[MOD][XPOSED] Fire TV Mods by rbox

Search This thread

mrchrister

Nov 28, 2009
i just flashed sdk22 to firetv 1 and xposed seems to work. since firestarter doesnt work well and i want to get rid of the amazon home alltogether I will use xbmc launcher now

mezdev

Sep 16, 2014
i just flashed sdk22 to firetv 1 and xposed seems to work. since firestarter doesnt work well and i want to get rid of the amazon home alltogether I will use xbmc launcher now
I installed as you have a few days ago, are there any other launchers you would recommend or is xmbc launcher the only one you have tried?thanks

mrchrister

Nov 28, 2009
only one i tried and seems to work well! another easy way is to get spmc launcher edition, then you don't need an extra launcher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: mezdev

I_did_it_just_tmrrow

Feb 27, 2011
It seems that @WheelchairArtist make some changes to your repo @rbox ?
https://github.com/WheelchairArtist/RboxFireTvMods

Perhaps you can combine your work with @is0-mick 's work and nice kodi-voice search integration:
edit: 07/07/2016
I did start work a few months back on an Xposed module (works but not 100%), I was going to add a settings page but I think there was issues with xposed on android version that the fire tv runs on, due to permissions etc.

You can set a prefix in the code (currently hard coded to KODI) so if you say " kodi star wars" it would pass the param of "star wars" to kodi.
If you just say "star wars" without the prefix it would pass this to the normal amazon UI.

If anyone wants to take it further, it's attached on the link below.

http://uptobox.com/ensqll4a7r65

Mick

Greetings by Idijt

Last edited:

idocinthebox

Feb 22, 2011
Google Pixel XL
Installing xposed is extremely dangerous and can lead to bricking your device. Properly installing it requires recovery. I suppose if you have hardware access to the MMC via the hardware root method, then it's less dangerous. Either way, I stand by the fact that xposed requires recovery.
Since The recovery and rooted FireOS5 can be installed on AFTV1 can we safely install xposed?? Has anyone made a guide??
I love you man!

Greetings by Idijt

And where might that be, exactly? There's nothing in Applications, the module has been loaded and activated.. but there's nothing in xpose itself that points me to anything launchable.

Sent from my B1-850 using XDA-Developers mobile app

Jun 27, 2016
I don't want to disappoint some of you but i don't know if i continue to work on this module.
I'm just some non experienced once in a year hobby developer who doesn't know anything about java.
This is also my first time working on a xposed module.

Sadly this whole try and error thing drives me nuts: Try to get some method to hook. Hook in, recompile, reinstall, reboot, nothing works, check logs, nothing there, and so on.

i have some hard time to read the decompiled amazon packages, although i use an ide for it, and not getting any errors nor logs i put in the module doesn't make things easier for me. It took me almost a week to remove the Banner Ad. Now i have vacation and it's summer here, not hard to guess what I'm gonna do...

Things i wanted to bring in the module:
-Fix everything
-Useful stuff from HDXPosed
-Remove Controller Warning again
-Remove FSK18 Pin
-maybe fix system apps not launchable from app menu

Things i have done so far:
-Brought stuff from HDXPosed in
-Partially fixed HideLauncherAds (banner doesn't get shown but item remains)

BTW: The main point for me to start working on this is to support rbox and introduce some changes in my fork i wanted so see for myself, since everyone just sits there and wait for rbox to fix this.

Attachments

• app-debug.apk
    32.1 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: deanr1977

ncube2

Jan 25, 2012
Excuse me for my ignorance but i am unable to install V1.5 Resflux apk on my rooted AFTV1 after installing Xposed to change my wallpaper setup. I dont see any
update on aftvnews site as well if this works with the new Fire OS5. Can someone help me out.
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_UPDATE_INCOMPATIBLE] -

xenyz

Oct 30, 2010
I just used rbox's Xposed FireTV mods to get Firestopper working again on 5.2.1.0_r1. IMHO, it's an under-rated use of this xposed module, as I searched the thread and didn't find any post about it.

You don't need a 'launcher' app when you can set any app to launch with the home key (or any key) in key_codes.xml!

adam_ky

Feb 3, 2014
OK, I got it all working. I have a few questions I can't seem to find though.
I looked at the site for the key map.. But I can't get how to set a double press.
Say I wanted to make double press home open something, what would the string be?

My main reason for using this was so that I could use firestarter and mouse toggle for fire tv. Both of these use the adb and you can't really use both at the same time unless you do a certain sequence with adb each restart. It was annoying. Now I have all the home and adb options turned off in firestarter. Have the home key mapped to fire starter.. This works great because now only the mouse toggle uses the adb.. So no conflicts.
Here is my next question. I'd like to get rid of mouse toggle all together and use the key_mapper.XML to accomplish what it does.
To do this it would require double press play to bring up the built in fire TV mouse with remote control ability. Certain fire TV menus allow you to bring up pointer and control it with mouse.. So I know its there somewhere. Anyways, how would this be done? Would be so great to free up the adb completely.

That's all for my questions about the kwymapper.

Here is an issue I have noticed. Its with sleep. If I put the fire TV to sleep.. Upon wakeup it goes directly to the amazon stock home screen. Is this normal? I'd like it to not do this if possible if I can change something.

schneid

Dec 3, 2007
In the wind
After following this guide (http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-remove-the-banner-ad-on-the-fire-tv-home-screen/), my AFTV4k screen looks the same- banner ad at the top, and can’t hide any of the side menus. Xposed shows I have RboxFireTvMods 1.4 active in modules, and says "xposed framework version 86 is active" with a big green check mark. I am using the sloane prerooted 5.2.1.1r1 ROM, no other modules installed. Why do I still see ads?

You also need HDXPosed-1.3.apk

lightykd

Dec 4, 2008
Any chance we can get a MOGA mod so that we can select certain games on our Fire TV to treat all controllers as a MOGA? The OUYA used to have a similar mod made by Wonder Lee, the AFTV2 could really use one :)

gwinni

Jan 1, 2009
On Firetv2 with OS 5.2.1.1 installed the mod an firestarter or appstarter the fire tv home button in the app menu is missing. How can i bring this button back or how to get in the fire tv home?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a collection of Fire TV mods using Xposed. It requires that you are on software version 51.1.4.0 or newer. It currently contains:

• AlternateLauncher: This will start an alternate launcher instead of the Amazon one. It will load when the Fire TV starts and anytime you push the home button. The way this is done is a little hokey and there is currently no way to turn it off or select which launcher you want, so if you have more than one, the one that gets started is it.
    • HideAmazonMenuItems: Gives a settings menu to select which menu items to show.
    • HideLauncherAds: Hide the ad at the top of the Home screen.
    • KeyBindings: Allows any key to start any app.
    • RecentsOnMenuLong: Bring up the recents dialog when long pressing the home button.
    HideAmazonMenuItems:
    In order to do this, I had to hijack an existing Settings item, so the Help option is gone and I put a 'Menu Items' option at the beginning of the settings list. You can turn on/off any item except Home and Settings. After making changes you must reboot to see the changes.

KeyBindings:
    Someone requested this, but doing a UI for it would be too complicated, and I figured I'd put the feature out there for people to use, and eventually get around to making a UI for it. For now, you'll have to configure it manually. Create a file called key_bindings.xml and make it look like this:
    Code:
    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8' standalone='yes' ?>
    <map>
    <string name="KEYCODE_F1">org.chromium.content_shell_apk</string>
    <string name="KEYCODE_F2_LONG">com.pandora.android.gtv</string>
    </map>

You can have as many entries as you like. You can find the KEYCODE names listed here: http://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/KeyEvent.html To set up a long press key put _LONG at the end of the key name. The other part is the package name you wish to start, org.chromium.content_shell_apk is Netflix. Then just adb push key_bindings.xml /sdcard/ and reboot. And it should start whatever app you specified when pressing that button. Do note that the button will not longer do whatever else it used to do. So if you bind ENTER to something, it will not longer function normally. By default, long press on home will launch the recents dialog. If you set up KEYCODE_HOME_LONG, it will override that behavior.

Starting with 51.1.5.0, Amazon provides a shortcut menu on home long press. If you would like to retain this functionality, you can use this key_bindings.xml file (Thanks to @Firef0xx819):
    Code:
    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8' standalone='yes' ?>
    <map>
    <string name="KEYCODE_HOME_LONG"></string>
    </map>

Please let me know if you have any issues. One problem I know of is that it doesn't seem to show up in the list of applications, so if you want to uninstall it you need to use adb, ssh, or a terminal using the command pm uninstall rbox.xposed.firetvmods

Source code: https://github.com/androidrbox/RboxFireTvMods/

Changelog and Downloads:
    • 1.4: Added HideLauncherAds
    • 1.3: Fix HideAmazonMenuItems for 51.1.4.0.
    • 1.2: Allow KeyBindings to support long press keys
    • 1.1: Added HideAmazonMenuItems, KeyBindings, and RecentsOnMenuLong
    • 1.0: Initial version
    Update. xposed installed fine. The problem was the result of using an out of date apk. That is fixed.

I am still having trouble with RBox's mods. Has anyone else had any success?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also RBox is the The Man. Thanks again for all you have done over the past year.

I don't imagine any part of it works still. I'll have to redo it all probably.
    I updated the OP with version 1.4 to hide those annoying ads on the main screen.
    Hi rbox,
    Thanks much for your hard work, and the great tools you've provided for us. Is this the best place to look for updates on the menu items issue? I updated the firmware to get the new Netflix app, but I really miss the menu items fix!

Thanks.

I just updated the OP with 1.3 which fixes the menu items in 51.1.4.0.
    Can you or anybody tell if it run with a KingRoot Fire OS 5 FireTV box gen1?

Greetings by Idijt

So this module is pretty busted in FireOS5. Not to mention the fact that you really should only be installing Xposed with recovery, which I haven't released for KingRoot rooted boxes yet. Once I get recovery for firetv1 done, I'm moving on to Fire Stick. Then once that is all done, I will revisit this module.