OCMan new Start menu Replacement(WVGA,VGA) _ Sense _ 5 columns....

Search This thread

ocman

Oct 14, 2009
Hello everybody, have finished my modification of kenia1234 sense startmenu replacement, using CHTeditor I have seen we can change programpages from 4 to 5 columns, wanted to do the same on kenia startmenu replacement...here is the result...

This is my first try in modding manila files, and I am quite happy to have understand the thing in half a day, hash file name is really a pain to work with...

But now I have what I wanted, a really usable start menu ( not too much long to scroll like list or 4 columns), included in the cab, shortcut to control panels item so you can disable the Windows mobile start menu to same a great 10mb of RAM, this hack to disabling completely the startmenu is from arto, I have attached the startmenu disabler for wm 6.5 and for wm 6.5.x, Install this to gain system memory...

Thanks to members Etoy & Abrasive We now have VGA versions as well !!!

VGA 4 rows

VGA 5 rows

Here is the link for original WVGA Kenia1234 version :
Original Kenia1234 Thread

Last edited:

Kenia1234

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 15, 2008
Really nice!! I m glad to see that my work was useful for you...
thanks for the quote!

Anyway Good job!! :)

ocman

Oct 14, 2009
What would be great is the folder ability like the real startmenu, but thats definitely a hard work of coding...:(

ocman

Oct 14, 2009
My real goal to achieve, is to replace the recent program list from the bottom, and to replace it with shortcut for "recent program", "All programs","Control Panel".

This way we can have acces to parameters without loosing the ability of recentprogramlist. but I really don't know enought by now on lua script etc to program the whole thing, we have the layout, we need a good dev to make the whole thing, but I think it's a bit difficult to do as it need the script to understand how to lauch cpl files...

my real dream is a lightweight startmenu replacement like "Panoramic Launcher"...

Last edited:

jonifen

May 30, 2009
This looks great - I never knew (or noticed) that the Start Menu was so heavyweight on memory. I might give this a go over the weekend. Nice work!

mitsi

Jun 19, 2008
Croydon
ocman, this is a very nice tweak to get more ram. I tried Panoramic Launcher, but believe it or not, found it to be a bit buggy. Sometimes it launched and sometimes the start menu launched. I want something which I can get used to. I am trying your program and like it very much. The only thing I would change is to give the settings menu items the same icon as before. I think I can research this one as I know you can add icons to shortcuts.

It does seem to save some ram too.

Well done and thanks!!! :D

G-ThGraf

Dec 8, 2009
Paris
Hi,

is it possible to creat folder in this start menu (i think yeah but need be sure :D)

Bye bye (et merci!!)

Frank C

Oct 5, 2008
Hmmm, pitty did not work for me.....did not get te square with start icons. Instead icons where similar oriented as current start menu and logo's where gone.

maan1976

Jul 22, 2008
great job.i ve been looking for a start menu disabler and a replacement for a year.

GREAT JOB,piece of ART !

felipemadox

Jul 13, 2009
Not work too at wm 6.5.x.

I installed the cab to replace and the cab to remove start menu, but when i soft reset my device the windows flag has disappeared and i get no more startmenu. Neither new or old

buffalosolja42

Aug 19, 2007
Gainesville
yeah in 6.5.x lost but I gained like 30mb wow

I see were this would really help with CHT or any other version thinking about installing it to see how it works on overlay sitting idle right now with NRGz 8-6 I have 96mb free! That is a good hack either way maybe needs to be cooked into roms and have a shortcut to the windows/startmenu for access to startmenu. Either way nice job.

****you lose your settings menu access as well because I was going to map my windows button to the windows/startup/program files*****

Last edited:

maan1976

Jul 22, 2008
hahaha nice appbutyou forgot something theme settings !

dude wonderful app , but you forgot a shortcut to change the theme and the theme wallpaper ! in WM6.5 and 6.5.3 it has a special path ,not like 6.1 ,you might need to tweak it a little bit ! ! ! !

but its a great RAM saver and super practical ! :) great job:)

sv0911

May 1, 2010
@ocman,

thanks for sharing..!
Works perfect for me...!:)

Greetings
sv0911

aLlamaWithARifle

Jan 28, 2010
Wow this really makes such a big difference, even on my HD2. This seems to have saved me about 20mb on my memory and has sped up my entire phone quite a lot.

The only problem is I'm using arkswitch and that covers up the start menu button and the start menu hardware button doesn't seem to work so at the moment I've got no way of getting to the start menu. Is it possible to make the hardware button work again?

Overall though it's a big improvement and it has definately made a speed difference and personally I think that this looks better than the default start menu anyway.

amc1274

Dec 4, 2008
I hated the start menu layout and always wished for a CHTEditor grid type layout. Can't wait to try it out!

EDIT: Tried it out and love it. On my HD2, pressing the hard Start button seems to confuse it for a few seconds and then nothing. The soft Start button works fine and the app is VERY good in general. Like others have said, it would be perfect for me if the hard button worked or could be mapped, the scrolling speed was increased and folder creation.

Excellent job!

Last edited:

Hammerfest

Apr 3, 2008
San Antonio, TX
OIY OP FUK YOU.....

but in all seriousness, I offered a bounty both here at XDA and over at PPCG for a CHT or classic WM6.1 StartMenu/Programs for $20...

Keep up the good work, make it (talk to CHT/CHTE) compatible and customizable with CHT/CHTE to be merged into or if you want to keep it alone make it an add-on still for CHT/CHTE (so we can change the columns/row amount/setup)

$20 for the finalized version with customization possibilities (it can do folders?), make that bottom row optional and customizable, Recent Programs or Folders or like Win7 even with the "Pin to StartMenu"

Either way, when done and I can use it reliably $20 is yours (paypal?!)

x2h

Jun 22, 2007
hi i installed this program and it does saved 10 M ram! thanks a lot!

however i have a few problems. in sense 2.5, the calendar and setting tabs dissappeared.

i also try to map this program to a hardware key, but can't seem to find the shortcut to the app. can you tell me where to find it?

thanks for helping!!!