[Q] i9023 bricked. Secure: on (S-ON), radio XXXXX

Search This thread

anglergab

Apr 14, 2012
Budapest
Have you tried erasing partitions by fastboot?
Have you tried Odin?
It's quite surpising, that your Nexus S has an unsupported bootloader version. What version has it got exactly?

Last edited:
Reactions: Androyed

Androyed

Jan 1, 2011
1. Have you tried erase partitions by fastboot?
2. Have you tried Odin?
It's quite surpising, that your Nexus S has an unsupported bootloader version.
3. What version has it got exactly?

1. Doesn't work. This is because of S-ON.
2. No, but I doubt it will work. S-ON is in the way when flashing a radio. And if I don't flash another radio then I'm stuck with the XXXXX baseband version which is (probably) the reason I can't boot up my Nexus S in the first place, because the radio always boots up first.
3. i9020XXKA3. The bootloader version isn't unsupported. It's just that it's different from the baseband version. Which causes trouble. And I can't flash another radio because of S-ON.

anglergab

Apr 14, 2012
Budapest
Have you tried "fastboot oem writesecureflag 0" or "fastboot oem writesecureflag 3" commands?
They might turn on and off S-ON.
It's interesting though you've got S-ON. What is the exact version of your radio (baseband)?

Androyed

Jan 1, 2011
Have you tried "fastboot oem writesecureflag 0" or "fastboot oem writesecureflag 3" commands?
They might turn on and off S-ON.
It's interesting though you've got S-ON. What is the exact version of your radio (baseband)?

No, I have not tried that! Thanks for that tip! I'm willing to try anything now :p Not today though, I'm about to go to bed. I will let you know tomorrow if it worked!

So is that what HBOOT does? Because that's what you need when gaining S-OFF with a HTC device, right? You don't think there would be any way for me to use HBOOT?

Yes, it is really interesting. The exact version is i9020XXXXX. That version is supposed to be corrupt. I have read somewhere that the radio is the first thing that boots up. And that makes sense, because I can't even get into the bootloader when booting up normally. With AdamOutler's tool I'm able to resurrect, of course.

For the record, fastboot getvar all shows "secure: yes", and not "secure: on". But I guess that's the same thing, right?

Anglergab, thank you for taking the time to help me. EDIT: No, thank you for making an account just to answer my question! I was starting to fear that no one would know the answer to my problem. :p

m.sabra

Sep 3, 2011
Beirut
Well maybe S-On isn't a real problem i need some users to test and confirm,as on my completely working nexus s without any problems i used this command in fastboot "fastboot getvar all" and i got secure:yes, this was the full stats
(bootloader) product: herring
(bootloader) serialno: <serial no>
(bootloader) version-hardware: REV 52
(bootloader) version-baseband: I9020XXKI1
(bootloader) version-bootloader: I9020XXKL1
(bootloader) secure: yes
(bootloader) unlocked: yes
(bootloader) off-mode-charge: 1

so please some users try this and report if you also have secure yes.
after i got this i tried to flash a radio and a recovery and they both worked just fine so the "secure: yes" isn't your problem here

Androyed

Jan 1, 2011
Well maybe S-On isn't a real problem i need some users to test and confirm,as on my completely working nexus s without any problems i used this command in fastboot "fastboot getvar all" and i got secure:yes, this was the full stats
(bootloader) product: herring
(bootloader) serialno: <serial no>
(bootloader) version-hardware: REV 52
(bootloader) version-baseband: I9020XXKI1
(bootloader) version-bootloader: I9020XXKL1
(bootloader) secure: yes
(bootloader) unlocked: yes
(bootloader) off-mode-charge: 1

so please some users try this and report if you also have secure yes.
after i got this i tried to flash a radio and a recovery and they both worked just fine so the "secure: yes" isn't your problem here

Well, this kind of sucks. At least before I (thought) I knew what the problem was.

The writesecureflag commands didn't work.

When erasing the bootloader or radio it says: "No Allowance on This Partition"
When flashing the bootloader or radio it says: "Write Fail"

The exact list I get with fastboot getvar all is this:
product: herring
serialno: <serialno>
version-hardware: REV 04
version-baseband: I9020XXXXX
version-bootloader: I9020XXKA3
secure: yes
unlocked: yes
off-mode-charge: 1

Harbb

Dec 20, 2011
Sydney
Have you tried ODIN? Heimdal is the Linux equivalent. Unsure how to use it but shouldn't be too difficult, i believe you'll have to be in download mode first and maybe even need specific ODIN files to flash.

You can have a look here for more info. You could try flashing the available 2.3.(1?) radio through ODIN from here.

This is the best i can do for now, exam tomorrow needs studying for.

anglergab

Apr 14, 2012
Budapest
Just another tip: if you can enter recovery, you should try ADB.
Enter "adb shell" on your PC, and fill the radio/baseband partition with zeros (with the "dd" tool). If it's done, you can try flashing a proper radio firmware image to it.
You can find a list of your partitions by issuing the command "cat /proc/partitions" (you should copy its content to this thread as well).
Your screen is not working probably because the baseband firmware contains its drivers. The baseband image contains many drivers, though its name comes from the radio driver part.

If the further attempts are not successful, then it could easily happen, that your NAND chip is corrupted.
Unfortunately exactly those part got corrupted (i. e. bad blocks), which contains the baseband image (see your recovery log).
The system (FTL layer) flags the bad blocks, so they cannot be accessed by Linux (i. e. recovery system). That's why you cannot write them.
But on a lower level you can reflash those "corrupted" parts as well. You will need a low-level NAND flasher tool (Odin?), which doesn't checks for bad blocks, just simply writes. Chances are, that the flagged blocks are not corrupted at all, just the system thinks it, by this making impossible to flash a new baseband image by general tools (adb/fastboot).
You should check, whether this mobile can be connected to a PC in DFU mode, in which a low-level NAND flash seems possible.

Important! When you flash bootloader and baseband/radio images, the order of flashing matters!
Flash the bootloader before the radio, and reboot after flashing bootloader or radio.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harbb and Androyed

Androyed

Jan 1, 2011
This week is a very busy week for me, so I don't know if I will be able to do it all today. But here is a list of things I'm going to try:
- Odin
- Heimdall
- ADB shell
- Connect in DFU mode (isn't that for the iPhone? Bootloader is for android what DFU mode is for iOS, right?)

Thanks a lot, all of you! I can't say it enough. I know you are helping me in your spare time. These tips give me hope again!

Androyed

Jan 1, 2011
cat /proc/partitions gives me this:
major minor #blocks name

31 0 2048 mtdblock0
31 1 1280 mtdblock1
31 2 8192 mtdblock2
31 3 8192 mtdblock3
31 4 480768 mtdblock4
31 5 13824 mtdblock5
31 6 6912 mtdblock6
179 0 15552512 mmcblk0
179 1 524288 mmcblk0p1
179 2 1048576 mmcblk0p2
179 3 13978607 mmcblk0p3

Androyed

Jan 1, 2011
I was just thinking, could it have something to do with my IMEI number? I found this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1213566. He has the same errors as me:

I'm trying to restore from stock via the one_click_method, but it fails trying to write the radio partition.

>$ fastboot-mac flash radio radio.img
sending 'radio' (15232 KB)... OKAY
writing 'radio'... FAILED (remote: Write Fail)

So I tried to erase the radio partition but I get this error:

>$ fastboot-mac erase radio
erasing 'radio'... FAILED (remote: No Allowance on This Partition)

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Thanks,

I don't want mess with my EFS folder just yet, but it could be a possibility. The day I bricked my Nexus S, I updated CM9 to a new nightly, I updated the matrix kernel, and I also flashed the reloadedICS mod. But I wasn't happy with the fact that they changed the icons in the statusbar. Luckily I found a post in that thread, where someone uploaded the same reloadedICS mod, but with the original icons. Could it be that I got a wrong IMEI number because of that?

Odin and heimdall are on my list for tomorrow. Am I supposed to fill the baseband partition with zeros myself? Because to be honest I'm not really sure what partitions is what in my post above.

anglergab

Apr 14, 2012
Budapest
It can happen, that your EFS partition got corrupted. If it's true and you don't have a backup of it, then you cannot restore it and probably your IMEI is also lost. The next command (for a Nexus) presumably makes a backup image of efs, which can then be checked for consistency:
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/efs of=/sdcard/efs.img
The next command makes a backup of your baseband/radio image:
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/radio bs=4096 of=/mnt/sdcard/radio.img
If you exchange the parameters of "if" and "of", you can flash/restore a radio image.

Update: you can check the next folder for device files as well:
Code:
/dev/block/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/by-name

Bootloader, baseband/radio firmware images can be found on this link:
code.google.com/android/nexus/images.html

If you have a i9023 device, you'll need to check out section "Factory Images "soju" for Nexus S (worldwide version, i9020t and i9023)". Please unpack the aforementioned img-s from the zip.

You should check the /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/ folder for block devices containing firmware. Though most partitions containing firmware images can be hidden by default, but they still can be accessed and modified (with restoring purposes as well) through a serial console. A serial console with UART can be activated through your USB port by connecting appropriate resistors to some pins.

If your further attempts to flash a proper baseband image are not successful, then one of the last hopes is enabling serial console.

Last edited:

Superboy58

Jun 3, 2010
Clermont-Ferrand
I was facing the same issue since two days when I managed to unlock my bootloader with "fastboot oem unlock" but I don't know why did it not work before...
Anyway, I can't see anything on my screen, it is always black and also after flashing new bootloader, new radio, new boot.img, new system.img, I can't see the charging battery when the phone is off and I can't see the white word "Google".

I think the 16Gb Sandisk memory chip is damaged and we can't do anything for this.
I've see someone speaking about a low lever NAND flasher/eraser and I was wondering if we can't reset the memory chip by some voltage in some pins of the chip... :p
Any chance this crazy solution works? :D

Androyed

Jan 1, 2011
Hey there anglergab and everyone else who has helped me!

Sorry for my absence the last week. I was on a trip with my school. I just came back and now I have vacation for a week, so I'm going to work on my bricked Nexus S the coming week... after a good long sleep, that is!

DarkhShadow

Sep 25, 2011
Essex
Hey there anglergab and everyone else who has helped me!

Sorry for my absence the last week. I was on a trip with my school. I just came back and now I have vacation for a week, so I'm going to work on my bricked Nexus S the coming week... after a good long sleep, that is!

Hope you get it working!

As a last resort you could always try AdamOutlers unbrickable mod

Sent from my ice cream powered Nexus S

DarkhShadow

Sep 25, 2011
Essex
Lol, I'm waaaaaaay beyond that! Without AdamOutler's tool I can't even get any life out of my device... :p

That's the software part of the mod, I'm talking about the full blown hardware mod, ie can flash bootloaders even if its corrupted and from there flash stuff
Maybe even try pming Adam himself

Sent from my ice cream powered Nexus S

Androyed

Jan 1, 2011
It can happen, that your EFS partition got corrupted. If it's true and you don't have a backup of it, then you cannot restore it and probably your IMEI is also lost. The next command (for a Nexus) presumably makes a backup image of efs, which can then be checked for consistency:
Code:
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/radio bs=4096 of=/mnt/sdcard/radio.img
If you exchange the parameters of "if" and "of", you can flash/restore a radio image.

Code:

If you have a i9023 device, you'll need to check out section "Factory Images "soju" for Nexus S (worldwide version, i9020t and i9023)". Please unpack the aforementioned img-s from the zip.

You should check the /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/ folder for block devices containing firmware. Though most partitions containing firmware images can be hidden by default, but they still can be accessed and modified (with restoring purposes as well) through a serial console. A serial console with UART can be activated through your USB port by connecting appropriate resistors to some pins.

If your further attempts to flash a proper baseband image are not successful, then one of the last hopes is enabling serial console.

I tried to make a backup of efs and the radio image. Both the commands didn't work; "no such file or directory".

Using ls I tried to find my way through the directories. I got in dev, I got in block, and I got in platform, but I couldn't get further than that.

/dev/block/platform # cd omap
cd omap
/sbin/sh: cd: can't cd to omap

I used ls again to see what was inside the /dev/block/platform folder.

/dev/block/platform # ls
ls
s3c-sdhci.0 s5pc110-onenand

Also, Odin 1.85 doesn't recognize the device. I am in download mode (search- and homekey lit up).

shawnaxi

Jan 31, 2008
What's the finial result of the 9023? My m200 encountered the same problem, that baseband I9020XXXXX

Androyed

Jan 1, 2011
What's the finial result of the 9023? My m200 encountered the same problem, that baseband I9020XXXXX

I sent it to Adam Outler himself, the guy who made the Unbrickable Resurrector tool. He declared my Nexus S dead. Forever. Apparently I screwed up the radio so bad that it was beyond repair.

He specifically said that it would be pointless to go to another repair service, so I didn't. It's strange to have a brick that does still show some signs of life (my computer recognized something, and the Resurrector tool did work, sort of), but will never work again. How I managed to brick a Nexus beyond repair I'm still not sure. It was pretty sudden.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Interesting. Will keep this in mind the next time i go drifting off thinking about this stuff, thanks. Just a question though, was it a corrupted flash or flashing a non-compatible radio (NS4G -> i9020T, i9020A -> i9020T or something)?

Not sure if Androyd has tried fastboot for installing the ROM yet but it does seem unlikely it'll work while he can't flash a bootloader/radio via fastboot. Androyd, can you by any chance go into recovery and use adb successfully, particularly adb shell?

I am not sure because it was around last August, but I believe it was simply a corrupted flash when I tried KD1 for i9020a/i9020t/i9023 from here. From then on I just stuck to using KB3 and/or UC based radios only meant for i9020a and moved on with my life.

I think we need a bullet list of what Androyd is able and not able to do at the moment. I see he's able to boot to recovery by loading one using fasboot. Shows fastboot is in working order. From then on I don't see why he can't anything though.
    Just another tip: if you can enter recovery, you should try ADB.
    Enter "adb shell" on your PC, and fill the radio/baseband partition with zeros (with the "dd" tool). If it's done, you can try flashing a proper radio firmware image to it.
    You can find a list of your partitions by issuing the command "cat /proc/partitions" (you should copy its content to this thread as well).
    Your screen is not working probably because the baseband firmware contains its drivers. The baseband image contains many drivers, though its name comes from the radio driver part.

If the further attempts are not successful, then it could easily happen, that your NAND chip is corrupted.
    Unfortunately exactly those part got corrupted (i. e. bad blocks), which contains the baseband image (see your recovery log).
    The system (FTL layer) flags the bad blocks, so they cannot be accessed by Linux (i. e. recovery system). That's why you cannot write them.
    But on a lower level you can reflash those "corrupted" parts as well. You will need a low-level NAND flasher tool (Odin?), which doesn't checks for bad blocks, just simply writes. Chances are, that the flagged blocks are not corrupted at all, just the system thinks it, by this making impossible to flash a new baseband image by general tools (adb/fastboot).
    You should check, whether this mobile can be connected to a PC in DFU mode, in which a low-level NAND flash seems possible.

Important! When you flash bootloader and baseband/radio images, the order of flashing matters!
    Flash the bootloader before the radio, and reboot after flashing bootloader or radio.
    Well, that would be the normal thing to do after resurrecting with AdamOutler's tool. But unfortunately I can't because of the i9020XXXXX baseband version. It prevents me from flashing bootloader.img or radio.img. When I try, it just says "failed to write". I tried to remove the radio partition but that doesn't work either...

You don't need a working radio to flash anything, you know. :S

Since you got adb working, you should be able to use fastboot to do all your stuff.

Use a flashlight to shine the screen and see what's going on if you can't see anything.

Boot into fastboot mode (VOL+ and PWR), make sure your phone is unlocked (command is: fastboot oem unlock). Unlock it if it's not.

Then flash CWM using fastboot, command being: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    Where recovery.img is the name of your recovery. Latest recovery can be found here:
    http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo.img

After that, power down and reboot in recovery (VOL+ and PWR, then select recovery. Scroll to Mounts and Storage then mount USB storage. Your computer should popup a new drive, if not, disconnect your phone and connect it again.

Once that new drive popups up, transfer any compatible ROM of your choice and flash it using CWM. Tada!

Edit: Also, flash a working radio. KF1 will do.
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=737283&stc=1&d=1317509083
    Go through that post i linked to above. The information i gathered means, to me, that the radio is not simply a driver for cell network hardware and transmission. I think that the radio might mean more than this, something the rest of the phone relies on to function normally, even without signal. It probably has some solid ties to fastboot, as seen in not allowing fastboot to flash a bootloader.

Or I could be crazy, you never know :rolleyes:

Interesting discussion but I've been radio-less for a few days once after a bad radio flash and during that time I flashed roms without any issue, heck I update my CWM recovery for TWRP back then. My baseband was also showing "Unknown". Never caused me any problem other than the fact I couldn't get a cellphone signal. That makes it hard to believe it's an essential part of the boot process.

All in all, it seems irrelevant to the current discussion. *shrugs*
    Code:
    Code:

Code: