[How-To] Unlock the bootloader of xperia devices

Search This thread

mihahn

May 26, 2012
This is a tutorial on how to Unlock the bootloader of xperia devices.

First of all: This will void your warranty and only necessary to install custom kernels or custom roms. If someone told you to unlock the bootloader for rooting, you needn't do that. Just check out my rooting guide here. So let's go on - and - read everything carefully!!!!

I accept no responsibility for any damage of your phone or pc! You do all this on your own risk!
It will void your warranty and you will loose DRM, so you can't use trackid anymore. You mustn't do updates over the air, otherwise your phone will brick!!! You won't be able to update phone via pc companion or sony update service anymore, you will have to flash the rom via flashtool!

Unlocking the bootloader will wipe your /data partition. So please save your personal data before unlocking!

First you check, if your bootloader is unlockable. For that you have to be on stock sony rom. You type: *#*#7378423#*#*
Now you are in the service menu. Go to "Service info" -> Configuration and look at the bootloader status.
If Rooting Status -> Bootloader unlock allowed: yes, you can go on :)

attachment.php

1. Manually like on sony's homepage

2. Automatic with the SE Bootloader Unlocking Tool by quangnhut123

3. Testpoint Method

1. Manually

For this you need the following tools/files/etc:

- Android SDK from here
- Modified android_winusb.inf-file from here
- Fastboot.exe (Just search for it on google for example)

So let's start:

Go here and click yes. After that type in your IMEI. Go to your phone and type *#06#* and you will see your IMEI. Now go back to your browser, type in your Name, Email-adress and your IMEI and click submit.
LEAVE THE WINODW OPEN, IT WILL PROMPT YOUR UNLOCK CODE. Write it down on a piece of paper and lets go on.

Now we will set up android sdk. You install it to the directory you want and start it.

attachment.php

Check your Android Version, the Tools, and from extras the google usb driver and install them.

Now you go to the installation folder and open tools

attachment.php

and paste the fastboot.exe there:

attachment.php

Now you go back to the installation folder and open extras > google. There you paste the modified android_winusb.inf

attachment.php

Now we have everything set up and can go on the phone :good:
Turn off your phone and hold the unlock button (usually the volume up button) and connect to pc. The blue led will light up.

Go on the pc and your pc will ask you for drivers. Point to the android_winusb.inf-file and your phone will be recognized. If not, download flashtool from here and install it. You go to the installation folder and open drivers and install all the drivers provided.

Now we open a command window from windows and go to the installation folder of the android sdk. Then we go in the tools folder. Use the following commands to navigate:
cd .. = one folder up
cd foldername = open folder
dir = show content of the folder

attachment.php

And we can see the fastboot.exe in the tools folder:

attachment.php

Now the unlock process begins, make sure the phone is charged (over 20% is a must have, better fully) ;)

We type in the command window:

fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version

and if we get a value like 0.3 the phone is connected and responsing.

attachment.php

The next step unlocks the bootloader :)

To unlock your bootloader now enter the following code:
fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY

Watch Out: You have to change KEY to the key you got earlier!

attachment.php

If everything goes well, you have an unlocked bootloader now! Congratulations :)

Now we are able to flash a custom kernel/rom, so check this out to know how to install the new kernel/rom ;)

This tutorial is based on the tutorial from sony. I don't own any files and if sony doesn't like me to do this tutorial, please let me know and I will delete this topic!

Attachments

• SDK_1.JPG
    SDK_1.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 77,896
  • tools.JPG
    tools.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 77,565
  • usb.JPG
    usb.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 77,456
  • tools_cmd.JPG
    tools_cmd.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 76,924
  • unlock_cmd_key.JPG
    unlock_cmd_key.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 76,722
Last edited:

mihahn

May 26, 2012
2. Automatically with the SE Bootloader Unlocking Tool by quangnhut123

For that you go to this thread and hit thanks. After that download the tool.

Remember, unlocking the bootloader will void warranty! After unlocking bootloader, never try to update ota (=over the air)! PC Companion and SEUS won't recognize your phone after the following steps!
Make sure your pc is connected to the internet, to get the unlock code from sony website. You will lose DRM like in the other tutorial!

If you want to unlock now, follow these steps:

1. Extract "SE Bootloader_Unlocking_Relocking_1.6.rar" and you'll find out "Flashtool-drivers.exe", run it to install. Check all drivers/phones, just to be sure all drivers are installed

2. Go to phone an input on the dial pad *#06#* to promt your IMEI.

3. Open the unlocking tool and in the first text field input the first 14 digits of your IMEI.

4. Press the Get Unlock Code button. Your unlock code will automatically appear in the Unlock Code Box.

5. Now turn off the phone, hold Volume Up and while pressing it you connect the USB cable to the computer. The blue led should appear, which means you are in fastboot mode to unlock bootloader.

6. Click the Unlock BL button. The program will automatically unlock your bootloader!

That's it, this is easier for newbie's, but remeber, it voids warranty! And do it on your own risk!

3. Testpoint method
If you don't want to void your warranty (okay you do, but you can relock your bootloader and with some luck sony won't notice it's been opened, so you still have your warranty ;)) you can use the testpoint method.

You have to mess around with the hardware. This sounds strange, right?
But it isn't even hard. Just read this great tutorial by DragonClawsAreSharp!

But note: This method will only work if your device was produced before building number 12w11 (as far as I know). You can check this number on the sticker under the battery :)

If you want to install a custom rom/kernel now, just go here for a guide ;)

Last edited:

mihahn

May 26, 2012
hi
in Bootloader unlock allowed i have No
what can i do?

If bootloader unlock allowed:no you can't unlock it like this. Maybe you have a netlock or simlock?
Then you can just unlock using a paid method, for example wotan server, but that's more complicated and I can't promise that it works, because fastboot is disabled then :(

Reactions: aziz27

Midomad

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Salé
Google Pixel 5a
If bootloader unlock allowed:no you can't unlock it like this. Maybe you have a netlock or simlock?
Then you can just unlock using a paid method, for example wotan server, but that's more complicated and I can't promise that it works, because fastboot is disabled then :(
so if i desimlock my phone i can unlock bootloader?

mihahn

May 26, 2012
can u give the rom that can flash with lock bootloader?

There aren't so many, look in development section there's a thread with all roms listed. Open some roms and you will see on their thread if they are for locked bootloader ;)

For example on ics there is MiniCMSandwich or Realics lite and some MIUI roms. There sould be roms for gingerbread, too, just look in development please :good:

priendy

Sep 13, 2012
Jakarta
reupload please

hey can you reupload se bootloader unlocking for xperia 2011 ?? cause the link by quangnhut123 is dead

ardian1899

Oct 26, 2012
Nice tutorial.
And why don't you add test point tutorial also? while it may looks tricky, I was using it with ease..

garychencool

Oct 7, 2011
So my phone says No to bootloader unlock allowed. What do I do now? Does this mean I cannot unlock to bootloader no matter what?

mihahn

May 26, 2012
So my phone says No to bootloader unlock allowed. What do I do now? Does this mean I cannot unlock to bootloader no matter what?

Yes this means you can't, but have you got a simlock? Cause if yes you must unlock the simlock (for example with wotan server which costs some money or maybe your provider could do it) and with much luck you can unlock after that. :good:

Try first if you can go in fastboot mode, so set everything up, android-sdk and all the drivers, the winusb file etc, and connect your phone when it's off with pressed volume up key to pc. If the blue led lights up, you should be able to unlock the simlock and after that you could unlock the bootloader.

But I'm not sure, some people told us, that the unlocking of the simlock doesn't change anything for them...

mihahn

May 26, 2012
Hope the day will come that for new phones like my ST15i can unlock without loosing DRM

I don't think there'll be a way, but for what do you need DRM? You don't loose features...

when type in this code nothing happens?

So you type
Code:
and nothing happens (of course you replace KEY with your unlock code)? Have you set everything up and phone is already plugged in the computer (and it's in fastboot mode)?

What a value do you get if you type
Code:
?

Maybe your bootloader is already unlocked. Please just start flashtool (if you haven't got it yet download it from development section) and if it has started connect phone in fastboot mode (shut down, hold volume up, connect to pc). Please post the log here (Please as a code!) ;)

Last edited:

joejacob4u

Nov 9, 2012
My phone wont turn on!!!!Ray

Ok, I flashed the fxp145 kernel and unlocked the kernel. It did boot into cam but it gave me an error saying sector 7 so I gave it another shot after removing the battery, but that didnt happen,it didnt boot up and neither is it showing charger status on led. But, there is warmth on the battery. i charged the battery for five hours straight, and now it blinks red when i push the powre button, but it wont still wont turn on. Is there anything i can do?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a tutorial on how to Unlock the bootloader of xperia devices.

First of all: This will void your warranty and only necessary to install custom kernels or custom roms. If someone told you to unlock the bootloader for rooting, you needn't do that. Just check out my rooting guide here. So let's go on - and - read everything carefully!!!!

I accept no responsibility for any damage of your phone or pc! You do all this on your own risk!
    It will void your warranty and you will loose DRM, so you can't use trackid anymore. You mustn't do updates over the air, otherwise your phone will brick!!! You won't be able to update phone via pc companion or sony update service anymore, you will have to flash the rom via flashtool!

Unlocking the bootloader will wipe your /data partition. So please save your personal data before unlocking!

First you check, if your bootloader is unlockable. For that you have to be on stock sony rom. You type: *#*#7378423#*#*
    Now you are in the service menu. Go to "Service info" -> Configuration and look at the bootloader status.
    If Rooting Status -> Bootloader unlock allowed: yes, you can go on :)

attachment.php

1. Manually like on sony's homepage

2. Automatic with the SE Bootloader Unlocking Tool by quangnhut123

3. Testpoint Method

1. Manually

For this you need the following tools/files/etc:

- Android SDK from here
    - Modified android_winusb.inf-file from here
    - Fastboot.exe (Just search for it on google for example)

So let's start:

Go here and click yes. After that type in your IMEI. Go to your phone and type *#06#* and you will see your IMEI. Now go back to your browser, type in your Name, Email-adress and your IMEI and click submit.
    LEAVE THE WINODW OPEN, IT WILL PROMPT YOUR UNLOCK CODE. Write it down on a piece of paper and lets go on.

Now we will set up android sdk. You install it to the directory you want and start it.

attachment.php

Check your Android Version, the Tools, and from extras the google usb driver and install them.

Now you go to the installation folder and open tools

attachment.php

and paste the fastboot.exe there:

attachment.php

Now you go back to the installation folder and open extras > google. There you paste the modified android_winusb.inf

attachment.php

Now we have everything set up and can go on the phone :good:
    Turn off your phone and hold the unlock button (usually the volume up button) and connect to pc. The blue led will light up.

Go on the pc and your pc will ask you for drivers. Point to the android_winusb.inf-file and your phone will be recognized. If not, download flashtool from here and install it. You go to the installation folder and open drivers and install all the drivers provided.

Now we open a command window from windows and go to the installation folder of the android sdk. Then we go in the tools folder. Use the following commands to navigate:
    cd .. = one folder up
    cd foldername = open folder
    dir = show content of the folder

attachment.php

And we can see the fastboot.exe in the tools folder:

attachment.php

Now the unlock process begins, make sure the phone is charged (over 20% is a must have, better fully) ;)

We type in the command window:

and if we get a value like 0.3 the phone is connected and responsing.

attachment.php

The next step unlocks the bootloader :)

To unlock your bootloader now enter the following code:

Watch Out: You have to change KEY to the key you got earlier!

attachment.php

If everything goes well, you have an unlocked bootloader now! Congratulations :)

Now we are able to flash a custom kernel/rom, so check this out to know how to install the new kernel/rom ;)

This tutorial is based on the tutorial from sony. I don't own any files and if sony doesn't like me to do this tutorial, please let me know and I will delete this topic!
    2. Automatically with the SE Bootloader Unlocking Tool by quangnhut123

For that you go to this thread and hit thanks. After that download the tool.

Remember, unlocking the bootloader will void warranty! After unlocking bootloader, never try to update ota (=over the air)! PC Companion and SEUS won't recognize your phone after the following steps!
    Make sure your pc is connected to the internet, to get the unlock code from sony website. You will lose DRM like in the other tutorial!

If you want to unlock now, follow these steps:

1. Extract "SE Bootloader_Unlocking_Relocking_1.6.rar" and you'll find out "Flashtool-drivers.exe", run it to install. Check all drivers/phones, just to be sure all drivers are installed

2. Go to phone an input on the dial pad *#06#* to promt your IMEI.

3. Open the unlocking tool and in the first text field input the first 14 digits of your IMEI.

4. Press the Get Unlock Code button. Your unlock code will automatically appear in the Unlock Code Box.

5. Now turn off the phone, hold Volume Up and while pressing it you connect the USB cable to the computer. The blue led should appear, which means you are in fastboot mode to unlock bootloader.

6. Click the Unlock BL button. The program will automatically unlock your bootloader!

That's it, this is easier for newbie's, but remeber, it voids warranty! And do it on your own risk!

3. Testpoint method
    If you don't want to void your warranty (okay you do, but you can relock your bootloader and with some luck sony won't notice it's been opened, so you still have your warranty ;)) you can use the testpoint method.

You have to mess around with the hardware. This sounds strange, right?
    But it isn't even hard. Just read this great tutorial by DragonClawsAreSharp!

But note: This method will only work if your device was produced before building number 12w11 (as far as I know). You can check this number on the sticker under the battery :)

If you want to install a custom rom/kernel now, just go here for a guide ;)
    could you add this in op? its the link to download fastboot
    AW: [How-To] Unlock the bootloader of 2011 xperia devices

Hello Good day!
    just wanna ask, i'm trying to unlock my BL, my phone is XPERIA MINI.
    it is rooted, ICS, with custom ROM WALKMAN STYLE v4.0.

can i go through unlock process with this settings or i need to flash stock firmware first.

THANKS in ADVANCE! more POWER!

It should work, but maybe the unlocking process will do a factory reset. I would recommend to make a backup in cwm, flash the stock rom, unlock the bootloader, flash a custom kernel (prerooted+cwm) and restore the backup ;)

Sent from my SK17i running Android 4.1.2
    Ur awesome man!!! Though I lost all my apps and the mobile was completely reset but I finally sucessfully unlocked my bl :)

Okay for any questions just ask :)