[Q] System rebooting (and there's nothing I can do!)

Search This thread
Feb 24, 2014
So, today I received an update. 4.4.3.

I downloaded (from Android). After that, I needed to reboot to install ...
But It didn't install anything! It just rebooted ... and now, after 20-30 seconds, the system is rebooting itself!

What happened? What can I do?

(Rooted phone)

Unfathomable

Jun 13, 2014
St. Petersburg, FL
You can't do OTA updates on a rooted phone. The only solution I would suggest would be to manually flash the stock .IMG Zip and Radio files

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Unfathomable

Jun 13, 2014
St. Petersburg, FL
Generally speaking when doing a OTA update on a rooted device it will either unroot the device and push the update, not push the update through because a custom recovery is installed, or not boot at all or softbrick with a bootloop.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

metpolds

Jun 11, 2011
@Unfathomable .... Be careful with the advice you give posters in the forum. What you claim about rooted Moto G phones being unable to take OTA updates is total rubbish.

My XT1034 was fully rooted, all I did was replace the custom recovery with the stock recovery and then the OTA downloaded and updated my device to 4.4.3. The phone was still rooted with read/write access to all folders, files and apps and all I had to do was flash back my custom recovery.

Maybe you are quoting what happened to your device which wasn't a Moto G ....In which case you shouldn't be quoting it in this forum.

Unfathomable

Jun 13, 2014
St. Petersburg, FL
I was speaking in a general term. I'm very familiar with the moto g in fact and from the situation If the device will not boot the only solution would be to revert to stock.

secretkloud

Oct 7, 2013
So, today I received an update. 4.4.3.

I downloaded (from Android). After that, I needed to reboot to install ...
But It didn't install anything! It just rebooted ... and now, after 20-30 seconds, the system is rebooting itself!

What happened? What can I do?

(Rooted phone)
This is why XDA practically begs you to search the forum before posting a problem. Several things you all should know:

- The phone was rebooting because the recovery could not update and the phone sees the update files in /cache when it finally boots, and of course it restarts to apply the update...and will keep doing so until the update is complete. We've treated why this happens just a few days ago so I won't bother. Look it up in General.

- Moto G can receive OTA updates whether unlocked, rooted, whatever, so long as the stock ROM is running. Applying the update, well.....

- The stock recovery is actually not the best choice if you've tweaked your stock ROM. It will always cause the constant reboots if it sees something wrong without telling you why.

Look up the ANDROID 4.4.3 IS OUT post (or something like that). Read through, educate yourselves, then try out what has been suggested. It's easy...