[SOLVED] Boot loop with no Recovery or ROM - Help!

Search This thread

CPS01

Jan 7, 2014
Hi all, my first post so please be gentle.

I have managed to get my HTC One in a bit of a mess. A while ago I rooted it and installed CWMT and an Android revolution ROM. All worked well.

I then decided that I wanted to upgrade to a new ROM (4.4 Viper One) and also wanted to remove CWMT and install TWRP as I read that TWRP officially supports HTC one whereas CWMT doesn't. I also read (I think) that the latest TWRP was required for flashing the 4.4 rom I wanted.

I then very stupidly had a brain fail and tried to install the 4.4 Viper ROM via CWMT without being S-OFF. The Viper install started and data was wiped, then the install failed.

Now the phone just boots to the bootloader. If I select recovery I see a very brief CWMT screen then the phone reboots to bootloader. I am OK using the SDK and fastboot etc, so I flashed TWRP (I was told the flash was successful) and rebooted. It rebooted to bootloader, so i tried to enter recovery and got a brief TWRP splashscreen then and my phone rebooted. I do not think that my phone now has a ROM installed and I have no recovery I can boot to.

If I understand correctly the best way out of my situation is to flash the correct RUU for my phone, but I am having trouble locating the correct one. I have found some via HTC One Guru and think the correct one for me is:

File Size: 1.1 GiB - Downloads: 690
MD5: 81bda125ec09b57255024526b1952ca5
Comments: Stock Vodafone UK ROM 2.24.161.1 with graphical aroma installer. Includes the ability to flash the Stock Recovery and also Stock Radio.
OTA Updates, when available.

modelid: PN0710000
cidnum: VODAP001
cidnum: VODAP102
cidnum: VODAPE17
cidnum: VODAP405
cidnum: VODAP304
cidnum: VODAPD18
cidnum: VODAP120
cidnum: VODAP110

The model ID above matches mine ie HTC_001 and I am on VOD carrier. I cannot remember my CIDNUM as I am at work but can check later.

My question (s) to you very helpful people are:

Am I taking the correct approach for fixing my phone? I think I need to get the correct RUU zip for me, then flash it using fastboot USB. This should then take me back to a stock rom and recovery and I can then flash a newer recovery and install a new ROM (i now understand S-OFF and TWRP will be required for 4.4 roms)

I would really appreciate it if someone could let me know if my thought process is correct and I am trying to do things in the correct order. Also, if someone could confirm what the correct RUU is for me it would be appreciated. It will need to be flashed via Fastboot so I guess will need to be the .zip as opposed to the .exe?

If any other info is required from me to identify the correct RUU please let me know and i can post the data a little later whern I am home.

I feel I am quite close to understanding what I need to do and would like to learn how to do this for myself, I just would like someone to confirm I'm going the right way, and to point out any important points I may have missed.

Thankyou VERY much!!

Chris

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut

Chris

Didnt read all of it, but stuck at "entering recovery", is fixed by a "fastboot erase cache"
as for TWRP, did you download from
http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7
or
http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7ul

and you didn't check MD5, right? download managers don't work on that site, and you probably got a bad download, so download again, verify MD5 (eg http://www.winmd5.com/ or any other tool), and if it verifies correctly, then

fastboot flash recovery <name of recovery>.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot-bootloader

and then you can enter recovery.

EDIT: and S-Off is only required for 4.4 GPE ROMs; Sense ROMs should be fine

Last edited:
Reactions: CPS01

CPS01

Jan 7, 2014
Thanks for the reply!

Maybe my issue is easier solved than I thought. Maybe all I need to do is "fastboot erase cache" and flash recovery.

My TWRP came from the teamw.in site (can't post link) and you are right when you state that I didn't check the MD5 so thanks for that point, and also thanks re the point re S-OFF and certain ROMs..I didn't know that.

I'll try erase cache etc..when I get home and update.

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
Thanks for the reply!

Maybe my issue is easier solved than I thought. Maybe all I need to do is "fastboot erase cache" and flash recovery.

My TWRP came from the teamw.in site (can't post link) and you are right when you state that I didn't check the MD5 so thanks for that point, and also thanks re the point re S-OFF and certain ROMs..I didn't know that.

still for 4.4 (GPE or Sense) you'll need TWRP 2.6.3.3 or .4, CWM is not (fully) compatible yet.
download one from above links (avoid download managers!!) and make sure MD5 matches, then flash recovery as stated above, and you should be good to go.

Reactions: CPS01

CPS01

Jan 7, 2014
OK I'm good now :D:D

I successfully flashed a recovery and installed a ROM via ADB sideload. I initially flashed TWRP but it asked me for a password (?), so I re-flashed CWMT and went through the sideload process.

Thanks very much for the help and support..it is very much appreciated. This site is an awesome resource and I would have been lost without it.

Thanks again!

:good::good::good:

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
OK I'm good now :D:D

I successfully flashed a recovery and installed a ROM via ADB sideload. I initially flashed TWRP but it asked me for a password (?), so I re-flashed CWMT and went through the sideload process.

Thanks very much for the help and support..it is very much appreciated. This site is an awesome resource and I would have been lost without it.

Thanks again!

:good::good::good:

TWRP password?? i personally haven't seen it, but one guy just pressed "cancel" and it worked just fine afterwards.

glad all ok now, if you get a chance, just edit main thread title to include [SOLVED], thanks

CPS01

Jan 7, 2014
[SOLVED][Q] Boot loop with no Recovery or ROM - Help!

OK, thread should shows as solved. Thanks

Edit: I can't work out how to edit the thread title. If a friendly Moderator could update this to solved i would appreciate it. Thanks,

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Chris

Didnt read all of it, but stuck at "entering recovery", is fixed by a "fastboot erase cache"
    as for TWRP, did you download from
    http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7
    or
    http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7ul

and you didn't check MD5, right? download managers don't work on that site, and you probably got a bad download, so download again, verify MD5 (eg http://www.winmd5.com/ or any other tool), and if it verifies correctly, then

fastboot flash recovery <name of recovery>.img
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot reboot-bootloader

and then you can enter recovery.

EDIT: and S-Off is only required for 4.4 GPE ROMs; Sense ROMs should be fine
    Thanks for the reply!

still for 4.4 (GPE or Sense) you'll need TWRP 2.6.3.3 or .4, CWM is not (fully) compatible yet.
    download one from above links (avoid download managers!!) and make sure MD5 matches, then flash recovery as stated above, and you should be good to go.