[Q] Backup Original Rom

Search This thread

ldiamond2

Jun 1, 2011
Hi all,

I'm looking to make a full backup of my phone, including rom kernel radio etc. I want to install new roms on it, mainly Cyanogenmod, but I want to be able to revert back to the way it is right now. I'm aware that there are stock rom available for download but I'd rather backup mine so I know it's exactly the correct one (maybe different branding, version, etc).

I found a post by HellcatAndroid stating that this would backup everything:
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/sdcard/p1-EFS.img bs=4096
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 of=/sdcard/p4-PARAM.img bs=4096
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 of=/sdcard/p5-KERNEL bs=4096
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 of=/sdcard/p8-MODEM.bin bs=4096
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p9 of=/sdcard/p9-FACTORYFS.rfs bs=4096
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p12 of=/sdcard/p12-HIDDEN.img bs=4096

I'm curious about a few things... given that these partitions are already mounted, some as read-write, it seems dangerous to obtain a corrupted image. Obviously, I've already manually rooted my phone. That part I can easily undo manually later on too.

Also, once you have this, is odin the only solution to flash back the image?

Is there a decent guide on how to backup your entire phone before flashing anything on it?

By the way, CWM isn't an option given that flashing it would overwrite something I'd like to backup.

anthony_h

Feb 23, 2011
install cwm ...

boot into cwm recovery
Backup/restore

full Nandroid backup....

U can later restore from cwm.
Everything is backed up. ( kernel .. radio.. settings .. )
As if nothing happened.

ldiamond2

Jun 1, 2011
But if I understand correctly, installing CWM overwrites something. I won't be able to recover that part...

ldiamond2

Jun 1, 2011
Like I said in the original post, I have manually rooted my phone. I have full root access from adb shell and I've compiled the SU binary by chainsdd. If I flash the cf-root kernel, I overwrite the original kernel which I don't want to do.

I can install CWM by itself, I just want to backup my recovery partition first. Unless the recovery partition is rebuilt automatically when flashing the stock kernel back?

anthony_h

Feb 23, 2011
after restore using CWM.....

Flash official firmware ( LPQ 4.0.3 ) .....

Everything will stay the same. except ull have a fresh official kernel. and keep ur data, setting etc.....

im not sure u can get into cwm without an unsecure kernel flashed via odin....