Guide Wifi Ad Hoc Working Samsung 10.1v

Search This thread

drnackers

Mar 1, 2008
Hi Guys,

I have just gotten Wifi Ad Hoc connection working in the Samsung 10.1v (don't see why it won't work on the 10.1 either)

You need to have adb installed and your Tablet needs to be rooted.

I used 2 threads as reference for making this work:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1069569

and
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1033314

As a newbie to this i will show you what i did, maybe someone can clean up the process with a simple approach:

You need to turn on Airplane mode to disable wifi, or you will get an error when trying to copy the wpa_supplicant file later on in the instructions...

I had trouble with the adb push command (shown in the above threads) so I did this instead.
Unzip and copy wpa_supplicant file (attached) to Tablet (I used downloads directory)

Get ES File Explorer from Market
Open ES File Explorer and in settings menu select Root options.
Set Root Explorer and use HiAPK
Then Tick Mount File System, then exit menu and navigate to /system/bin and copy wpa_supplicant to somewhere safe (I made backup directory in storage/ sd memory)
Now copy new wpa_supplicant file from where you saved it (downloads directory) to /system/bin

Now in windows command box type:
adb shell
# su
# mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
# chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
# chown system.wifi /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf
# exit

Now reboot and turn off airplane mode and enjoy.

Usual conditions if you follow this and something bad happens please don't blame me i used the above method (with trial and error) which worked for me (but maybe i just got lucky)
Also I want to acknowledge the hard working devs that pioneered the process and created the file - great work!!

Good luck...

Attachments

• wpa_supplicant_wifi_adhoc.zip
    161 KB · Views: 4,673

laoya

Mar 12, 2011
Sydney
Hi Guys,

I have just gotten Wifi Ad Hoc connection working in the Samsung 10.1v (don't see why it won't work on the 10.1 either)

and

As a newbie to this i will show you what i did, maybe someone can clean up the process with a simple approach:

You need to turn on Airplane mode to disable wifi, or you will get an error when trying to copy the wpa_supplicant file later on in the instructions...

I had trouble with the adb push command (shown in the above threads) so I did this instead.
Unzip and copy wpa_supplicant file (attached) to Tablet (I used downloads directory)

Then Tick Mount File System, then exit menu and navigate to /system/bin and copy wpa_supplicant to somewhere safe (I made backup directory in storage/ sd memory)
Now copy new wpa_supplicant file from where you saved it (downloads directory) to /system/bin

adb shell
# su
# exit

Usual conditions if you follow this and something bad happens please don't blame me i used the above method (with trial and error) which worked for me (but maybe i just got lucky)
Also I want to acknowledge the hard working devs that pioneered the process and created the file - great work!!

Good luck...

what about the usage of battery after install that wpa_supplicant.conf

Because i used to transfer a similar file like wpa_supplicant.conf to help my samsung Galaxy S i9000 to connect the adhoc WIFI. The usage of battery is horrible, I charged my phone whole night and there is no more battery remaining next morning:eek:

drnackers

Mar 1, 2008
I will keep you posted, but been using it on ad hoc for a couple of hours now and nothing out of the usual. Battery seems just same as on wifi.

I will leave it on overnight and report back tomorrow

Sent from my GT-P7100 using XDA App

drnackers

Mar 1, 2008
OK well it has been connected all night to Xperia x10 running barnacle no issues downloading through swarm bittorrent client.

Battery was 78% now at 58% so I would see this as acceptable.

Only 1 issue I have noticed, every time you connect to ad hoc it asks for password and adds it as new connection, so you end up with a few in the list but hold on old connections and 'forget' works fine

laoya

Mar 12, 2011
Sydney
OK well it has been connected all night to Xperia x10 running barnacle no issues downloading through swarm bittorrent client.

Battery was 78% now at 58% so I would see this as acceptable.

Only 1 issue I have noticed, every time you connect to ad hoc it asks for password and adds it as new connection, so you end up with a few in the list but hold on old connections and 'forget' works fine

woooo! Wonderful!:eek:

I had used the ad hoc wifi and knew that issue already. Anyway, thank you for remining!!
:cool:
Maybe something should do with the usage of battery, because there is 20% drop during the whole night.........

well, in that case, my cellphone cannot tolerate it:D

chesterchen

Feb 22, 2005
chesterchen.com
just installed the JuiceDefender app on my 10.1v.

before that, the wifi/3G standby overnight will consume about 10% of battery.

after installing it, and the night more, it went down by 4%.

2nd day of using it and battery life SEEMS better.

baggenismo

Feb 26, 2011
I cant seem to get it working right...
After following these steps my wifi drops every 10 seconds... It will see the adhoc though ;-D
I have to disable wifi and re-enable then it will auto join a network for another 10sec before it drops. any advice?

nick7920

Dec 28, 2007
I used adb and it worked "MAKE SURE THAT YOU LOCK THE PERMISSION with CHMOD 755 or it will not work"

put the tablet in airplane mode
I download the file put into C:\ of desk top
I had backup my original by using adb pull /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
these are commands and responses

>adb shell
root@android:/ # su
su
root@android:/ # mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
root@android:/ # chmod 777 /system
chmod 777 /system
root@android:/ # chmod 777 /system/bin
chmod 777 /system/bin
root@android:/ # chmod 777 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
chmod 777 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
root@android:/ # exit
exit
exit

>adb push c:\wpa_supplicant /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
1267 KB/s (295964 bytes in 0.228s)

>adb shell
su
root@android:/ # chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
root@android:/ # chmod 755 /system/bin
chmod 755 /system/bin
root@android:/ # chmod 755 /system
chmod 755 /system
exit
exit

Last edited:

makbil

Sep 4, 2008
Bodrum
Tried the flashable zip using cwm 4.0.0.4 but I keep getting installation not successful message. The installation starts, file is opened but the result is unsuccessful. Any suggestions?
10.1v /unlocked / rooted / cwm 4.0.0.4

Edit: Just saw the manual push method above. It will just be so much easier if the flashable version would work.

Last edited:

mattXdezzi

Jan 31, 2011
pushed to system/bin w/ root explorer and edited permissions with RE too.

works so far on my 10.1 retail rooted

blicht10069

Jun 18, 2010
I cant seem to get it working right...
After following these steps my wifi drops every 10 seconds... It will see the adhoc though ;-D
I have to disable wifi and re-enable then it will auto join a network for another 10sec before it drops. any advice?

I have exactly the same issue. I did this same procedure on my galaxy tab (the original 7" one) and it worked great. Replacing the wpa_supplicant file on my galaxy tab 10.1 has the connections work for 10 seconds and then drop. Incidently, I find this is true for all connections (ad-hoc and regular). Switching back to the original file fixes this. I've played around with the config file in /data/mis/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf and added ap_scan=1, but I've had no luck. I have the 16 GB retail version. My version also had a locked bootloader. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

makbil

Sep 4, 2008
Bodrum
I don't seem to have this problem of wi-fi disconnecting on my 10.1v. So far working perfectly with Connectify, even when the device has screen off, connection seems to persist - I did select never switch to mobile data from settings. I don't know how long it will stay connected though, haven't done a time test yet.

blicht10069

Jun 18, 2010
I don't seem to have this problem of wi-fi disconnecting on my 10.1v. So far working perfectly with Connectify, even when the device has screen off, connection seems to persist - I did select never switch to mobile data from settings. I don't know how long it will stay connected though, haven't done a time test yet.

My tablet is wifi only. Perhaps this is the issue. Has anyone gotten this to work who has a wifi only tablet (retail edition)?

makbil

Sep 4, 2008
Bodrum
Left the tablet aside for an hour. I unlocked the screen, and instantly opened the web browser. The connection was working. So maybe it does have something to do with 3G connection even though it is turned off. I am using Connectify (free version) on my notebook.

mattXdezzi

Jan 31, 2011
Just thought of something. I have juicedefender set to turn off 3g when my phones screen turns off. This could cut connectivity without dropping wifi signal. Will test theory tomorrow...

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 10.1 using Tapatalk.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Guys,

and

adb shell
    # su
    # exit

Good luck...
    Tidy up

I got this thing to work eventually, everything you need to know is in this thread but there is a lot of stuff you don't need to know too so I hope to get this right first time. This is, I hope the definitive how to create ad hoc capability on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 without any noob confusion. There is some cut and paste from the thread here so thanks to the original authors.
    Follow all these steps.

You will need;

1. a rooted SGT 10.1 - Do this by searching the forum for instructions. Do this first, then come back here and continue. [I do not know if or how it works on other devices - DON'T ASK]

2. ES File Explorer from the android Market

3. Download hacked the wpa_supplicant from this post to your SGT. [If you visit the page with your SGT, the file will download to 'home>download' on your device, if not, put it there yourself so it can be found later]

ONCE YOU HAVE ALL THOSE THINGS, CONTINUE...

4. Open ES File Explorer and in settings menu select Root options. - menu>settings> tick root explorer and mount file system - say yes to popup.

5. Click the home button to get to your SGT home screen, tap the battery/wifi indicator at the bottom right of the home screen, select settings>wireless and networks and tick flight mode to on. [You can reboot here, it won't hurt]

6. Make sure airplane mode is on then using ES File Explorer on your SGT, navigate to 'system/bin to find the file called wpa_supplicant, do a long press on this file and select rename, keep the name but add .bak or.old to it so it is now called wpa_supplicant.bak or wpa_supplicant.old

7. Using ES File Explorer on your SGT 10.1 navigate to home>download and find the wpa_supplicant_wifi_adhoc folder, click it once to open it, long press on the file called wpa_supplicant and select copy.

8. Using ES File Explorer on your SGT 10.1 navigate back to system/bin then long press on an empty part of the screen and select paste. You should now have two wpa_supplicant files, one called wpa_supplicant.bak or wpa_supplicant.old and one called wpa_supplicant which is now the hacked version.

9. The wpa_supplicant needs to have the correct permissions to work properly so tap it twice, [don't open it] then with the file highlighted tap the file menu [3 lines at the bottom of the screen] select operations>properties>change, there are 9 boxes, make sure there is a green tick in all of the read column, all of the write column and the top line in the execute column. Like this

X X X
    X X
    X X

Click OK twice. [You can reboot here]

10. From the SGT home screen tap the battery/wifi indicator at the bottom right of the home screen, select settings>wireless and networks and tick flight mode to off. Turn on your phone's wifi sharing and hopefully your SGT will find it.

That's it. This is how I did it and it works with my Nokia N8 using Joikuspot premium, it should work with the free version too. GOOD LUCK!
    I used adb and it worked "MAKE SURE THAT YOU LOCK THE PERMISSION with CHMOD 755 or it will not work"

put the tablet in airplane mode
    I download the file put into C:\ of desk top
    I had backup my original by using adb pull /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    these are commands and responses

>adb shell
    su
    root@android:/ # chmod 777 /system
    chmod 777 /system
    root@android:/ # chmod 777 /system/bin
    chmod 777 /system/bin
    root@android:/ # chmod 777 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    chmod 777 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    exit
    exit

>adb push c:\wpa_supplicant /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    1267 KB/s (295964 bytes in 0.228s)

>adb shell
    su
    root@android:/ # chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    root@android:/ # chmod 755 /system/bin
    chmod 755 /system/bin
    root@android:/ # chmod 755 /system
    chmod 755 /system
    exit
    exit
    Hi All,

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15096858&postcount=9

Well, I was looking in the wrong place. For people with 10.1 (non V) and WIFI only this link above links to the appropriate wpa_supplicant file to use for replacement. This works stabily on my tab.

Ben
    Dear, i am a noob here, maybe you guys could help me, i got a Galaxy Tab 10.1 but does not have 3G, i just want it to recognize AC-HOC WIFI... I allready rooted my Tab and copied the new wpa_supplicant on System/bin.. but the simple thing that i do not understand.. where do i write those commands?? Where is the windows box?? There is no box or file or command box that i can write those commands.. if you can do a video and upload it in youtube, i will be glad.. Thanks Very Much..

Buy Root Explorer from Market.
    Copy wpa_supplicant into your Tab root.
    Unplug your tab and turn the wifi off
    Run Root Explorer.
    Open sdcard folder. Find the wpa_supplicant where you put it.
    Press and hold the wpa_supplicant file then copy it.
    Hit Go back arrow then open system folder and open bin folder.
    Hit Mount R/W on the top. Then hit Paste button at the bottom
    Then hold the wpa_supplicant file to set permission 755 (open link below before set permission)
    then hit Mount R/W again
    reboot
    Turn the wifi on
    enjoy

File Permissions Calculator:
    http://www.classical-webdesigns.co.uk/resources/whatchmod.html