[APP][2.2+] Podcast Addict

Search This thread

bambou51

Jun 25, 2008
revesdegeek.fr

Podcast Addict
Version 1.9

pFQlOlvP7XFwsQnpajnjseORw1QTBXz3adiicZ8X4-7LwOCwMb38fZXRRQSi2ukom7U=w705

I just want to introduce you to my Podcast app available on the Google Play.
This is my 1st Android app and it's still incomplete but almost all of the basic features have been implemented.

If you watch or listen to French podcasts, you will find some of the best independant podcats embedded by default in the app.
If you do not, don't run away yet, because you can still use this app to manage all your podcasts.

Here are the main features:
• podcasts subscription
• podcasts search engine (thousands of podcasts available in different languages)
• OPML import file (iTunes, Google Reader, ...)
• new episodes notification
• automatic download
• streaming
• audio player with resume feature
• playlist support
• OPML export
• widget
• comments download feature
• episode & podcast sharing
• episode filters & search engine
• automatic episode deletion feature

Upcoming features:
• New UI optimized for tablets
• Podcast recommendation feature
• Download manager
• Internal video player

So feel free to test the app, and please, tell me what you think about it.
I know, some important features are missing, but they will soon be available ;)

Attachments

• PodcastAddict_Main.jpg
    PodcastAddict_Main.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 2,525
  • PodcastAddict_Player.jpg
    PodcastAddict_Player.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 2,284
  • PodcastAddict_Registration.jpg
    PodcastAddict_Registration.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 2,187
  • PodcastAddict_Episode.jpg
    PodcastAddict_Episode.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 2,015
Last edited:

el_bhm

Jan 25, 2011
What do you do when you listen to your podcast? What do you want to do most of the times when you are going back to the app?

Every. Single. Podcast. Player. Does the same ****ing thing wrong.

Go figure it out.

WingnutStrikesBack

Feb 25, 2010
A little bit more Holo design would be much more better. The glossy style of the bar on the top is not android like.

Also please disable the emulated menu button. The menu button must be in the Actionbar.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

bambou51

Jun 25, 2008
revesdegeek.fr
A little bit more Holo design would be much more better. The glossy style of the bar on the top is not android like.

Also please disable the emulated menu button. The menu button must be in the Actionbar.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Now that I'm almost having every basic feature implemented I will rethink the whole UI for the v2.0

Reactions: WingnutStrikesBack

ventz

Jun 11, 2007
vpetkov.net
Fantastic Podcast app! I hadn't looked for a good podcast app in a while, and I first went through and read a few sites that listed the "top 10 android podcast apps". I downloaded the top 4-5 and played with them. Eventually I realized they each have something that annoyed me too much. Usually, they were either too simple in attempts to have a clean/simple UI, or they were so complicated that it made navigation not enjoyable. I tried one out that had 4 tabbed screens of settings...

Eventually I found this one. This is the only one that I kept. I love the simple and straight forward UI and fantastic feature set. Perfect balance and no bloat. All the core features are there. The settings are simple and just make sense. The app is mostly intuitive in terms of flow - I would add a button for the subscription (using a Nexus S and having to go to options to view it was not intuitive at first). Another change, as some people have mentioned on the play store, is putting a back button -- although personally, I didn't even notice until I read the reviewsI only noticed it because a bunch of people complained about it. If you can, on the widget, please add the current time position and the max (end) time position. At last, ask people about the primary language and after that use only that language (ex of this: if you select English, when you search, there's still french under the titles)

Good luck with this app - you have created something fantastic! If you make a donation version count me in!!

bambou51

Jun 25, 2008
revesdegeek.fr
Fantastic Podcast app! I hadn't looked for a good podcast app in a while, and I first went through and read a few sites that listed the "top 10 android podcast apps". I downloaded the top 4-5 and played with them. Eventually I realized they each have something that annoyed me too much. Usually, they were either too simple in attempts to have a clean/simple UI, or they were so complicated that it made navigation not enjoyable. I tried one out that had 4 tabbed screens of settings...

Eventually I found this one. This is the only one that I kept. I love the simple and straight forward UI and fantastic feature set. Perfect balance and no bloat. All the core features are there. The settings are simple and just make sense. The app is mostly intuitive in terms of flow - I would add a button for the subscription (using a Nexus S and having to go to options to view it was not intuitive at first). Another change, as some people have mentioned on the play store, is putting a back button -- although personally, I didn't even notice until I read the reviewsI only noticed it because a bunch of people complained about it. If you can, on the widget, please add the current time position and the max (end) time position. At last, ask people about the primary language and after that use only that language (ex of this: if you select English, when you search, there's still french under the titles)

Good luck with this app - you have created something fantastic! If you make a donation version count me in!!

Thanks a lot for your comment!
I don't understand what the problem is with the back button. You can use Android back button to go back to the previous screen. You can also press the App icon in the ActionBar to go back to the main screen. If you understand what te problem is, please tell me.
I didn't add any progress bar on the widget to avoid draining the battery, I might add a 2nd widget with a progress bar, in a future release.
As for the french in the search engine, I didn't take the time to clean the podcasts translations in the database, but I will improve the search feature in the upcoming v2.0.

ventz

Jun 11, 2007
vpetkov.net
Thanks a lot for your comment!
I don't understand what the problem is with the back button. You can use Android back button to go back to the previous screen. You can also press the App icon in the ActionBar to go back to the main screen. If you understand what te problem is, please tell me..

I think I understand it now. So the complaint (from what I am gathering from the comments) is that people don't know that hitting that icon takes you home. But that actually makes perfect sense. Some people call that "going back" by the way. Maybe replacing it with a button that says "home" would do it. Or having an "info" screen when you first install the app that tells you it's a "home" button for the app. I don't know -- honestly, this just doesn't seem annoying

That's interesting about the progress on the widget. I didn't realize they burn the battery so much.

bambou51

Jun 25, 2008
revesdegeek.fr
I think I understand it now. So the complaint (from what I am gathering from the comments) is that people don't know that hitting that icon takes you home. But that actually makes perfect sense. Some people call that "going back" by the way. Maybe replacing it with a button that says "home" would do it. Or having an "info" screen when you first install the app that tells you it's a "home" button for the app. I don't know -- honestly, this just doesn't seem annoying

That's interesting about the progress on the widget. I didn't realize they burn the battery so much.

I'm already thinking about adding some kind of tutorial or tips section in the app.
Widget refresh will not drain your battery, but because it will need to refresh the progress status every second, it will still add some CPU charge

Reactions: ventz

ventz

Jun 11, 2007
vpetkov.net
Take a look, if you haven't already, at the Spotify app. You have the same clean design, and it's very similar (same player on the bottom that expands when selected). I think the only thing missing is making that top-left corner into something like what Spotify has done, which will present all the screen options (home, search, playlist, all, etc...)

Anyway, either way, good luck with this app. I really like it! :)

oldirtdog

Oct 3, 2008
PlayList Sort

Is there a way to sort the playlist? Here is my scenario:

I have a segmented podcast that is downloaded daily... there are 15+ segments that come per day... Ideally, I would want it to automatically download the latest podcasts and automatically add it to the playlist... I would need it to play the next day's podcasts but in the proper order... basically, day 1, segment 1, then segment 2, 3, etc until day 2, segment 1, 2, 3, etc... currently, it has the days correct but the segments are reversed...

Thanks for your help... I really like your app and would love to continue using it...

bambou51

Jun 25, 2008
revesdegeek.fr
Is there a way to sort the playlist? Here is my scenario:

I have a segmented podcast that is downloaded daily... there are 15+ segments that come per day... Ideally, I would want it to automatically download the latest podcasts and automatically add it to the playlist... I would need it to play the next day's podcasts but in the proper order... basically, day 1, segment 1, then segment 2, 3, etc until day 2, segment 1, 2, 3, etc... currently, it has the days correct but the segments are reversed...

Thanks for your help... I really like your app and would love to continue using it...

For now you can only reorder your playlist by drag and dropping your episodes. You can enable autodownload & auto queueing. Your episodes will then be added in the right order, but you might have other podcasts' episodes in the middle. In that case you will need to reorder manually your playlist.

tedricb

Oct 4, 2012
Subscription issue

First off, I really like your app -- it is by far my favorite of all the podcast apps I tried. I love the feature set, but I agree with previous comments that the UI could still use some work. I feel like it could be simplified -- currently there are a lot of different screens you can be on, and no easy way to switch between them or even to tell how the screen you're on relates to the other parts of the app. I'm using on a tablet, so a multi-pane view would be ideal for me (though obviously not for phone users).

OK, here's my issue: I'm trying to subscribe to two feeds from the same content producer. But every time I add the second feed, it replaces the first one -- and vice versa. The feeds are from the Skeptics' Guide To The Universe podcast -- they do their main show in one feed, and occasional mini-episodes in another feed. I would link to the xml files, but the forum won't let me. They're easy to find on the Skeptics' Guide website.

Is there some trick I can try to get both feeds to show up? Currently my subscriptions view shows one listing for "The Skeptics Guide", regardless of which feed I've just tried to add, and the episodes available correspond to the most recent feed added. I've also tried adding them both at the same time from the search page, but that didn't work either.

Thanks for any ideas or bug fixes you can provide, and for your continued work on the app! It's great!

bambou51

Jun 25, 2008
revesdegeek.fr
First off, I really like your app -- it is by far my favorite of all the podcast apps I tried. I love the feature set, but I agree with previous comments that the UI could still use some work. I feel like it could be simplified -- currently there are a lot of different screens you can be on, and no easy way to switch between them or even to tell how the screen you're on relates to the other parts of the app. I'm using on a tablet, so a multi-pane view would be ideal for me (though obviously not for phone users).

OK, here's my issue: I'm trying to subscribe to two feeds from the same content producer. But every time I add the second feed, it replaces the first one -- and vice versa. The feeds are from the Skeptics' Guide To The Universe podcast -- they do their main show in one feed, and occasional mini-episodes in another feed. I would link to the xml files, but the forum won't let me. They're easy to find on the Skeptics' Guide website.

Is there some trick I can try to get both feeds to show up? Currently my subscriptions view shows one listing for "The Skeptics Guide", regardless of which feed I've just tried to add, and the episodes available correspond to the most recent feed added. I've also tried adding them both at the same time from the search page, but that didn't work either.

Thanks for any ideas or bug fixes you can provide, and for your continued work on the app! It's great!

Hi,

Sorry for the late answer I didn't saw the notification.
I'm working on a new UI for the v2.0.
Regarding your feed problem, for now there's a restriction when 2 feeds share the same Podcast name...
I'll try to remove this restriction ASAP

Reactions: tedricb

fldavem

Nov 28, 2012
Great App - 2 questions

This podcast app is really well done. I'm used to the UI, it didn't take much, and I love the different choices available in the settings. I have two questions:
  1. Headset control
    I'm having an issue with my motorolla stereo bluetooth headset, where after a few times pressing pause to pause and resume, the internal player eventually does not accept commands from my bluetooth to pause. Pressing the buttons no longer works. Any suggestions? I do have the Headset Controls option checked.
  2. Removal of 'marked read'
    Although I've marked many of my podcasts as read (I have it download a news segment hourly but might not get to listen for a day and no longer need the old ones), they are not getting deleted. They're still in the app and the trash can is available. Do I not have one of the settings correct? I have the Automatic Deletion option checked.

bambou51

Jun 25, 2008
revesdegeek.fr
This podcast app is really well done. I'm used to the UI, it didn't take much, and I love the different choices available in the settings. I have two questions:
  1. Headset control
    I'm having an issue with my motorolla stereo bluetooth headset, where after a few times pressing pause to pause and resume, the internal player eventually does not accept commands from my bluetooth to pause. Pressing the buttons no longer works. Any suggestions? I do have the Headset Controls option checked.
  2. Removal of 'marked read'
    Although I've marked many of my podcasts as read (I have it download a news segment hourly but might not get to listen for a day and no longer need the old ones), they are not getting deleted. They're still in the app and the trash can is available. Do I not have one of the settings correct? I have the Automatic Deletion option checked.

Hi,

Right now there's no link between the downloaded file and the read status. So if you mark an episode read it will not delete the file.
You can delete it manually or you can delete every read episodes from the filter 'Downloaded episodes'. In the menu select the 'Delete read episodes' entry.
I will add a new pref to automatically delete an episode when it's mark read.
Regarding the issue with your BT headset is it a one time problem ? I don't have a BT headset to test it, but I'm using a 'wired' headset on a daily basis and the play/pause commands works great. I'll try to look into this problem but without some hardware to test I cant't promess anything ;)

dnh82

Oct 16, 2012
Notifications

First I would like to thank you for making such a great app. I tried a bunch of apps and this one was definitely the best. I have one piece of feedback about the notifications. It gives two boxes when podcasts update. One that says updates have been downloaded and another that says how many. I think the notification would be more useful if it showed one box with the app symbol then listed the podcasts downloaded. Thanks. David

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Podcast Addict
    Version 1.9

pFQlOlvP7XFwsQnpajnjseORw1QTBXz3adiicZ8X4-7LwOCwMb38fZXRRQSi2ukom7U=w705

I just want to introduce you to my Podcast app available on the Google Play.
    This is my 1st Android app and it's still incomplete but almost all of the basic features have been implemented.

If you watch or listen to French podcasts, you will find some of the best independant podcats embedded by default in the app.
    If you do not, don't run away yet, because you can still use this app to manage all your podcasts.

Here are the main features:
    • podcasts subscription
    • podcasts search engine (thousands of podcasts available in different languages)
    • OPML import file (iTunes, Google Reader, ...)
    • new episodes notification
    • automatic download
    • streaming
    • audio player with resume feature
    • playlist support
    • OPML export
    • widget
    • comments download feature
    • episode & podcast sharing
    • episode filters & search engine
    • automatic episode deletion feature

Upcoming features:
    • New UI optimized for tablets
    • Podcast recommendation feature
    • Download manager
    • Internal video player

So feel free to test the app, and please, tell me what you think about it.
    I know, some important features are missing, but they will soon be available ;)
    Hi,
    First of all, thanks for making this awesome app!

Second, with the last update, you've introduced a Tesla integration (Nova's "unread count"), which is nice.
    However, I have many subscriptions (a bit of an addict ;) ), some of which I listen to only selectively - or basically, I'll always have many "unreads" to some of which I don't really intend to listen.
    And I think it is not an uncommon usecase. Hence, constantly seeing "### unread episodes" is not really useful in such a case.

So, can you please make the "Tesla unread count" optional in the upcoming updates?

Thanks!
    I will disable this plugin by default in the next version and will add a setting to enable it.
    Please use Settings/Feedback rather than this website in case you have any question/feedback.
    Thanks
    I'm just explaining how it works. First of all, most users don't have this issue, I have seen maybe 5 users reporting it in the past 3 years and all of them where on CM.

Well, if you read my initial message, i *think* am also seeing this on stock Xperia firmware. I didn't unlock my bootloader to root the device, so i can't confirm. I will continue my tests and if i seem to have the constant wakelock again with the stock SONY firmware, would you consider investing more research on the matter ? Would e.g. an adb logcat help you or adb shell dumpsys power ? I tried to look at /proc/wakelocks but the names are pretty generic, i don't know podcast addict's one.

Are you 100% sure that the wakelock is released properly (i.e. you do call the release routine, but do you check with isHeld() right after your release that the lock is really gone ?). You may be able to find a way to mitigate a probable android bug (by e.g. calling release() twice). Could you maybe add some Error level logging specifically related to this (i.e. if isHeld() still returns True after release()) ?

I agree that the problem may reside in Android itelf, but how do you explain why this doesn't happen with Apollo or Youtube ? Did you compare the source code of Apollo with your own implementation of pause/resume ?

I also agree that the wakelock isn't directly reported to be caused by Podcast addict when looking into BBS (which concurs with the fact that it is a kernel-level unreleased wakelock and not userspace wakelock -- that you could explicitly release), but i found this by trial and error; click on the button with podcast addict, wakelock's here, so that's a stupid empirical approach. Pardon my stubborness, but it sounds like cause-and-effect here.

Last, based on the difficulty i had to find a proper wired headset -- with volume control -- on the market (compared to iPhone), maybe a relatively low amount of people are actually using this, hence the low amount of people complaining (just guessing there ?).

How many of you guys use a wired remote headset to listen to PodcastAddice (@bambou51, do you ?)
    Headset controls now work on ICS and JB (since v1.8.8)
    Yip, bump that. Constructive helpful feedback will assist the dev to make this a better app, me thinks? Instead of cryptic comments...:confused: