[Q] Those who are now on KitKat (TouchWiz) any regrets?

Search This thread

Hakired

Nov 28, 2013
Melbourne
It's been eating at me since ROMs started coming out for KitKat whether I should upgrade to it or not. I'm quite happy with my 4.3 Custom Roms and CM11 Roms. The only thing I dont like about the CM11 is the bad sound and the obvious lack of note 3 specific features such as one handed mode and S-Pen and S-Note.

I can't get it out of my head and I would like to hear some feedback for people who already upgraded to Samsung's KitKat.
What are the main issues with most roms right now? Any regrets being in the new bootloader? Worth it?
Should I be a bit more patient and give DEVS more time to master 4.4?

For those that don't know when you upgrade to the new bootloader to try and install KitKat roms you cannot revert to the previous one so hence cannot flash 4.3 roms or AOSP roms.
(AFAIK only the Mexican Note 3 or Canadian I think have a way to go back or install 4.3 roms after going to the new bootleader)

LegendaryLvl1

Jun 6, 2013
It's been eating at me since ROMs started coming out for KitKat whether I should upgrade to it or not. I'm quite happy with my 4.3 Custom Roms and CM11 Roms. The only thing I dont like about the CM11 is the bad sound and the obvious lack of note 3 specific features such as one handed mode and S-Pen and S-Note.

I can't get it out of my head and I would like to hear some feedback for people who already upgraded to Samsung's KitKat.
What are the main issues with most roms right now? Any regrets being in the new bootloader? Worth it?
Should I be a bit more patient and give DEVS more time to master 4.4?

For those that don't know when you upgrade to the new bootloader to try and install KitKat roms you cannot revert to the previous one so hence cannot flash 4.3 roms or AOSP roms.
(AFAIK only the Mexican Note 3 or Canadian I think have a way to go back or install 4.3 roms after going to the new bootleader)

I don't know what others are experiencing at the moment - but I recently flashed Kit Kat and the only problem I seem to be having is that the WIFI will periodically disconnect for 5 second intervals about 10 times an hour. Other than that nothing else is a problem

I do really enjoy the new galaxy s voice. But mind you - I havent installed a custom rom yet

hillzx

Aug 26, 2012
satisfied with kitkat.. no regret

Sent from my SM-N900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

alom5

Dec 4, 2010
Call recording doesn't work and the camera is worse, I have flickering lines on my camera which I never had. But the phone is super fast and the battery is a great improvement. I wouldn't say you need to be on kit Kat if you are happy on 4.3....but the Poland firmware is obviously a test firmware.... So when all regions get it... Should be much better.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

polish_pat

Nov 30, 2011
Montreal
i heard it brakes compatibility with call recording software.

4.3 is stable enough for my liking.

works fine for me...
uba2e3a3.jpg
duperysa.jpg

Last edited:

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
I actually love the battery life on Kitkat... I have removed both Note 3's, sporting JB and Kitkat from power at the same time. I've been using the Kitkat phone all day making calls, sms'ing and other various things not to mention the auto updates...
Both phones have the same setup and syncing but the Kitkat phone which is being used has more power than JB phone which has sat on my bed all day long doing what it wants and not being used. It's down to 78% over about 11 hours. The Kiktkat one is at 86% ad has been used all day.
That's brilliant as far as I'm concerned...

skibadee

Apr 12, 2011
Bristol
Call recording doesn't work and the camera is worse, I have flickering lines on my camera which I never had. But the phone is super fast and the battery is a great improvement. I wouldn't say you need to be on kit Kat if you are happy on 4.3....but the Poland firmware is obviously a test firmware.... So when all regions get it... Should be much better.

Thats interesting, you never had flickering before you updated?

Mines been off for repair and is due back today. I dont know what they've done yet but I'd be surprised if software was the problem.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

testmonkey1

Dec 26, 2013
Well I would say the only regret is missing the ability to flash 4.3 ROMs and CM. Otherwise seems smoother and faster. So if you do like the TW features I would suggest upgrading.

Been upgraded for a couple of days know, busting my head around how to revert back to CM but I realized putting CM is not very productive when you think about it. The 4.4 stock ROM is damn fast so the only difference I'm seeing is in RAM Usage (stock ROM using much more ram naturally), but does it really matter on a device with 3GBs of Ram? I've never once been close to hitting that mark.. You do get all the S Pen features and stuff that probably made you buy the device in the first place.

So basically:

TW pluses
no bugs
S Pen and other features

CM pluses
no bloat
more customization options and annoyances fixed that should've been there in the first place.

alom5

Dec 4, 2010
Thats interesting, you never had flickering before you updated?

Mines been off for repair and is due back today. I dont know what they've done yet but I'd be surprised if software was the problem.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I didn't have any flickering before at all. I have flashed a few different roms... And it seems to have gone now... I think ?

flash515

Nov 21, 2011
works fine for me...
uba2e3a3.jpg
duperysa.jpg

Who's service do you use and which modem or radio do you have loaded. I have wind in Vancouver which does not use LTE but wonder if a different radio will allow me to use LTE from another carrier ie. say Rogers if I am out of coverage area of Wind. I notice with the stock Samsung software and Wind in Vancouver if I loose signal it sometimes does not automatically log back in even though I am within coverage area. My only complaint so far.

polish_pat

Nov 30, 2011
Montreal
Who's service do you use and which modem or radio do you have loaded. I have wind in Vancouver which does not use LTE but wonder if a different radio will allow me to use LTE from another carrier ie. say Rogers if I am out of coverage area of Wind. I notice with the stock Samsung software and Wind in Vancouver if I loose signal it sometimes does not automatically log back in even though I am within coverage area. My only complaint so far.

It turns out it doesn't work. The call record button is there but nothing happens when i press it.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i heard it brakes compatibility with call recording software.

4.3 is stable enough for my liking.