Search This thread

Inous

Oct 17, 2010
Hey guys,

So I just picked up my new S3 on the release date and recently have been getting annoying "Severe Weather Alert" texts from Verizon. After getting texts about flash floods 3 hours from me I was getting annoyed. So, I jump online and couldnt find a single thread about it and if I did people were talking about a weather app. I finally figured it out and thought this may help others as well.

Click messaging
hit the menu button
scroll down to emergency alerts
Uncheck the alerts you dont want to receive
Back out of the menus
Viola! No Severe Alert texts!

Unfortunately presidential alerts cant be disabled, but those are probably pretty important anyway.

Enjoy!

GREGHARKINS

Jan 18, 2006
Alerts

All alerts including Presidential Alerts can be removed if you
Root stock room
and use No Bloat
and disable stock messaging app

i dont remove any apps so that you can always go back if there is an issue but disabling them will work

brockkk

Aug 29, 2010
this **** woke me up at 6am once with a flash flood warning from over 60 miles away. very annoying feature.

GREGHARKINS

Jan 18, 2006
alerts

I now use a paid app
On Guard Weather

its an awesome app, you can tailor it to your specific area by county.
and also it will alert you for many different classes,
fully customizable

jmorton10

Jul 1, 2008
Rochester, NY
Lol, I eliminated that "feature" immediately after the first flood warning I got.

I was texting on my phone when it came in and it scared the **** out of me.

Obrien8403

Aug 6, 2012
Dallas
I ceased getting the flash flood alerts when I switched to GOsms, my roommate, who was on the stock messaging app, continued to get the alert. I think I had disabled the stock app, but wasn't rooted at the time.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda app-developers app

titaniac

Aug 31, 2010
Thanks

Hey guys,

So I just picked up my new S3 on the release date and recently have been getting annoying "Severe Weather Alert" texts from Verizon. After getting texts about flash floods 3 hours from me I was getting annoyed. So, I jump online and couldnt find a single thread about it and if I did people were talking about a weather app. I finally figured it out and thought this may help others as well.

Click messaging
hit the menu button
Back out of the menus

Unfortunately presidential alerts cant be disabled, but those are probably pretty important anyway.

Enjoy!

Thank you for this post. Got woke up at 0300 for a flood warning about 50 miles away. Won't happen again now!

hollywoodfrodo

Mar 2, 2011
Long Beach
Thanks so much for this!!! I live in Long Beach - it hasn't rained here in several months and I kept getting flash flood warnings. Haha

Assumed this was some new required thing until I saw this post. You've saved me and my spouse a lot of annoyance.

Thanks,
Eric

Jarredw

Jul 1, 2012
San Diego
Thanks so much for this!!! I live in Long Beach - it hasn't rained here in several months and I kept getting flash flood warnings. Haha

Assumed this was some new required thing until I saw this post. You've saved me and my spouse a lot of annoyance.

Thanks,
Eric

Haha I get them too down here in San Diego

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

OmidoStyle

Nov 18, 2011
This is good to know, I got one of these the other day and couldn't figure out how/where/why/what I might have accidentally signed up for.

byrds8

Jul 24, 2011
Ive never had an alert about severe weather. Not sure why I haven't like others have. I use the stock weather app/clock too since It is a change from beweather.

kennych

Mar 9, 2011
Denver, CO
Hey guys,

Click messaging
hit the menu button
Back out of the menus

Enjoy!

Thank you. This just started alerting yesterday for me, now disabled and if the friggin' president sends an alert I'll probably already know it or be dead....

pearce508

Dec 26, 2012
Emergency Alert

I'm on the new jb build
I can't find anyplace to turn ON the emergency alerts.

Messaging>settings>(there is NO option for emergency alerts here)

google now settings has a public alert option but nothing came through with the blizzard warnings yesterday.

Anyone?
Thanks!

TheDiabolicaL1

Nov 17, 2011
I'm on the new jb build
I can't find anyplace to turn ON the emergency alerts.

Messaging>settings>(there is NO option for emergency alerts here)

google now settings has a public alert option but nothing came through with the blizzard warnings yesterday.

Anyone?
Thanks!

I wanted the weather alerts too and was disappointed Google now didn't dish them up to me so I went back to weather bug. Does Google take feature requests like our beloved Devs do??

my tapatalk signature sucks more than yours.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

Click messaging
    hit the menu button
    Back out of the menus

Enjoy!
    Disabling Presidential Alerts

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1829681

Thanks to this thread for motivating me to do this!