the links, I'll try it. I tried to get information about what I'm doing from the manufacturer. You can see where that has gotten me. I have tried others too. It is a simple thing to share & part with knowledge. I still haven't gotten anybody to set me straight on any differences between unlocked boot & root. So, this is my attempt at informing myself.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

Mine is 4.1.1, as usual I have fallen between the cracks!

Well, then try the method, using matts tool to downgrade and then using the normal 4.0.4 method to root ;)

Should be the easiest method ;)

before downgrading, make sure that you save all relevant things, like pictures, etc on your external sd-card, they will get lost with the downgrade, i think ;)

Good luck Esok

jabeth407

Hey man, I'm not totally useless. I know the bootloader is unlocked. I did manage to get that far. Give me a break, I'm used to my tandy 1000, cassette tape deck, b&w tv. Nice simple basic languages. Ha, ha, ha.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HELP!
    JAB©