Boot UrukDroid from openAOS BootMenu

Search This thread

Orochimarufan

Apr 30, 2011
Some PPL on the development forums were asking how to boot $auron's UrukDroid out of bubu's openAOS Boot Menu. Since i can't post there yet, i'll post here.

I looked at bubu's initramfs/init script and it should be fairly easy to boot any partition as well as any rootfs.img.
the menu.lst syntax is:
Code:
{NAME(has to be unique)}|{DEVICE(leave blank for img)}|{IMG}|{INIT}
A special thing is putting 'ARCHOS' into {DEVICE}, because that will boot from ARCHOS' stock SQUASHFS file
so adding this line to menu.txt should let you boot UrukDroid from sdcard
Code:
UrukDoid|/dev/mmcblk2p2||/sbin/init

I have to add, i havn't tried it myself yet, because i haven't put bubu's loader on my A70IT yet.
I would really appreciate you letting me know if it works!

Greetings Oro

Reactions: Lenn

Lenn

Jan 14, 2011
Lippstadt
Some PPL on the development forums were asking how to boot $auron's UrukDroid out of bubu's openAOS Boot Menu. Since i can't post there yet, i'll post here.

I looked at bubu's initramfs/init script and it should be fairly easy to boot any partition as well as any rootfs.img.
the menu.lst syntax is:
Code:
A special thing is putting 'ARCHOS' into {DEVICE}, because that will boot from ARCHOS' stock SQUASHFS file
Code:

I have to add, i havn't tried it myself yet, because i haven't put bubu's loader on my A70IT yet.

Greetings Oro
First:
Thanks for your work:)
Would this also work, with on internal installed urukdroid?;)

Orochimarufan

Apr 30, 2011
You would have to get the device name of your root partition
since mine is a sdcard install i can only provide that information.
but if you can boot into uruk right now you can do the following to get the device node:
Open any terminal emulator and type:
Code:
cat /etc/mtab
then search for
Code:
<device> / <fstype> rw,noatime,barrier=1,nodealloc,....
in my case that is:
Code:
/dev/mmcblk2p2 / ext4 ....
take the first one (<device>) and put it into the menu.lst line:
Code:
UrukDroid|<device>||/sbin/init

still i haven't tested any of this. it's just the result of my looking at the bootloader's init script

Greetings oro

Lenn

Jan 14, 2011
Lippstadt
but if you can boot into uruk right now you can do the following to get the device node

I cant:D i installed the openaos boot menu, so urukdroid is gone...:(
I really want to have uruk again, i hate the stock firmware:D

I know these steps, but is there no way to compile a *.img from uruk?...
i compiled one but these dont worked...:(

Orochimarufan

Apr 30, 2011
first of all IMO putting Uruk into an image file would be stupid,
second you'd have to either find a way to run the installer on your computer, or ask $auron what exactly it does and put a working rootfs togehter manually or dump an existing thing
your best bet would be to boot openAOS and dd Uruk's Root Partition into some img file. But since you don't know which yout Uruk Root is and i don't either, only thing left would be to ask $auron where he installs it. and if you know that, you can use my method just as well

greetings

Orochimarufan

Apr 30, 2011
Nope
if you've got the device node of yout Uruk root you should be able to put it into that menu.lst lint i showed you where <device> is.

Just to mention it, I don't know if $auron provides a working live-initramfs, but if he does you should be able to simply flash that through the sde recovery menu.
by live-initramfs i mean one, that doesn't launch EasyInstall but run UrukDroid directly.

greetings

Lenn

Jan 14, 2011
Lippstadt
Nope
if you've got the device node of yout Uruk root you should be able to put it into that menu.lst lint i showed you where <device> is.
Yeah, i understand that.. but how do i install uruk?...
sorry i dont understand:D
Just to mention it, I don't know if $auron provides a working live-initramfs, but if he does you should be able to simply flash that through the sde recovery menu.
by live-initramfs i mean one, that doesn't launch EasyInstall but run UrukDroid directly.

greetings

i aksed sauron per pm:)

Orochimarufan

Apr 30, 2011
Hmm.. how do i explain.

It's like this:
the device node is like a link to the partition.
If you put Uruk on a Partition, you have to tell the bootloader which partition is the right one, the one with Uruk on it.
The bootloader then searches for an init-file there and executes it

so bubu's menu is the bootloader in this case, so you tell him where he has to search for Uruk by putting the right device node into the menu.lst.

hope you understand it a little better now ;)

greetings

Lenn

Jan 14, 2011
Lippstadt
Hmm.. how do i explain.

It's like this:
the device node is like a link to the partition.
If you put Uruk on a Partition, you have to tell the bootloader which partition is the right one, the one with Uruk on it.
The bootloader then searches for an init-file there and executes it
Yes, so first i have to install Urukdroid, because if i dont, bootloader doesnt find anything:D or not?
so bubu's menu is the bootloader in this case, so you tell him where he has to search for Uruk by putting the right device node into the menu.lst.

hope you understand it a little better now ;)
Yep, thanks:)
I´m still a bit new in booting:D

Orochimarufan

Apr 30, 2011
Nope, because you installed it already.
You said you had an existing installation on your internal memory, didn`t you?
You just have to find out where it is. And tell that information to the bootloader.

Greetings

TapaTalk on A70IT here -- who's there?

Lenn

Jan 14, 2011
Lippstadt
Nope, because you installed it already.
You said you had an existing installation on your internal memory, didn`t you?
You just have to find out where it is. And tell that information to the bootloader.

I had have a Urukdroid installation, before i installed the boot menu i completly wiped my archos:) for a completly frsh install

Orochimarufan

Apr 30, 2011
Okay then youre right. If there's nothing he obviousli cant execute anything.
So if yuo installed it again, would you be kind enough and report back the device node?

Greetings

Lenn

Jan 14, 2011
Lippstadt
Okay then youre right. If there's nothing he obviousli cant execute anything.
So if yuo installed it again, would you be kind enough and report back the device node?

Greetings

Yep, but i dont do it today, its getting late:D:) (school)
I`ll do it tomorrow, thanks for your help!:);)

Orochimarufan

Apr 30, 2011
Yeah youre right and i've to go to school tomorrow too... an a friend of mine is goong to write her final exams in english... guess i'm going to have more than just this problem tomorrow :(
Just so you know, we'll visit some relatives this weekend, so i wont be here then.

Greetings

Lenn

Jan 14, 2011
Lippstadt
Yeah youre right and i've to go to school tomorrow too... an a friend of mine is goong to write her final exams in english... guess i'm going to have more than just this problem tomorrow :(
Just so you know, we'll visit some relatives this weekend, so i wont be here then.

Greetings

Okey, i'll try it and i'll see:)
another question: any idea how to get the menu booting instead of normal archos android?:)
(Sde instead of archos, like sauron did at urukdroid)

Orochimarufan

Apr 30, 2011
What exactly do you mean?
Like switching between custom and stock?
That'd be for hold voldown while the archos bootscreen shows up and selecting SDE or Android.
And the SDE entry will launch whatever you put there through the SDE recovery Menu

Greetings

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Once I figure out the rest of the issues.

Does anyone know which module is for the touchscreen? I figured I'd try reverting to the one from Uruk, but I can't figure out which one is it, or if it's in the kernel...

Damned, would try this also. Please give your setting.

Try following (can't test if it has to be Y or N)

echo N >/sys/module/hid_hanvon/parameters/rotate180
    echo N >/sys/module/mma7660fc/parameters/rotate180
    Hi

The problem is that urukdroid is using an old SGX DDK and I'm using an updated version (which also works with archos latest firmware)...

But I've added initial support into my latest multiboot stuff which is available now...

but you need to do the following:

get http://gitorious.org/openaos-cyanogenmod/vendor_archos_gen8/blobs/raw/master/archos.inc and copy at root of your urukdroid, and get latest modules.tar.bz2 which are at same place as initramfs/zImage on my download space, and extract to lib/modules onto your urukdroid... (you may have to rename old 2.6.29-omap1 dir)

Note that this may break your urukdroid if u don't want to use my multiboot stuff... so do it at your own risks...

There is also probably things in urukdroid which can not work... (ie: compcache as I already activated compcache with 40MB in my multiboot stuff... that way any OS can use this without any changes)... for timebeing this feature can't be disabled... if there are too many issues I will provide a way to disable it or not...

Beside this I still needs contributors, patches, or whatever should make cyanogenmod port better...

Thx

Edit1: you can use new urukdroid.img u create from scratch (untaring urukdroid tarbals) or an ext4 partition
    Edit2: you may have to disable huge_file on your ext4 partition/file using tune2fs -O ^huge_file yourfile.img or /dev/yourpartition

Okay, quick instruction tutorial for the A101it. Flash the latest init/zimage from bubu's server, then follow his instructions I quoted above to copy his modules to your uruk partition. I connected to my pc in the Recovery Menu to do this. Additionally, edit the init.rc on your Uruk partition. Search for the line that has "mount blah blah blah /data" and uncomment it, then change the "blah blah" to your uruk data partition. I'm running from internal storage, so it's /dev/mmcblk1p3. If you're on the SDcard, that's /dev/mmcblk2p3. Then add a line at the top, above the commented "Display Boot Logo" line:
    Code:
    exec /system/bin/flip.sh

Now make a new file in /system/bin/ called flip.sh, make it executable with "chmod +x flip.sh" and add the following lines inside the file:
    Code:

Edit the menu.lst on the sdcard and add the following line:
    Code:
    UrukDroid|/dev/mmcblk1p2|/rootfs.img|/init|0
    (Change mmcblk1p2 to mmcblk2p2 if you are using the SDcard for Uruk)

Now just choose UrukDroid from the boot menu, and everything should be working. I still have frequent soft-reboots, but that's part of the Stock firmware and Uruk's firmware, so it's unrelated. I should probably switch back to 1.0b3 at some point. ;)

the menu.lst syntax is:
    Code:
    Code:

Greetings Oro
    Got Uruk running on the openAOS menu! Very sweet... I'm running from mmcblk1p2, and I added a line in the Urukdroid rootfs /init to mount my data partition from mmcblk1p3. Not technically sure if it was necessary, but I know $auron mounts the /data partition in the initramfs, not the init, so I figured I'd need it.

Unfortunately, the display is upside down, which is made even worse by the fact that the touch screen isn't upside down. I know the A101 has an upside down screen, but where's the setting to fix this? It seems to be the only problem so far(can't really test anything else without a screen fix ;)).

EDIT: I got the display reversed by setting ro.board.display_portrait to "1", but the touchscreen is still reversed.
    Now make a new file in /system/bin/ called flip.sh, make it executable with "chmod +x flip.sh" and add the following lines inside the file:
    Code:

Thanks for sharing: you can also write this in init.rc so you don't have to run the exec

Code:
    # Touch Screen fix
        write /sys/module/hid_hanvon/parameters/rotate180 N
        write /sys/module/mma7660fc/parameters/rotate180 N

:p