HELP! G2 screen is black with white lines.

Search This thread

reflux

Jan 25, 2009
Chi-City
so my girlfriend's brother pushed her and she ended up falling on her phone. she tried to turn it on and what do you know, all you see is a black screen with white lines. anyone know the problem? do i just have to replace the LCD? thanks in advance.

luis86dr

May 27, 2009
Jersey
Hopefully you have insurance, if so tell your girlfriends brother to cough up 130.

[G2/HTC Vision]

reflux

Jan 25, 2009
Chi-City
Hopefully you have insurance, if so tell your girlfriends brother to cough up 130.

[G2/HTC Vision]

lol tmobile insurance is a joke. but i'm making him pay $200 to cancel one of my spare lines so i can give my GF one of the G2's that im selling. im hoping it doesn't come to that because i really don't want to do that. my guess is that i just need to replace the LCD. anyone care to chime in?

awsrasool

Jan 13, 2009
Toronto
RE

i had a similar problem with my phone ... my screen went white with random black lines on it ... i might have sat with the phone in my pocket earlier not too sure ... anyways so the screen wouldn't show anything but the phone worked otherwise, i can hear it receiving notifications, and i can even receive phone calls and answer them if I slide my finger across the screen ... the phone was rooted, and i wasn't able to do a hard reset on it ...

took the phone back to bell on the 3rd, and last monday i heard back from them saying that the LCD was cracked and needed replacement ... which is not covered under the waranty since it's a physical damage and it would cost $150 CND to replace it ... should be getting the phone back this monday...

Last edited:

rewen

Apr 19, 2010
Barrie
After replacing my Desire Z via FutureShop warranty (for battery issues) I somehow ended up with the lines on my screen Christmas eve, however the LCD was not cracked. The lines would move around and change in brightness as I did things on the phone (opening apps, flipping keyboard out, etc). If the lines don't move then it's more likely a crack in the screen. My issue was more likely a faulty ribbon/connection. I carry my phone in an inner breast pocket on my winter jacket, so I definitely didn't crush it or anything, either.

So back to FutureShop I went, only a week after the first replacement, and they gave me another new one right away. Between 2 stores that I have visited my 2 replacements are supposedly the only 2 replacements that have been done since the phone launched.

My 3rd one seems to be doing well, no battery issues, so far no screen issues.

I guess my point is, if you can get a phone from a retailer that offers a decent warranty, do it. I bought my phone outright at $500, the warranty was $10 a month.. I fell for it, but I'm very very glad that I did. Although HTC may have covered me, I would have been without the phone for a lot of time, and once they found out that I'd unlocked it they probably would have left me in the cold.

guhl99

Aug 25, 2010
good point. i was planning on taking it apart tomorrow

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

I had exactly the same, it is very very likely that "only" the LCD that is broken.

I got an replacement from from ebay (it's about 60 USD) and replaced it following IntuitiveNipples teardown guide at http://tjworld.net/blog/htc-desire-z-tear-down

Its' a little bit of fiddling but in the end not that complicated (tryin to remember which screws should go into which place was the hardest part)

reflux

Jan 25, 2009
Chi-City
Thanks for the input guys. Very much appreciate it. Looks like ill order the lcd when I get my next paycheck :O

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

radici

Jun 5, 2006
Bridgetown
I have this problem too, and eventually (like 2 or so mins in with the screen on) the screen gets dark areas in the corners. We're guessing it is screen damage (which is strange becuse the phone hasn't been dropped or anything, was just in my pocket). My question is what should I do - should I send it to HTC for an exchange or will I get issues with that because the phone is rooted, in which case should I just get a new screen and replace it?

radici

Jun 5, 2006
Bridgetown
this is what the screen looks like now :(

Attachments

• IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 115

Top Liked Posts