Difference between ART and dalvik runtime on KitKat rom

Search This thread

Shashank.sonth

Oct 7, 2012
what difference will it make if I change the runtime from dalvik to ART in developer settings in KitKat 4.4.2 ROM? Will it make my phone faster?!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Shashank.sonth

Oct 7, 2012
While changing the runtime to ART it gives this warning, should I continue? what r the risks?

Attachments

• 1391238326301.jpg
    1391238326301.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 300

Shashank.sonth

Oct 7, 2012
I think I'll leave it as it is for now, don't want to risk bricking my device ?

_Raziel666

Jun 15, 2011
Athens
The risk is that you may brick your ROM and need to do a Nan droid restore to get it back.

Stop giving false information!!! There's no case where using ART has bricked one's ROM (if that's even possible!).

There's no risk bricking your device by enabling ART. Sure some apps might not work properly, but the majority will work ok. You can always try ART, see what you think and if you don't like the results, you can revert back to Dalvik. Keep in mind that if you have Xposed framework installed and you try to change your runtime to ART, you might end up with a bootloop. So make sure you have a backup, just in case.

But, I repeat, it isn't possible to brick your device by changing to ART.

Skripka

Dec 17, 2011
Postulo forklift ad portandum iste
Stop giving false information!!! There's no case where using ART has bricked one's ROM (if that's even possible!).

Lordy. Are you kidding me?

Of course it is possible...AAMOF, for most KitKat ROMs on the Sprint SPH-L900 enabling ART WILL render your ROM unbootable and the only "fix" (that I know of) is a Nandroid restore. AFAIK the only ROM for L900 with working ART that I know of is OmniROM, although I will admit I haven't tried straight CyanogenMod in forever. "Working" meaning enabling ART doesn't break your ROM. Because what will happen otherwise is after enabling ART and immediately rebooting, your ROM install will permanently bootloop, and the only way of getting it back is Nandroid recovery.

Don't believe me? Download or read the XDA forums for Dirty Unicorns 5.0 or SlimKat (no offense intended at Maz or sleshy who do mad work on those ROMs and who are more than aware of this issue). Then you'll see exactly what I'm talking about and that it is you who are "spreading false information". Further even within the same ROM, enabling ART can break the ROM for some devices but not others. If you read or follow Google+ dev communities for OmniROM and others you'd know this.

"False information" indeed.

Last edited:

_Raziel666

Jun 15, 2011
Athens
Lordy. Are you kidding me?

Of course it is possible...AAMOF, for most KitKat ROMs on the Sprint SPH-L900 enabling ART WILL render your ROM unbootable and the only "fix" (that I know of) is a Nandroid restore. AFAIK the only ROM for L900 with working ART that I know of is OmniROM, although I will admit I haven't tried straight CyanogenMod in forever. "Working" meaning enabling ART doesn't break your ROM. Because what will happen otherwise is after enabling ART and immediately rebooting, your ROM install will permanently bootloop, and the only way of getting it back is Nandroid recovery.

Don't believe me? Download or read the XDA forums for Dirty Unicorns 5.0 or SlimKat (no offense intended at Maz or sleshy who do mad work on those ROMs and who are more than aware of this issue). Then you'll see exactly what I'm talking about and that it is you who are "spreading false information". Further even within the same ROM, enabling ART can break the ROM for some devices but not others. If you read or follow Google+ dev communities for OmniROM and others you'd know this.

"False information" indeed.

bootloop brick

Two very different situations. You used the word brick, which does nothing but panick whoever reads it, because it insinuates bad things. On the other hand, a bootloop is a much more manageable situation.

Shashank.sonth

Oct 7, 2012
Could anyone tell me, if the device is bricked or struck on bootloop will I still be able to go to recovery mode?

Shashank.sonth

Oct 7, 2012

There's no risk bricking your device by enabling ART. Sure some apps might not work properly, but the majority will work ok. You can always try ART, see what you think and if you don't like the results, you can revert back to Dalvik. Keep in mind that if you have Xposed framework installed and you try to change your runtime to ART, you might end up with a bootloop. So make sure you have a backup, just in case.

what is xposed framework? how do I know if I've installed it?!

_Raziel666

Jun 15, 2011
Athens
Could anyone tell me, if the device is bricked or struck on bootloop will I still be able to go to recovery mode?

If your device is on a bootloop, you will be able to go to recovery mode. In case of a brick, in most cases you won't be able to turn the phone, let alone booting to recovery mode. But enabling ART has nothing to do with bricking the phone.

This is Xposed Framework: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1574401

You'll know if you've installed it, by checking if there's an app called Xposed Installer.

Reactions: Shashank.sonth

bleggy

Jan 2, 2013
I'm running art out of curiosity. everything is working fine, no problems at all. but honestly, I cant tell any difference between art & dalvik in terms of speed/battery life/whatever. the only noticeable difference is the longer boot time with art. I do not keep track of ram usage or do any speed tests or details like that. Maybe there's a difference on that level, but it's not perceptible as a user, imho.

so, at this time, is it worth switching over? eh, not really. doesnt matter much.

Last edited:

Shashank.sonth

Oct 7, 2012
Yeah even I switched to ART but didn't notice any changes except that all the apps take much space than dalvik n I also noticed my battery was draining sooner so switched back to dalvik, it's better for now until the ART is fully developed on our device

honda kos

Jun 29, 2010
For me, art don't think that makes so much difference. It's experimental and we have to wait for next major android release.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

tim-13

Sep 1, 2013
How do i know if I'm really using art? I've checked it and let it boot. Now when I go in the settings it says "using dalvik".

Sent from my Xperia T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1391972687334.jpg
    1391972687334.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 107

FyendFyre

Oct 31, 2013
plus.google.com
Xposed automatically kicks you out of art runtime whenever you try to get into it. so your options are:
1.keep xposed active and forget about art until the developer works on compatibility (which should be soon)
2.or deactivate (or uninstall) xposed and use art runtime.
You should weigh the pros and cons and see which is best. btw no bricks will happen if you choose to use art.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The risk is that you may brick your ROM and need to do a Nan droid restore to get it back.

http://source.android.com/devices/tech/dalvik/art.html

The risks are it's experimental technology that you're given a preview of because you enabled developer settings. Also, some apps may not work. And please don't file bug reports on the ROM or apps because you're using experimental settings. Honestly, I'd leave it on dalvik if you don't know what you're doing.

If your device is on a bootloop, you will be able to go to recovery mode. In case of a brick, in most cases you won't be able to turn the phone, let alone booting to recovery mode. But enabling ART has nothing to do with bricking the phone.

This is Xposed Framework: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1574401

You'll know if you've installed it, by checking if there's an app called Xposed Installer.