Search This thread

glitterballs

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 11, 2010
Bed-Stuy
A few words about the Optional But Totally Awesome Steam Kernel

Ok, so hopefully you read a bit about it in SzutpY's post. I compiled Steam recovery in English and made a kernel utilizing it. The kernel is similar in many ways to the Universal Lagfix Kernel SztupY also created. It has many of the same lagfix schemes, kernel tweaks, etc, again, all with a touchscreen interface. Other than Steam recovery, this kernel is identical to my 12-23 oc/uv kernel, so it's overclocked, and undervolt configurable, and it should be just as stable as that one.

Do not attempt to take the zImage with Steam recovery and place it in a flashable zip. You'll be a sad panda if you do. I'd advise waiting a few minutes after your system has booted to flash with Neldar's app. If you're using Odin, or Heimdall, reboot to download mode and flash like normal. Those are the options, either Neldar's app (AND NOT Tuxility!!) There are issues with flashing this via redbend_ua - the regular kernel can be flashed via redbend_ua, Steam cannot be.)

Steam recovery is based on ClockworkMod, but you have a touchscreen interface at recovery. Steam has many options to lagfix your system. So, you can have an all ext4 system (including /system), an all jfs system (again, including /system) or something in between. Read through sztupy's posts about Steam, or spend some time playing with it. I have to admit I was a little skeptical of it at first, but after using it for the last week or so, I absolutely love it.

If you're doing a filesystem conversion from Steam recovery, the zeroth thing you should do is check to make sure you have enough room on your SD card to copy /system, /data, /dbdata, and /cache. Then, make a backup. Occasionally after a filesystem conversion, the system will bootloop. Performing a three button forced reset and rebooting solves this. (In my experience at least. Like I said, make sure to backup first.)

If you do choose a No-RFS lagfix in Steam - Make sure you disable it before flashing another kernel/ROM. No-RFS uses a fake /efs to get a completely-rfs free ROM (only works if /system is set to be mounted as rw).

If it seems as though you've lost su (root)
So, I don't know why Steam does this, but the reason people were losing su was because it was automatically mounting /system nosuid. So, to fix this, there's probably more than one way to do this, but an easy way is to go into Steam, under boot options, select 'Always run adb as root' or something like that. Then reboot, open a terminal and type

Code:
mount -o remount,suid /dev/block/stl9 /system

. That will remount su access to /system (pretty important ), and then you will have root again, and Steam is finally usable again. Flash another kernel or whatever) I was really hoping I could blame this on something MikeyMike did, hmm...I may still find a way. ( Alternatively, it seems if you do a filesystem conversion on /system, /system will be remounted suid so you won't have to go through this, and I think /system conversions don't end up in boot loops like /data and /dbdata.
Credits
Xcaliburinhand - without whom we'd all be on JJ4 and JI6. *shudder*
SztupY - Steam recovery is the shiz.
raspdeep, neldar, xan

I'll probably edit this a few more times as there will be things that I want to add but have slipped my mind for the moment.

Ok - I uploaded a copy of the Steam kernel here. It deserves its own thread and it will get one, just don't feel like doing it right now. Read through this post, realize there are some errors with filesystem conversion. Make sure you do backups, if you get into a boot loops, do a hard reset and reboot normally, you should be good. This is meant to be flashed via Neldar's SGS Kernel Flasher app, or something like Heimdall or Odin.

Attachments

• gb-steam-kernel-12-28.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 1,273
Last edited:

gdbusby

Aug 5, 2010
Saint Albans WV
Am I the only one that prefers the original clock/alarm that was on the phone? Select custom ringtone is nice and it seems easier than the car/home.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App

Reactions: DRShockie

lrs421

Sep 29, 2010
New York
Mikey, does this contain the jpa wifi fix and external SD mount fix? Thanks.

Sent from my liberated Captivate via XDA App.

Phoenix-Lead

Oct 11, 2010
San Diego, CA
I guess my first post got deleted so I will do another one. This looks like it is going to be good.i actually enjoy the simplistic look.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App

s1l3nt

Jan 15, 2009
just when i thought i would stop flashing today i see another rom come out.. life of a rom addict

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Circle Battery Mod(s)

Updates:
    Uploaded V06
    Steam Recovery does not support Edify Scripts.

Version A
    picture.php

Version C
    picture.php

Gingerbread %
    picture.php

Thanks to Mikey for the help and to the UOT for the images.

Battery Mods for 1.0-1.6
    These have been removed PM if you need them!

Battery Mods for 1.7-2.0
    These have been moved you can find them HERE.

Battery Mods for 3.5-3.5.3 w/ Lock Mod
    Please use V04 for your battery mod!
    These have been configured with all UI changes made from 3.5-3.5.3.

Battery Mods for 4.0.1-X.X w/ Lock Mod
    Please use V06 for your battery mod!
    These have been configured with all UI changes made from 4.3

Theoretically these should work in the next versions unless changes are made to the framework-res.apk again.
    So just to be safe check back here as I will Post updates if and when they are needed/requested.

Install Instructions:
    Download the Appropriate zip and follow these simple steps
    1. Drop the .zip as is onto the SD card.
    2. Reboot into recovery.
    3. Select Install .zip from SD
    4. Select .zip on SD
    5. Confirm install
    6. Reboot
    7. Enjoy!
    A few words about the Optional But Totally Awesome Steam Kernel

Ok, so hopefully you read a bit about it in SzutpY's post. I compiled Steam recovery in English and made a kernel utilizing it. The kernel is similar in many ways to the Universal Lagfix Kernel SztupY also created. It has many of the same lagfix schemes, kernel tweaks, etc, again, all with a touchscreen interface. Other than Steam recovery, this kernel is identical to my 12-23 oc/uv kernel, so it's overclocked, and undervolt configurable, and it should be just as stable as that one.

Do not attempt to take the zImage with Steam recovery and place it in a flashable zip. You'll be a sad panda if you do. I'd advise waiting a few minutes after your system has booted to flash with Neldar's app. If you're using Odin, or Heimdall, reboot to download mode and flash like normal. Those are the options, either Neldar's app (AND NOT Tuxility!!) There are issues with flashing this via redbend_ua - the regular kernel can be flashed via redbend_ua, Steam cannot be.)

Steam recovery is based on ClockworkMod, but you have a touchscreen interface at recovery. Steam has many options to lagfix your system. So, you can have an all ext4 system (including /system), an all jfs system (again, including /system) or something in between. Read through sztupy's posts about Steam, or spend some time playing with it. I have to admit I was a little skeptical of it at first, but after using it for the last week or so, I absolutely love it.

If you're doing a filesystem conversion from Steam recovery, the zeroth thing you should do is check to make sure you have enough room on your SD card to copy /system, /data, /dbdata, and /cache. Then, make a backup. Occasionally after a filesystem conversion, the system will bootloop. Performing a three button forced reset and rebooting solves this. (In my experience at least. Like I said, make sure to backup first.)

If you do choose a No-RFS lagfix in Steam - Make sure you disable it before flashing another kernel/ROM. No-RFS uses a fake /efs to get a completely-rfs free ROM (only works if /system is set to be mounted as rw).

If it seems as though you've lost su (root)
    So, I don't know why Steam does this, but the reason people were losing su was because it was automatically mounting /system nosuid. So, to fix this, there's probably more than one way to do this, but an easy way is to go into Steam, under boot options, select 'Always run adb as root' or something like that. Then reboot, open a terminal and type

Code:
    mount -o remount,suid /dev/block/stl9 /system

. That will remount su access to /system (pretty important ), and then you will have root again, and Steam is finally usable again. Flash another kernel or whatever) I was really hoping I could blame this on something MikeyMike did, hmm...I may still find a way. ( Alternatively, it seems if you do a filesystem conversion on /system, /system will be remounted suid so you won't have to go through this, and I think /system conversions don't end up in boot loops like /data and /dbdata.
    Credits
    Xcaliburinhand - without whom we'd all be on JJ4 and JI6. *shudder*
    SztupY - Steam recovery is the shiz.
    raspdeep, neldar, xan

I'll probably edit this a few more times as there will be things that I want to add but have slipped my mind for the moment.

Ok - I uploaded a copy of the Steam kernel here. It deserves its own thread and it will get one, just don't feel like doing it right now. Read through this post, realize there are some errors with filesystem conversion. Make sure you do backups, if you get into a boot loops, do a hard reset and reboot normally, you should be good. This is meant to be flashed via Neldar's SGS Kernel Flasher app, or something like Heimdall or Odin.
    4b5542f8-99f8-f865.jpg

HAPPY EASTER FORUM!