[Q] Used the wrong method

Search This thread

viniosity

Dec 28, 2009
I just bought a new nook simple touch and had assumed it would come with version 1.2.1 so I followed the instructions from this article on MakeUseOf.

As it turns out my Nook was on 1.1.0. Rooting seemed to go fine but I don't seem to have multi-touch. I haven't tried the 174 or 176 kernel instead taking the recommendation and using the one that jptiger put together in this thread.

So my question is: did I screw this up by not upgrading to 1.2.1 first? If I go to settings it still shows the software version as 1.1.0 even though I've rooted. How can I ensure I've got the latest/greatest kernel?

EDIT: Ok, I upgraded to 1.2.1 and then rooted again. Multi-touch still doesn't seem to work for me. Did I miss something?

Last edited:

viniosity

Dec 28, 2009
Do you have the right kernel? (I've lost track of them.)

Did you modify /system/etc/permissions/required_hardware.xml:
Code:
    <feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen" />
    [b]<feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch" />[/b]

I do have both those lines in my required_hardware.xml file. As for the kernel, I read on another forum that this was the latest/greatest.. if there's another recommendation I would love to have it!

Thank you!

viniosity

Dec 28, 2009
Hmm.. I wonder if it actually works but it's not supported in the default browser app or Opera Mobile. Possible?

viniosity

Dec 28, 2009
I installed your app and when I touch the screen two places I see that it's captured and two sets of coordinates show up.

But when I use an app like reddit is fun I can't zoom in on images or anything although this works with the same app on the my Nexus 4.

It's obviously not critical but it's confusing me as to why it registers in your app and yet I can't seem to use the functionality. Bad choice of kernel?

viniosity

Dec 28, 2009
UsbMode is just showing what should be available to any app.
Are you certain that the exact same apk is running on both devices?
I don't know that application at all.

Most likely different versions of the same app. Also it turns out I had Opera Mini installed instead of Opera Classic. The latter supports multi-touch zooming just fine so it's definitely an app level issue. Mystery solved - thanks for the guidance!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes, that's possible.

Load UsbMode.apk from the signature.
    Among the things it does, it shows you touches.
    Just touch anywhere that isn't buttons.
    (On my cell phone, it will show that it tracks 5).