[GUIDE] How to Debrand, Rebrand & Flash Stock ROMs to your Sensation

Search This thread

alexp999

May 22, 2011
Dorset, UK
www.techngaming.com
After searching with no success for a clear way to debrand your sensation, I finally found a way reading lots of snippets, so thought I'd write it into one guide, to help others. This guide was written assuming you're running Windows, but other OS users should be able to follow most parts, except extracting rom.zip from the RUU.

This method can also be use to rebrand/reflash back to stock.

NB
If you follow this guide, you do so at your own risk, I cannot be held responsible if something goes wrong.
This process will wipe ALL data, including any recovery partitions or boot loaders you have installed.
S-OFF WILL BE RETAINED. (If you want restore S-ON, see last section)

CONTENTS

S-OFF
DEBRANDING
- METHOD 1
- METHOD 2
S-ON

S-OFF

First your Sensation needs to be S-OFF, if its not, follow the guide below (thanks to ikhzter's thread).
(99.9% of devices are shipped S-ON)

Step 1. To S-OFF your Sensation
Visit http://revolutionary.io/
download the application for your operating System.

IMPORTANT
Fill out the form under the download links with your OS, Device, Hboot Version and Serial number. This will give your beta key to enable you to S - OFF. Make a note of this.

How To get your Hboot Version - 3 methods below
1. Run the revolutionary Utility you just downloaded from http://revolutionary/.io and if it has found your device it should read
"Found your Device: HTC Sensation Z710* <pyramid-1.17.**** <This is your hboot version "1.17.****"

2. OR Take out your battery and put it back in. Keep hold of the volume down button and switch your phone on.
3. OR make sure fastboot is disabled in settings and shut down your phone
This can be done via Settings > Power> Untick "FAST BOOT" at the bottom.
4. Keep hold of the volume down button and switch your phone on.

Once you have completed the above
1. Uninstall HTC Sync and/or Doubletwist if you have them installed
2 WINDOWS USERS- You must Install these HTC drivers DOWNLOAD HERE. Linux Users can skip this
3. Confirm that USB Debugging is on (Settings -> Applications -> Development)
4. With phone on (not in HBOOT, just regular home screen), plug in USB cable and set it to HTC sync mode (IGNORE warning messages on your phone telling you it cannot find HTC Sync )
5. Launch revolutionary.exe. It should detect the phone and ask for your beta key
6. You're DONE S-OFF is complete...if it hangs on method 3. Try These Drivers HERE: or Factory Reset and then start again
7. Your Device is now S-OFF

Special Thanks to AlphaRev, unrEVOked Team, Bin4ry & to everyone else that made this happen

DEBRANDING

METHOD 1 - CID CHANGE

Thanks to ikhzter, ironeagle, broncogr and sowen222 for their posts to help create these instructions. You should try this method first, and use Method 2 as a fall back.

NB
Whenever you see: Enter the command "bla bla bla", you should type the text without quotes and follow with a carriage return (ENTER).

Before you can change the CID you need to decide what you want to change it to, a couple of examples:

SuperCID (flash any ROM) = 11111111
Stock Unbranded (UK/EU at least) = HTC__001
Vodafone UK (may cover other countries) = VODAP001

I am getting people to post their CIDs in this thread here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1195475

Otherwise this thread contains a number of different CID codes, although originally written for the DHD, HTC has kept most if not all codes the same.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10007960&postcount=206

2. WINDOWS USERS- You must Install these HTC drivers DOWNLOAD HERE. Linux Users can skip this

4. Download and the Android SDK (or if you know where to find it, just the adb and fastboot tools, then skip straight to part 10)
You can get it from here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html Choose the zip file.

5. Extract the contents of the zip file, and run the SDK manager

6. Accept and Install the Android SDK Platform Tools, you can reject all others as they are not needed.

7. When the download and install is finished, close the SDK manager.

8. Now copy the newly created "platform-tools" folder found in the SDK folder you extracted to an easy location, e.g. "C:\platform-tools".

9. You also need to copy "fastboot.exe" from the "tools" folder of the SDK folder you extracted, to your newly created "C:\platform-tools".

10. Open Command Prompt, either Run "cmd" or go to Start, Accesories, Command Prompt

11. Enter the command: "cd C:\platform-tools" (Or whatever location you copied the folder to earlier)

12. Ensure your phone is switched on (regular home screen) and connect it by USB in charging mode (Ensure usb debugging is on settings > applications > development)

13. Enter the command "adb devices". It should come back with list of devices attached and then your serial number.

14. Enter the command "adb reboot bootloader". (You device will restart and boot into fastboot USB)

15. Enter the command "fastboot oem writecid [CID number]"
(use the CID number chosen above, do not include square brackets) e.g. "fastboot oem writecid HTC__001"

16. Enter the command "fastboot reboot-bootloader"

17. Enter the command "fastboot getvar cid". If cid is what you entered you have succeeded

18. Enter the command "fastboot reboot"

19. You now need to pick the RUU you wish to flash, a good source is this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1074559

To debrand my Vodafone Sensation, I chose "RUU_Pyramid_HTC_Europe_1.35.401.1_Radio_10.43a.900 7.00U_10.51.9007.27_M3_release_198179_signed"

20. Once you have downloaded the RUU you would like to flash, run it (it can take a while to load), follow the instructions and your done!

21. Your phone should now reboot to first time setup, with your newly flashed ROM!

METHOD 2 - ENG HBOOT

Now the method I found to debrand (rather than messing about with CIDs), is using an ENG HBOOT, this is only temporary as the ROM we flash later on overwrites it.

Grab the file below (thanks to Bin4ry), and put it in the root of your SD Card. (i.e. if your on Windows, X:/ [where X is the letter of your Sensation's SD Card])

Flash ENG HBOOT
1. EITHER:
1a. Shut down your phone, then take out your battery and put it back in.​
OR:
1b. Make sure fastboot is disabled in settings and shut down your phone (This can be done via Settings > Power> Untick "FAST BOOT" at the bottom.)​

2. Keep hold of the volume down button and switch your phone on.

3. When it asks "Do you want to start the update", press Volume Up to accept

5. Press Power Off to reboot back to normal homescreen

6. Remove PG58IMG.zip from your memory card

Download an RUU
1. You now need to pick the RUU you wish to flash, a good source is this thread:

To debrand my Vodafone Sensation, I chose "RUU_Pyramid_HTC_Europe_1.35.401.1_Radio_10.43a.900 7.00U_10.51.9007.27_M3_release_198179_signed"

2. Once you have downloaded the RUU you would like to flash, run it (it can take a while to load), and stop when you get the welcome screen, which has a picture of a Sensation on the left and a red caution notice on the right.

3. Move this window out of the way (it forces itself into foreground), then open up windows explorer and go to:
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp

4. Then sort by Date Modified. Find the newest folder with a long random sequence of numbers as its name, go in here and you should see, three files and a folder: corecomp, dotnetinstaller, IBSEW64. (the files may be different on 32-bit OS), now go into the folder which has another long random name.

In there amongst a lot of files (use search if you need to), you will find rom.zip. This is the rom we want to flash!

5. Copy the rom.zip file to the root of your SD Card
(i.e. if your on Windows, X:/ [where X is the letter of your Sensation's SD Card])

6. Rename the rom.zip you just put on your SD Card, to PG58IMG.zip (ensure you do not rename it to PG58IMG.zip.zip or it wont work!)

7. Find the "HTC Android ROM Update Utility" Window, and hit Cancel.

THIS IS YOUR LAST OPPORTUNITY TO BACKUP DATA, ALL EXISTING DATA, CONTACTS, MESSAGES SETTINGS, APPS, ETC, WILL BE DELETED AFTER THE NEXT STEP.

MAKE SURE THE BATTERY INDICATOR IN THE NOTIFICATION AREA SHOWS GREEN, NOT ORANGE OR RED, BEFORE CONTINUING.

Flash RUU (rom.zip)
1. EITHER:
OR:
1b. Make sure fastboot is disabled in settings and shut down your phone (This can be done via Settings > Power> Untick "FAST BOOT" at the bottom.)​

3. When it asks "Do you want to start the update", press Volume Up to accept (this can take a while and its normal for the system part to appear to go in a loop several times)

5. Press Power Off to reboot to first time setup.

6. Your phone is now debranded!

7. Remove PG58IMG.zip from your memory card

S-ON

You may want to put your phone back to S-ON after following the rest of this guide, for example if you have reflashed your original rom and want to return it for warranty repair. Thanks to ikhzter thread, we have a way to do this!

1. Open Command Prompt, either Run "cmd" or go to Start, Accesories, Command Prompt

2. Enter the command: "cd C:\platform-tools" (Or whatever location you copied the folder to earlier)

3. Ensure your phone is switched on (regular home screen) and connect it by USB in charging mode (Ensure usb debugging is on settings > applications > development)

4. Enter the command "adb devices". It should come back with list of devices attached and then your serial number.

5. Enter the command "adb reboot bootloader". (You device will restart and boot into fastboot USB)

6. Enter the command "fastboot oem writesecureflag 3". (Thanks Dazweeja)

7. Reboot into bootloader using "fastboot reboot-bootloader" or remove & reinsert the battery and press power on while keeping hold of volume down.

8. Bootloader should now read Pyramid PVT Ship S-ON RL.

9. Remove and reinsert the battery. Press power on as normal

You should now have S-on back and you can return your device or do whatever it is covered again under warranty.

10. IF IT DOESN'T REBOOT and bootloader says ***Security Warning**
Remove and re-insert the battery and go back into bootloader and holding Volume Down +power button select fastboot

11. Run RUU_Pyramid_***.exe to reflash stock rom. (the one you downloaded earlier) and then reboot. It should work now

Enjoy!

Last edited:

xl VipeR lx

Sep 17, 2007
UK
Thanks for this, its very useful and handy. I have included you in post 1 of my Sticky, It could help a lot of users.

how about in the temporary folder people search for rom.zip using the search tool. that could work too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moleculinary

happyendin21

Feb 13, 2010
warranty

can this be used to flash back to stock to submit my sensation for sporadic unresponsive screen problems?? Or will they still be able to tell that it was
s-off. Thanks in advance for any input

PG101

RC-RT Liaison Admin - Devil's Advocate
Staff member
Aug 12, 2008
Just wondering.. is S OFF enough to flash roms and radios? or should we flash the ENG HBOOT as well? Confused!! Cant remember from the DHD days..

BTW thanks to both of you for awesum tutorials.. it will be a Sunday well spent LOL :)

sowen222

Oct 19, 2010
Amsterdam
Well documented, easy to follow - I now am the proud owner of an unbranded Sensation. Thank you VERY much for this!

stanny2k

Jun 7, 2011
Cardiff
I'm with Three UK, will this remove the Three splash screen I see everytime I boot up and shut down my phone?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA Premium App

Trekest

Sep 9, 2009
One question - will flashing the RUU using this method (or by running it normally) revert the device to S-On?

I'm asking this for warranty purposes if in any case I'll have to send in my phone for repair.

binarybulge

Played with this process... pretty happy with the results on my TMOUS S4G. Haven't tested everything, such as the 4G radio, but I will report back.

Another step I think is worth doing if you're coming from ANY other ROM and would like to totally start clean:

After copying PG58IMG.zip to the SD card, shut your phone off. Pull the SD card out of it. Boot into recovery, and then fastboot over USB.

Issue this: 'fastboot erase system -w'

It will completely clear anything related to your current ROM. Now, shut your phone off again, put the SD card back in, and boot into recovery. The flashing process should begin as described in the OP.

Of course, before you do any of that, make sure you can get into clockwork recovery and do a nandroid backup. :)

Update: Looking good. No '4G' icon, instead it shows H for HSPA. Don't really care about that... it works as it should. Speed tests showing 6586/1724 HSPA and 21415/4134 cable/wifi.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After searching with no success for a clear way to debrand your sensation, I finally found a way reading lots of snippets, so thought I'd write it into one guide, to help others. This guide was written assuming you're running Windows, but other OS users should be able to follow most parts, except extracting rom.zip from the RUU.

This method can also be use to rebrand/reflash back to stock.

NB
    If you follow this guide, you do so at your own risk, I cannot be held responsible if something goes wrong.
    This process will wipe ALL data, including any recovery partitions or boot loaders you have installed.
    S-OFF WILL BE RETAINED. (If you want restore S-ON, see last section)

CONTENTS

S-OFF
    DEBRANDING
    - METHOD 1
    - METHOD 2
    S-ON

S-OFF

First your Sensation needs to be S-OFF, if its not, follow the guide below (thanks to ikhzter's thread).
    (99.9% of devices are shipped S-ON)

Step 1. To S-OFF your Sensation
    Visit http://revolutionary.io/
    download the application for your operating System.

IMPORTANT
    Fill out the form under the download links with your OS, Device, Hboot Version and Serial number. This will give your beta key to enable you to S - OFF. Make a note of this.

How To get your Hboot Version - 3 methods below
    1. Run the revolutionary Utility you just downloaded from http://revolutionary/.io and if it has found your device it should read
    "Found your Device: HTC Sensation Z710* <pyramid-1.17.**** <This is your hboot version "1.17.****"

2. OR Take out your battery and put it back in. Keep hold of the volume down button and switch your phone on.
    3. OR make sure fastboot is disabled in settings and shut down your phone
    This can be done via Settings > Power> Untick "FAST BOOT" at the bottom.
    4. Keep hold of the volume down button and switch your phone on.

Once you have completed the above
    2 WINDOWS USERS- You must Install these HTC drivers DOWNLOAD HERE. Linux Users can skip this
    4. With phone on (not in HBOOT, just regular home screen), plug in USB cable and set it to HTC sync mode (IGNORE warning messages on your phone telling you it cannot find HTC Sync )
    5. Launch revolutionary.exe. It should detect the phone and ask for your beta key
    6. You're DONE S-OFF is complete...if it hangs on method 3. Try These Drivers HERE: or Factory Reset and then start again
    7. Your Device is now S-OFF

Special Thanks to AlphaRev, unrEVOked Team, Bin4ry & to everyone else that made this happen

DEBRANDING

METHOD 1 - CID CHANGE

Thanks to ikhzter, ironeagle, broncogr and sowen222 for their posts to help create these instructions. You should try this method first, and use Method 2 as a fall back.

NB
    Whenever you see: Enter the command "bla bla bla", you should type the text without quotes and follow with a carriage return (ENTER).

Before you can change the CID you need to decide what you want to change it to, a couple of examples:

SuperCID (flash any ROM) = 11111111
    Stock Unbranded (UK/EU at least) = HTC__001
    Vodafone UK (may cover other countries) = VODAP001

I am getting people to post their CIDs in this thread here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1195475

Otherwise this thread contains a number of different CID codes, although originally written for the DHD, HTC has kept most if not all codes the same.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10007960&postcount=206

2. WINDOWS USERS- You must Install these HTC drivers DOWNLOAD HERE. Linux Users can skip this

4. Download and the Android SDK (or if you know where to find it, just the adb and fastboot tools, then skip straight to part 10)
    You can get it from here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html Choose the zip file.

5. Extract the contents of the zip file, and run the SDK manager

6. Accept and Install the Android SDK Platform Tools, you can reject all others as they are not needed.

7. When the download and install is finished, close the SDK manager.

8. Now copy the newly created "platform-tools" folder found in the SDK folder you extracted to an easy location, e.g. "C:\platform-tools".

9. You also need to copy "fastboot.exe" from the "tools" folder of the SDK folder you extracted, to your newly created "C:\platform-tools".

10. Open Command Prompt, either Run "cmd" or go to Start, Accesories, Command Prompt

11. Enter the command: "cd C:\platform-tools" (Or whatever location you copied the folder to earlier)

12. Ensure your phone is switched on (regular home screen) and connect it by USB in charging mode (Ensure usb debugging is on settings > applications > development)

13. Enter the command "adb devices". It should come back with list of devices attached and then your serial number.

14. Enter the command "adb reboot bootloader". (You device will restart and boot into fastboot USB)

15. Enter the command "fastboot oem writecid [CID number]"
    (use the CID number chosen above, do not include square brackets) e.g. "fastboot oem writecid HTC__001"

16. Enter the command "fastboot reboot-bootloader"

17. Enter the command "fastboot getvar cid". If cid is what you entered you have succeeded

18. Enter the command "fastboot reboot"

19. You now need to pick the RUU you wish to flash, a good source is this thread:

20. Once you have downloaded the RUU you would like to flash, run it (it can take a while to load), follow the instructions and your done!

21. Your phone should now reboot to first time setup, with your newly flashed ROM!

METHOD 2 - ENG HBOOT

Now the method I found to debrand (rather than messing about with CIDs), is using an ENG HBOOT, this is only temporary as the ROM we flash later on overwrites it.

Grab the file below (thanks to Bin4ry), and put it in the root of your SD Card. (i.e. if your on Windows, X:/ [where X is the letter of your Sensation's SD Card])

Flash ENG HBOOT
    1. EITHER:
    OR:

3. When it asks "Do you want to start the update", press Volume Up to accept

5. Press Power Off to reboot back to normal homescreen

6. Remove PG58IMG.zip from your memory card

Download an RUU
    1. You now need to pick the RUU you wish to flash, a good source is this thread:

2. Once you have downloaded the RUU you would like to flash, run it (it can take a while to load), and stop when you get the welcome screen, which has a picture of a Sensation on the left and a red caution notice on the right.

3. Move this window out of the way (it forces itself into foreground), then open up windows explorer and go to:
    C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp

4. Then sort by Date Modified. Find the newest folder with a long random sequence of numbers as its name, go in here and you should see, three files and a folder: corecomp, dotnetinstaller, IBSEW64. (the files may be different on 32-bit OS), now go into the folder which has another long random name.

In there amongst a lot of files (use search if you need to), you will find rom.zip. This is the rom we want to flash!

5. Copy the rom.zip file to the root of your SD Card
    (i.e. if your on Windows, X:/ [where X is the letter of your Sensation's SD Card])

6. Rename the rom.zip you just put on your SD Card, to PG58IMG.zip (ensure you do not rename it to PG58IMG.zip.zip or it wont work!)

7. Find the "HTC Android ROM Update Utility" Window, and hit Cancel.

THIS IS YOUR LAST OPPORTUNITY TO BACKUP DATA, ALL EXISTING DATA, CONTACTS, MESSAGES SETTINGS, APPS, ETC, WILL BE DELETED AFTER THE NEXT STEP.

MAKE SURE THE BATTERY INDICATOR IN THE NOTIFICATION AREA SHOWS GREEN, NOT ORANGE OR RED, BEFORE CONTINUING.

Flash RUU (rom.zip)
    1. EITHER:
    OR:

3. When it asks "Do you want to start the update", press Volume Up to accept (this can take a while and its normal for the system part to appear to go in a loop several times)

5. Press Power Off to reboot to first time setup.

6. Your phone is now debranded!

7. Remove PG58IMG.zip from your memory card

S-ON

You may want to put your phone back to S-ON after following the rest of this guide, for example if you have reflashed your original rom and want to return it for warranty repair. Thanks to ikhzter thread, we have a way to do this!

1. Open Command Prompt, either Run "cmd" or go to Start, Accesories, Command Prompt

2. Enter the command: "cd C:\platform-tools" (Or whatever location you copied the folder to earlier)

3. Ensure your phone is switched on (regular home screen) and connect it by USB in charging mode (Ensure usb debugging is on settings > applications > development)

4. Enter the command "adb devices". It should come back with list of devices attached and then your serial number.

5. Enter the command "adb reboot bootloader". (You device will restart and boot into fastboot USB)

6. Enter the command "fastboot oem writesecureflag 3". (Thanks Dazweeja)

7. Reboot into bootloader using "fastboot reboot-bootloader" or remove & reinsert the battery and press power on while keeping hold of volume down.

8. Bootloader should now read Pyramid PVT Ship S-ON RL.

9. Remove and reinsert the battery. Press power on as normal

You should now have S-on back and you can return your device or do whatever it is covered again under warranty.

10. IF IT DOESN'T REBOOT and bootloader says ***Security Warning**
    Remove and re-insert the battery and go back into bootloader and holding Volume Down +power button select fastboot

11. Run RUU_Pyramid_***.exe to reflash stock rom. (the one you downloaded earlier) and then reboot. It should work now

Enjoy!
    Hello,

My phone is rooted and I want to back to stock condition because after rooting there is so much issue about charging, USB plug, wifi tether stop working etc :(

My phone condition is S-ON, HTCDev unlocked and rooted and install CWM using guide from here :

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1632553

--

Then I follow guide from here to do SuperCID -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1192300

But I am stuck on writing SuperCID because the cmd looking for a .CRD file that maybe required to do writing SuperCID.

Anyway, can I just download the stock ROM and flash directly to the phone with HTCDev unlocked and S-ON and rooted with CMW installed?

Thanks!

Sorry for my bad english :)

• to flash Stock RUU you need :
      • install htc sync on your PC , you may need to connect to PC in sync mode
      • usb debugging enabled in setting \ application \ development
      • fast boot box unchecked in Setting \ power
      • bootloader must be locked again " fastboot oem lock " before flashing RUU.exe
      • disable firewall and antivirus software and any software that uses usb
      • start RUU.exe as admin
    • if you face problems then try the following :
      • do a factory reset then execute the following commands in fastboot
      • fastboot erase cache
        fastboot oem rebootRUU

And then flash the RUU.exe as admin
    • you can also read this thread [GUIDE]RUU related info (S-On with RUU, extracting rom.zip & other flashing methods)
    [ Soleved ] successful Firmware Downgrade (Also OTA Downgrade ) and successful S-OFF

Can anyone tell me if revolutionary will s-off my htc sensation hboot 1.18.0000 because when i try to s-off revolutionary method says (failed to get root) if revolutionary can s-off hboot 1.18.0000 can anoyone post any step by step tutorial because this is not working to me on windows 7 x86 my sensation ( android 2.3.4 software number 1.52.720.3 radio 10.56.9035.00U_10.14.9035.01_M) THANKS

• [ Soleved ] You need to downgrade your Software , follow the link at the bottom of the post for successful software Downgrade ( and also OTA downgrade ) , ( Proved working on 1.52 and a successful S-off )

• Revolutionary supports hboot 1.18 and also 2.3.4 ( Proved ) ,
    • software number 1.52.720.3 ( which is a recent OTA ) it is causing this . ( it acts same as new htc drivers in Preventing revolutionary from doing S-off ) ,
    • if this is the case , you need to downgrade your software by installing an older rom

Revolutionary Method ( Gingerbread )

• Video link for very detailed instructions ( for htc Incredible 2 phone ,it is for gingerbread also ) , Procedure is the same , Only difference is you have to replace any required information " name and bootloader " and downloads " recovery " to fit sensation , Link is here
    • uninstall htc new drivers and htc Sync , and use the old htc drivers (v 3.0.0.007) mentioned in revolutionary page ( for windows users ) ,New htc drivers prevent Revolutionary from doing its job ( Proved ).
    • if you are using htc dev unlock method , you have to re-lock your bootloader before using revolutionary
    • run Revolutionary as administrator
    • remove any conflicting software ( like Verizon vcast ) ,remove any conflicting APK from your device , disable any firewall or antivirus , use a different clean browser without the add-on extensions , clean browser cache
    Copy and Paste in cmd

• Better to avoid typing , use copy and Paste
    • see attached photo , right click top toolbar and select edit then paste or copy

helpful links for Alternatives and more informations (
    Also for firmware Downgrade , and Latest OTA Downgrade , and get successful s-off after downgrade ) :

Press thanks Button for this Post
    Thanks for this, its very useful and handy. I have included you in post 1 of my Sticky, It could help a lot of users.

how about in the temporary folder people search for rom.zip using the search tool. that could work too.