Android Wear in AOSP/OpenSource?

Search This thread

the|gamer

Sep 27, 2009
Rhineland-Palatinate
Hello,
I just wanted to know if the Android Wear Project is also getting open source, cause we have so many Smartwatches that are allready based on Android (Gear, Moto Actv,...) so porting Android Wear over to them is not the hardest thing.

If you find something, please let me know!

Regards

mikereidis

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Yes, IMO a VERY important question that hasn't been answered yet.

I would be concerned that Google felt it was TOO open with Android proper and tried to restrict Wear even more.

If the current preview emulator is a good indication, then Wear is just another variant of Android. Many normal apps can run on it right now, though with issues. I tested my own app and it more or less worked, with a squished UI.

So I think a LOT of the Wear code is effectively already IN AOSP already.

But will Google release enough Wear specific code for custom ROMs to be built ? I very much hope so.

X

x102x96x

i

That will be gr8
custom launchers
like wht devs did on galaxy gear (they installed nova launcher on it)
or using custom keyboard like minuum beside voice input.

system dump;
source

Last edited:

mikereidis

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Praying for a port of Android Wear for Galaxy Gear!!!!

Prayer is the only remote hope you have, I think.

There are reasons Gears are going cheap now.

You really think Samsung won't take every opportunity to sell you new wearables, EVERY year at least ?

EVERY few months, new, "in fashion" designs.

Every year, moar cores, LOL.

We'll be overclocking on both wrists to keep our hands warm in winter... ;)

Finkes

Oct 29, 2014
Android wear without wear

Couldn't we just built a custom android wear version which is based on one of the regular open source android versions? Like e.g. android kitkat with a special launcher and a way to display notifications similar to android wear

Scary Guy

Couldn't we just built a custom android wear version which is based on one of the regular open source android versions? Like e.g. android kitkat with a special launcher and a way to display notifications similar to android wear

IMO they're going to need to for it to be usable by the pro-android anti-google crowd.

I have the LG G Watch and I have it unlocked with TWRP and a custom ROM on it. However it still can't connect to my phone unless I have a Google account on it, so I can use the Play Store to download the Android Wear app and connect it via Bluetooth.

So I figured "fine whatever, I'll just put it in airplane mode and use it as a regular watch until someone comes up with an Open Source solution" right?

Wrong, turns out I CAN'T EVEN CHANGE THE TIME! It updates that from the phone which updates from the time servers on the net. Good thing I have an older phone that I can stick Google on to work with it I guess.

All I want is my texts on my watch without having to get spied upon by the almighty Google.

Also, they should call it AWOSP because it sounds awesome.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes, IMO a VERY important question that hasn't been answered yet.

I would be concerned that Google felt it was TOO open with Android proper and tried to restrict Wear even more.

If the current preview emulator is a good indication, then Wear is just another variant of Android. Many normal apps can run on it right now, though with issues. I tested my own app and it more or less worked, with a squished UI.

So I think a LOT of the Wear code is effectively already IN AOSP already.

But will Google release enough Wear specific code for custom ROMs to be built ? I very much hope so.
    Praying for a port of Android Wear for Galaxy Gear!!!!