Set Gmail to sync manually?

Search This thread

ArtieQ

Jul 24, 2009
Sweden
How can I set so Gmail is set to sync manually? Now whenever I get a mail it notifies me instantly. I've checked every setting but can't find the sync option.

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
How can I set so Gmail is set to sync manually? Now whenever I get a mail it notifies me instantly. I've checked every setting but can't find the sync option.

disable it in google sync first. now if you want to check for new mail, open gmail, then swipe down on the screen. or, press the menu(top right, 3 dots), then press refresh :)

ArtieQ

Jul 24, 2009
Sweden
Ah thanks guys, I must have missed that one lol. Will be interesting to see how much of a difference this will make to the battery as I get a lot of emails but usually just check my mail like 5 times a day or so.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Uhm, I don't think so? Before Gmail was fetching all the time which meant the process was active at all times, now it's terminated so I would assume battery life will improve.

The process just listens, it doesn't actively seek out anything. The process is still "active" even if you manually sync. With a scheduled refresh you will be "hand shaking" every time so this obviously uses more power than push. If you're only manually syncing 5 times a day, this can't be on that level so you may see a small increase (well you probably wont "see" or "notice" the difference) in battery life.

You'd have to have the screen on to read them anyway but it would be on longer with a manual sync as with push the e-mails would be already there and pull - you'd have the screen on whilst waiting for them to come in.

I don't think you will see any noticeable difference, but will be interesting to see your results...

bestmvno.com

Mar 8, 2014
bestmvno.com
Uhm, I don't think so? Before Gmail was fetching all the time which meant the process was active at all times, now it's terminated so I would assume battery life will improve.

As mentioned before, it does not fetch email. Google's servers send the messages to you only when you have a new one. Fetching is when your phone wakes up at predefined intervals, checks the server for new messages and then goes back to sleep. Fetching wastes battery and is inefficient. Disabling sync on your gmail is pretty much pointless and will have next to 0 impact on your battery life. It sounds to me more like you are unhappy with being notified very often of new messages. For that I suggest you simply disable notifications for the various inbox labels in your gmail app. I currently have 4 gmail accounts actively syncing, and this is what an overnight battery test looks like for me