[Q] Need help, my phone died, HTC wants to rip me off

Search This thread

RuffBuster

Feb 3, 2012
So I got my phone back, I've payed for reapairs. 2 days later my volume down button stops to work, phone boots only in safe mode, nothing helps. I unlocked bootloader and rooted, but haven't switched to rom, using original one. I really don't know what to do now. I hate HTC so much, I'm gonna throw up. Any ideas?

That's seriously bad luck! The fact this has happened so soon after being repaired should give you some rights. I haven't tried the modded hboot but I personally would give it a go, as they may over look your unlocked bootloader being so soon after your last repair. Looks like someone has had success using the modded hboot. Maybe try PM/post them for help on this. Make sure to read everything on this, so not to cause further issues. I'm still waiting on my phone to be returned after having the mainboard replaced, but was told that this would return the phone to warranty conditions. So technically the phone should have been in working condition when returned, even after 2 days?! It may have been down to poor repair work. Read a couple of posts on here of people who have complained of gaps in the phone after a repair. Just remember that they will power on your phone to test and replicate the fault, so remove super user and any root related software.

I was worried about unlocking my bootloader again after I get it back from repair, and after reading this I won't be doing so until my warranty is over. I just can't trust the quality of this phone, and refuse to be made to pay for obvious defects in the build while I am stuck with the phone for another 18 months. I may even sell my One mini and get another phone,

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

J0ro

Feb 28, 2012
Yeah, tell me more about my bad luck :) Anyways they've returned my phone with completely preinstalled software. This time, because I was scared I didn't install CM11 or other roms, just rooted and s-off the device, so I could remove some unwanted software. I will flash that hboot tomorrow and will remove SuperSU. My only question is who should I seek this time, after I've payed for the motherboard replacement and they told me I'm loosing my warranty. I don't want to wait one month just for a reply if I go to my carrier. I've tried this http://www.htc.com/www/contact/email/ but no one ever contacted me there. I live in Bulgaria by the way.

RuffBuster

Feb 3, 2012
I was told that replacing the mainboard undoes the bootloader and as such now does not void the conditions of the warranty. Burgaria in the EU? Wasn't there something posted earlier about how your warranty can't be voided because of software changes? I asked to speak to a manager/supervisor at HTC, as they can do more.

RuffBuster

Feb 3, 2012
Thought i'd keep my situation with my HTC One mini updated just as a reference to others.

So I finally got my phone back the day before yesterday... They have fixed my broken power port, BUT when I inspected phone I noticed alot of damage which wasn't there when I sent the phone in for repair.

The power port now accepts data transfer, but it's still very loose, which it wasn't when first purchased. I have a chip on the top right of my screen. The whole screen isn't flush with the rest of my phone. There are chips and scuffs to the bottom of my phone bezel and back of the phone. But worst of all the bezel around my volume buttons has been cracked leaving 1mm gap between the bezel and the screen!

This is some poor repair work to say it was repaired by HTC themselves not a third party. It has made my phone look like crap. I have contacted HTC again and am now sending it in for a 3rd time to have the damage THEY have caused repaired. Fingers crossed....

Also they have replaced the mainboard to fix my power port and tried to charge me £130 while all that needed to be replaced was the power port itself which i've seen on ebay for £8 ?! WTF HTC ?!

Last edited:

RuffBuster

Feb 3, 2012
Also my girlfriends mum and dad's phones which are both HTC but cheaper models have stopped working or developed faults. I'm sooo disappointed by HTC...

RuffBuster

Feb 3, 2012
My troubles are finally over.. After a lengthy wait I finally got "a" phone back last week. But instead of getting my old phone back HTC have given me a brand new factory unlocked 32gb HTC one M7! But for me this is to little to late. I'm going to be selling this phone and go back to my old Samsung Galaxy S until I've decided what phone I want next, and this time it won't be a HTC device..

It was fun while it lasted, but this is farewell from me to all you HTC users. Best of luck to you..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I contacted HTC to find out why my warranty doesn't cover a faulty charger port, and they have told me because I have unlocked my bootloader my warranty won't cover a faulty charger port... I know it states this on the HTCDev site before you unlock your bootloader, but the bootloader is software while the fault on my phone is clearly hardware, and proving the phone is of poor quality build, which is something that would of occurred whether I was rooted or not. This is just an excuse to get out of repairing my poorly built HTC One mini, and proves without a doubt that HTC don't care about its consumers or the quality of the product they are selling.

I may be on a contract but I still end up paying around £400 over time to own this phone. For a device that costs this much the build quality and service should be satisfactory..

I had a heated conversation with HTC trying to explain that the fact I had unlocked my bootloader had nothing to do with the fault on my phone, but they just kept arguing that because I had unlocked the bootloader I was liable for the cost of all repairs no matter what was wrong with my £400 phone! This is just an excuse to get out of the fact that they have sold me a faulty product, and pure dis-concern for its consumers. They seem very happy to put out a poorly built device to the public and take our money.

Well I haven't given up, I won't accept that I should take responsibility for something that would of happened whether or not I had unlocked my bootloader, for which HTC shouldn't be able to take the right away for me to install custom software, as the device is my property, and as such should be able to do so.

After the heated phone call to HTC they have now got me waiting for a callback from the "HTC Escalation Team". And while I wait for that I have been in contact with "Trading Standards/Citizens Advice" here in the UK. They have told me that the responsibility lies with the seller of the phone in my case "MobilePhonesDirect.com" under the "Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982". So I contacted them and they also have denied that this is their responsibility, so I argued that they have to supply a product that meets the specification and description of what they advertise which it clearly doesn't, and as such they need to under the law "Repair, Replace like for like or Refund". I have now been passed onto their "Escalation Team", and am awaiting their response........

If I don't get anywhere with HTC or the seller, I'll be contacting "Trading Standards" once again. but in the mean time HTC have my £400 phone, which I have already been without for 2 weeks. This is all very sad and think I'll be moving back to Samsung in the near future....

Also EU laws that protect users who unlock their bootloader or root their phone, do not apply in the United Kingdom, as their laws overrule these EU rules, even though we're in the EU..... So a nice little loop hole for an uncaring company like HTC.....
    Small update. Called HTC again today after not receiving my callback. They had no record of a callback ...lies. Then they went on to tell me now that Im not covered under warranty because I have forced my usb port... Which I didn't. I argued how they could say that had done the damage myself and they could't answer. Instead they started quoting how I'm not covered because I unlocked the bootloader... Excuses excuses.

My phone seller has been back in touch telling me they can not find anything in their copy of the warranty to cancel my warranty based on software changes...
    They asked me to get a copy of the repair report from HTC, but when I asked for this from HTC they refused to send the report until I paid for my phone to be returned or repaired ...I HAVE THE RIGHT TO HAVE ACCESS TO THESE DOCUMENTS!

When I argued my right to these documents I was told to I could take them to court! WTF !?

I asked for another callback to be arranged and a copy of their warranty that says why I won't be covered. He sent me a copy over email. BUT it doesn't say anything about not being covered for unlocking my bootloader. I then checked out htcdev.com again as directed by the man at HTC and again it doesn't say anything about voiding my entire warranty only that they won't cover things like your phone overheating from changing software, which has nothing to do with the charger port......

They want me to take them to court, so be it!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

I just gave up. I've payed the money, because I can't stand staying without a smartphone anymore. Anyways, I'm never ever buying HTC or recommending it to anybody.

Its killing me not having my phone. Currently stuck using my old phone with gingerbread... But I won't let them cheat me! going on 3 weeks without my phone...

I know I am in the right! They hope I will give up. Never! They have enough of my money!

I am sick of dealing with their call centres reading from scripts like idiotic robots and will be writing to their HQ here in the UK.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
    Htc's customer service really sucks. I had to wait so long and you have to wait so long. I hate how they don't do anything about the one mini's plastic cracking. But I like sense more than anything else in android.
    @RuffBuster In situations like these you need to remain calm, getting irate on the phone will do nothing to help resolve the situation. I've had a little personal experience with HTC Service Centers, HTC's warranty & my legal rights. Both with my Desire HD & One X.

The important things you need to remember are HTC are not liable. They did not sell you the goods, even HTC's own e-store is not managed by them. (http://shop.emea.htc.com/uk/p_htc_store_terms.aspx).
    Your citing the wrong law, Your specific case would cite the "Sale of Goods Act 1979". As its the "good" that is concerned. - Source
    Additionally Trading Standards will be unable to help, as HTC did not sell you the phone.

You need to pressure the seller that they are responsible. As its within 3 months of sale, they need to prove that the good was of satisfactory quality.
    Your rights if an item is faulty
    In the first six months from when you buy something, the onus is on the seller to prove it was of satisfactory quality when you received it.
    If the seller simply says the problem must be due to something you've done, it's for them to prove that.
    If something is not of satisfactory quality, you have a statutory right under the Sale of Goods Act, to a refund, have it replaced or repaired for free.
    - Source

I had a similar issue with Phones4U and my Desire HD (faulty vibrate motor), if you cite the right law, they cannot push you about and ignore your legal rights, in the end I got a replacement from Phones4U not HTC.

If you need any help with what to say and to whom. Feel free to PM me and I can try to help.