htc EVO 3D display / digitizer failure.

Search This thread

Vanilla Bear

Oct 23, 2011
Hi guys. Same problem here. "Ghost" touches all around the display of my EVO 3D GSM.
It occurred to me the first time with Virtuous Shooter rom but it did'nt bother me at all as after a on/off of the touch it returned to work properly.
Lately the issue has became annoying, avoiding me to text, scroll pages, select items and so on.
I tried several roms: Virtuous Shooter -> Cool ICS -> KingCobra -> mwakious, but ghost touches were still there.
Last rom-change seemed to be the key, though. I flashed TeamGenesisROM v7.0 with Sense 4.1 and the issue - apparently - disappeared.
It seems strange to me, but is it possible that Sense 3.6 was the problem? I mean, all the roms I tried before TeamGenesis come with Sense 3.6.. so just do the math, am I wrong?
Waiting for your replies/opinions.

jean15paul

Aug 29, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Hi guys. Same problem here. "Ghost" touches all around the display of my EVO 3D GSM.
It occurred to me the first time with Virtuous Shooter rom but it did'nt bother me at all as after a on/off of the touch it returned to work properly.
Lately the issue has became annoying, avoiding me to text, scroll pages, select items and so on.
I tried several roms: Virtuous Shooter -> Cool ICS -> KingCobra -> mwakious, but ghost touches were still there.
Last rom-change seemed to be the key, though. I flashed TeamGenesisROM v7.0 with Sense 4.1 and the issue - apparently - disappeared.
It seems strange to me, but is it possible that Sense 3.6 was the problem? I mean, all the roms I tried before TeamGenesis come with Sense 3.6.. so just do the math, am I wrong?
Waiting for your replies/opinions.

I can't speak to your issue, but mine was definitely a hardware problem. I know this because the problem would change base on variations in touch pressure. A software problem wouldn't do that. I read somewhere that the glue between the screen and digitizer was problematic on the Evo3D but I don't know that for sure.

Good luck. I hope your issue really is fixed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Vanilla Bear

Oct 23, 2011
I can't speak to your issue, but mine was definitely a hardware problem. I know this because the problem would change base on variations in touch pressure. A software problem wouldn't do that. I read somewhere that the glue between the screen and digitizer was problematic on the Evo3D but I don't know that for sure.

Good luck. I hope your issue really is fixed.

Well, after more than 12 hours the issue hasn't shown up, yet. If it comes back, I will take it to the HTC service for sure.
Still I can't explain why it disappeared with this rom, it seems really strange to me.
Does the touch failures on your EVO 3D occurred on the bottom of the screen? In my case the touch went crazy after typing letters on the bottom of the keyboard or slide pages on the bottom of the screen.

jean15paul

Aug 29, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Well, after more than 12 hours the issue hasn't shown up, yet. If it comes back, I will take it to the HTC service for sure.
Still I can't explain why it disappeared with this rom, it seems really strange to me.
Does the touch failures on your EVO 3D occurred on the bottom of the screen? In my case the touch went crazy after typing letters on the bottom of the keyboard or slide pages on the bottom of the screen.

In my case it was at the top left right under the "HTC".

Vanilla Bear

Oct 23, 2011
In my case it was at the top left right under the "HTC".

My last hopes disappeared as the issue got back again this morning.
I think it's time to get my EVO 3D to the HTC service. Having unlocked the bootloader with the HTCdev way, how can I revert the phone back to stock conditions?

FirePheonex

Apr 13, 2012
Nairobi
Wow i had a very painful experience with what i though was a bad digitizer,i had tried flashing many different ROMS,
until i decided to completely wipe my phone and install a ROM,that fixed the phantom touches :D

theboz1419

Mar 6, 2011
Puyallup, WA
Wow i had a very painful experience with what i though was a bad digitizer,i had tried flashing many different ROMS,
until i decided to completely wipe my phone and install a ROM,that fixed the phantom touches :D

It will come back

Im on my 3rd EVO 3D all for bad digitizers and just last week my replacement phone started to get phatom touches and the left edge sometimes does not work.

What sucks is that my 2 year contract is up in Dec. so I was hoping this phone would last until then, I guess not. Even the Sprint store even said that the HTC phones have been getting worse in quality. They had a bin full of HTC phones, that been returned to them the in past month and only one phone from Samsung.

Vanilla Bear

Oct 23, 2011
Just brought my EVO 3D to the HTC service because the issue became very annoying. It will take 20 days to have it back though. Hope the new digitizer won't fail like the first one did.

Last edited:

jean15paul

Aug 29, 2011
New Orleans, LA
It will come back

Im on my 3rd EVO 3D all for bad digitizers and just last week my replacement phone started to get phatom touches and the left edge sometimes does not work.

What sucks is that my 2 year contract is up in Dec. so I was hoping this phone would last until then, I guess not. Even the Sprint store even said that the HTC phones have been getting worse in quality. They had a bin full of HTC phones, that been returned to them the in past month and only one phone from Samsung.

I think Sprint's policy is that after 3 replacements you can get a new phone off the shelf. You might want to ask about that.

p3tr0s

I think Sprint's policy is that after 3 replacements you can get a new phone off the shelf. You might want to ask about that.

good luck with that policy.... they're now sending my 5th refurb. when i talked to them about the new phone policy they offered me an evo 4g, shift, epic (original), or conquer. i am not too happy....

i totally forgot about the galaxy nexus but when i asked them about the sgs 2 they said that it wasn't on their list. i asked her how the phones on their list are similarly specd to an evo 3d and she tried to tell me they all have ICS...

Last edited:

jdawglx01

Jun 29, 2010
good luck with that policy.... they're now sending my 5th refurb. when i talked to them about the new phone policy they offered me an evo 4g, shift, epic (original), or conquer. i am not too happy....

i totally forgot about the galaxy nexus but when i asked them about the sgs 2 they said that it wasn't on their list. i asked her how the phones on their list are similarly specd to an evo 3d and she tried to tell me they all have ICS...

LOL right... And my Pentium 4 work computer is running Windows 7 totally the same ;) LMAO

jean15paul

Aug 29, 2011
New Orleans, LA

You should go back with a list of specs. I think everything they offered is only single core. That's probably enough right there to let them know that you know what you're talking about and that they are full of $#!T.

After my third replacement the manager offered me a GS2. I told him I didn't like TouchWiz and he immediately understood. (Fortunately he was an android guy.) He told me that he couldn't offer an Evo LTE, so I ask about a GNEX. He didn't even hesitate.

p3tr0s

You should go back with a list of specs. I think everything they offered is only single core. That's probably enough right there to let them know that you know what you're talking about and that they are full of $#!T.

After my third replacement the manager offered me a GS2. I told him I didn't like TouchWiz and he immediately understood. (Fortunately he was an android guy.) He told me that he couldn't offer an Evo LTE, so I ask about a GNEX. He didn't even hesitate.

i actually tried that.... even citing that the evo 4g is the first evo and the only one of the bunch that has the same size screen. every phone listed is single core and half the ram. not to mention that i'm pretty sure not a single one on the list runs 4.0 (like i care with sites like xda). she still argued that they were comparable phones and that was all they could offer. as info, i just got the latest and the cover won't seat on the top left corner, the glass is raised up like a mofo, the camera button feels like it's gonna fall out, and i can't feel the power button clicking. i know it's not a new phone but my biggest concern is the movement on the screen when i press down. if it breaks because they don't know how to put a phone together it suddenly becomes my fault. anyways.... i did the whole email dan@sprint.com thing and they are trying to get a hold of me i guess. i'll post back with what i find out.

on a side note, hows the battery life on that nexus? i have a friend that has the verizon one and it completely sucks balls compared to my 3d's battery. i would love to have one.... but not when the battery drops like ten percent an hour while its sleeping (his nexus is seriously that bad)

jean15paul

Aug 29, 2011
New Orleans, LA
i actually tried that.... even citing that the evo 4g is the first evo and the only one of the bunch that has the same size screen. every phone listed is single core and half the ram. not to mention that i'm pretty sure not a single one on the list runs 4.0 (like i care with sites like xda). she still argued that they were comparable phones and that was all they could offer. as info, i just got the latest and the cover won't seat on the top left corner, the glass is raised up like a mofo, the camera button feels like it's gonna fall out, and i can't feel the power button clicking. i know it's not a new phone but my biggest concern is the movement on the screen when i press down. if it breaks because they don't know how to put a phone together it suddenly becomes my fault. anyways.... i did the whole email dan@sprint.com thing and they are trying to get a hold of me i guess. i'll post back with what i find out.

on a side note, hows the battery life on that nexus? i have a friend that has the verizon one and it completely sucks balls compared to my 3d's battery. i would love to have one.... but not when the battery drops like ten percent an hour while its sleeping (his nexus is seriously that bad)

Battery life is decent, similar to my experience with the Evo 3D. I have the 2100 mAh battery. I keep background data and auto sync on, but I keep my brightness really low. I usually get about 3.5 - 4 hours of screen on time. That doesn't last me a whole day because I'm a pretty heavy user, but I keep chargers at work and in the car.

I'm curious how big of a hit the LTE will be when it gets turned on her in New Orleans. I'm guessing his battery life is bad because he keeps LTE on.

m4xwellmurd3r

Feb 4, 2011
:sigh: my girlfriends evo 3d's digitizer is starting to go wonky, the problem is the left side of the bezel has completely gotten itself unglued (phone hasn't been dropped, but shows signs of wearing from being in her purse. I haven't asked sprint if they'll replace it or repair it, so I think I might just bite the bullet, spend 90 bucks, and replace the whole front housing assembly (lcd, digitizer and all that) Durapower Global sells them and from the looks of it it's a pretty simple task.

p3tr0s

Battery life is decent, similar to my experience with the Evo 3D. I have the 2100 mAh battery. I keep background data and auto sync on, but I keep my brightness really low. I usually get about 3.5 - 4 hours of screen on time. That doesn't last me a whole day because I'm a pretty heavy user, but I keep chargers at work and in the car.

I'm curious how big of a hit the LTE will be when it gets turned on her in New Orleans. I'm guessing his battery life is bad because he keeps LTE on.

I'm curious about it too.... When I lived in a 4g area I left it on all the time and noticed a minimal hit in battery life.

Anyways... Sprint is now sending me my 6th refurbed 3d. I refuse to accept the phones they're offering because I refuse to downgrade just because sprint can't send out a properly refurbished device. Anyways... No luck on a decent swap from sprint yet.

Sent from my PG86100

Vanilla Bear

Oct 23, 2011
My EVO 3D got back from the service a few days ago. As far as I can see they changed not only the digitizer but also the display and the front cover (the orginal had some scratches, so good for me). Of course the phantom touches issue has been solved. Hope it won't come back.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda app-developers app

My EVO 3D got back from the service a few days ago. As far as I can see they changed not only the digitizer but also the display and the front cover (the original had some scratches, so good for me). Of course the phantom touches issue has been solved. Hope it won't come back.

Hi guys and gals,
I'm here to revive this old thread since I see that a lot of people still have the ghost-touch problem.

To answer Vanilla Bear (admittedly a bit late), they change the whole front together because there is adhesive making it a bit difficult to separate the three parts (LCD, digitizer and front cover). If you want, you can search for "Evo3D screen assembly" on ebay to find all three parts pre-assembled.

If you want the cheaper way like I just did then, with a lot of patience and a blow dryer, you can separate and change only the digitizer.

My ghost touches had gone so bad that I even got them in recovery mode! So, this confirms once more that this problem is hardware related and has nothing to do with specific ROMs. Yes, reducing the temperature of the LCD by simply lowering the CPU frequency helped for a while, but then the problem got worse over time, so I got ghost touches even at 600MHz. One thing is for sure. If this problem starts, you'll have to replace your digitizer eventually.

These are the first hours after I successfully replaced the digitizer, together with a new white-aluminum housing and I must say the result is excellent. No ghost touches at all, even after overclocking, plus I probably have the only white Evo 3D in Athens! The whole procedure took me two hours and I had never opened a phone apart before.

Now it remains to be seen if the new digitizer will also malfunction sometime in the future. If so, I will post it here.

Good luck to all of you.

Sent from the 3rd dimension!

Last edited:
Reactions: Snoob25

vijaykvardhan

Oct 25, 2014
diff b/w sprint evo3d and evo3d x515m????

hey ppl, can some one let me know if there is any diff in digitizer of sprint evo3d and evo 3dx515m as i read in one of ebay link as only for sprint evo3d, i need a replacement digitizer for my evo3d x515m.......so please let me know about it, thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, I have had the 3D since launch. After the first couple of days I started seeing phantom touches. After 1 week I started to notice this was getting far worse and that the display/digitizer was registering touches when nothing was near the device.

Called Sprint walked through a full wipe of the OS and reinstall. That was a no go and wasted nearly 2 hours of my time on the phone... However the Level 2 tech agreed that it appeared to be a failure of the device and advised that I return it to the Sprint store.

Got to sprint and showed them the video I had made of what the phone was doing. They also agreed that something was wrong with the phone and replaced it immediately.

Just in case I am not the only one that is having this problem I am uploading the video to youtube... I will share that link with you as soon as it is done uploading.

This is a video showing the issue using the "draw" application:

If you run into similar issues let me know!
    never discount the existence of a true phantom pressing those screens ;p
    Mine just started doin the same thing lately, any of you have results yet? Did you turn in your phone or did they repair it? I really dont wanna go to the sprint store and turn mine in because i dont want a refurbished unit. 9/10 in the past when ive went through insurance, the phone they send me is broken as well and then it goes round and round. Sometimes my phone will just stop responding to touch, it will have phantom touches and/or on the htc_ime mod keyboard on compact qwerty; the ui, jk, m, . column up and down wont work at all. strange to say the least, never had this happen to any of my phones before.
    I'm having phantom touches and also screen has been freezing and I have to turn off screen and wait a few seconds to get it to work again, anyone had that problem as well.
    And it makes typing a *****
    My EVO 3D got back from the service a few days ago. As far as I can see they changed not only the digitizer but also the display and the front cover (the original had some scratches, so good for me). Of course the phantom touches issue has been solved. Hope it won't come back.

Hi guys and gals,
    I'm here to revive this old thread since I see that a lot of people still have the ghost-touch problem.

To answer Vanilla Bear (admittedly a bit late), they change the whole front together because there is adhesive making it a bit difficult to separate the three parts (LCD, digitizer and front cover). If you want, you can search for "Evo3D screen assembly" on ebay to find all three parts pre-assembled.

If you want the cheaper way like I just did then, with a lot of patience and a blow dryer, you can separate and change only the digitizer.

My ghost touches had gone so bad that I even got them in recovery mode! So, this confirms once more that this problem is hardware related and has nothing to do with specific ROMs. Yes, reducing the temperature of the LCD by simply lowering the CPU frequency helped for a while, but then the problem got worse over time, so I got ghost touches even at 600MHz. One thing is for sure. If this problem starts, you'll have to replace your digitizer eventually.

These are the first hours after I successfully replaced the digitizer, together with a new white-aluminum housing and I must say the result is excellent. No ghost touches at all, even after overclocking, plus I probably have the only white Evo 3D in Athens! The whole procedure took me two hours and I had never opened a phone apart before.

Now it remains to be seen if the new digitizer will also malfunction sometime in the future. If so, I will post it here.

Good luck to all of you.

Sent from the 3rd dimension!