[ICS] Nyan Colonel v5 (Atarashii) Voodoo & No Voodoo

Search This thread

MДЯCЦSДИT

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 21, 2010
What exactly does this live over clock do? If you don't feel like explaining, maybe I can haz link to some code?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
It overclocks the bus which basically does a full overclock of the SOC including DRAM and such. You can find code in my github. My commits are fully specific.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ozcjr

GRK4G63

Nyan 4 = full of win

I see a lot of people asking about voodoo color settings. Here are mine that I use for cm9

6c4b04e3-1a22-7dc9.jpg

6c4b04e3-1a75-dffd.jpg

Gamma
R 50
G 53
B 44
RGB Multipliers
R 286***
G 333***
B 392***

These allow for very rich and sharp colors.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

Yup! They actually do! :)

I had a different bunch of settings on the stock CM9 b2 kernel, and so when I flashed Nyan v4, everything seemed to have a bluish tinge to it. It was very dull. I applied the above settings and it's breathed new life into my display. Thanks for posting!

MДЯCЦSДИT

Nov 21, 2010
Yup! They actually do! :)

I had a different bunch of settings on the stock CM9 b2 kernel, and so when I flashed Nyan v4, everything seemed to have a bluish tinge to it. It was very dull. I applied the above settings and it's breathed new life into my display. Thanks for posting!

Yeah, I messed up on the default settings. They will be fixed in the next version.

tbob18

Jul 24, 2007
Chicago
www.flickr.com
Great job on the kernel, seems to be running nicely for me. :)
I seem to still have the Android OS bug (mmc_delayed_work), but it is not really a huge deal.

Here are my Spyder calibrated Voodoo Color settings (also at bottom of post):

Color Multipliers

Gamma Offset

Temperature ranges from 6400k-6800k at 10%-100% white
Gamma is close to 2.2 at 10%-40% white
At 40%-100% white, gamma is 1.6-1.8 and cannot be corrected with Voodoo Color (unless I'm missing something :D)
Everything is still over-saturated (probably something like 120% of sRGB)

Of course every screen is different so your results will vary, however this should be pretty close on most Epic displays.

For most it will look too warm (or too red) because almost every display on the market defaults to 7500k or worse creating a very prominent blue (sometimes green) tint - and this has become the norm.
Sometimes it is actually preferred to have your display calibrated at 5500-6000k for black and white content. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluerai

aestil

Sep 17, 2010
I'm using the NSTools app and can't get 100mhz to stick on conservative or ondemand.

Bluerai

Feb 18, 2011
Been running this all day, and I must say that I'm really loving this colonel. My awake vs screen on times are much closer, and everything feels snappier than V3
Which translates into the best battery life I've gotten on any CM9 based rom thus far

Edit: I'm wondering why people need 100mhz so bad when on the stock settings they're listed as the same voltage as far as I can tell..
Would it really use less power somehow?

Last edited:

lcovel

Jul 10, 2011
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Uninstall all other oc apps and reboot then try again

I'm on AOKP b31, having the same problem with trying to get 100mhz to stick. Haven't used any oc/uv tools in a few weeks. Re flashed the kernel 3 times, re-downloaded 2 times. Still cant get 100mhz to stick. Odd thing is that I CAN get it to stick in ROM control, but using anything else sets it back to 200hz minimum

MДЯCЦSДИT

Nov 21, 2010
Been running this all day, and I must say that I'm really loving this colonel. My awake vs screen on times are much closer, and everything feels snappier than V3
Which translates into the best battery life I've gotten on any CM9 based rom thus far

Edit: I'm wondering why people need 100mhz so bad when on the stock settings they're listed as the same voltage as far as I can tell..
Would it really use less power somehow?

It makes no difference at all other than it moves less thus putting less strain on the processor?

stevie13.xo

Mar 9, 2012
A lot of phones don't go below 200 MHz unless their underclocked

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

s89281b

Oct 7, 2010
north charleston,sc
in the screenshots of nstools in market there is a option for fast charge. do you have plans on incorporating this feature in future releases? is it like nubecoders battery tweaker? that was one of my favorite tweaks as i charge with usb at work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please try shadow, samurai, and stock kernels also for a bit to see what one you like best! Don't choose a kernel because everyone else likes it or because it has a long feature list and fancy new shiny things.

6b32ae90-01ca-47b8.jpg

This is a kernel, not a full ROM... please use AOKP, MIUI4, or CM9 with this...

Atarashii - New/Fresh - This kernel was made to revolutionize what all of the current 'normal' Epic kernels have. I have added in tweaks and mods that were never before seen on the Epic, long forgotten, and from other devices such as the Nexus S and i9000.

Hopefully (probably) most other kernel developers will implement these new features and help keep the Epic current.

I prefer that you use NSTools to overclock and undervolt and do other tweaks. It is more featured than Voltage Control and this kernel supports it better. Voltage Control works fine too but I recommend uninstalling all cpu tools you have and installing NSTools.

I am not responsible to ANYTHING that happens to you or your phone as a result of using this kernel. Most things in this are experimental to a point but have been tested and confirmed safe.

Some of these features have NEVER been used before on the Epic, so don't expect everything that you are used to. Things can and will be different than usual.

Feature List

• Voodoo Sound v10 by Supercurio
    • Voodoo Color by Supercurio
    • Optimized compiler flags by netarchy and Ezekeel
    • Live OC (on the fly bus overclock) by Ezekeel (Use NSTools app, not voltage control)
    • Custom Undervolt by Ezekeel (Use NSTools app, not voltage control)
    • Misc. bugfixes
    • Battery Life eXtender (BLX) v1 by Ezekeel
    • OS tools compiled with O3
    • Swappiness set to 10 from 60 (Rodderik)
    • Voodoo mDNIe (keeps text sharp and backgrounds don't look like crap)
    • Defconfig tweaks
    • Overclocking (no need for enabling crap in Voltage Control)
    • Undervolting both via Voltage Control and NSTools (Ezekeel & nubecoder)
    • Tweaked ondemand
    • Tweaked conservative
    • Optimized SIO
    • Optimized deadline
    • Added TINY_PREEMPT_RCU
    • Added optimized CRC32 algorithm
    • Optimized ARM RWSEM algorithm
    • JHash 3
    • Added SLQB memory allocator
    • Add 3 Button Reboot
    • Increase default readahead to 1024kB
    • Voodoo Color defaults that do not suck
    • Allow CPU-supported unaligned accesses
    • Some SD/MMC tweaks (might reduce wakelocks)
    • mDNIe is enabled but tweaked to look good
    • Swag

Major thanks

• Ezekeel
    • Team Glitch
    • Epiccm team
    • bbelos
    • nubecoder
    • nullghost
    • rodderik
    • supercurio
    • Aprosamurai
    • thomasskull666
    • Many many others

Source
    https://github.com/marcusant/Atarashii

Download
    v5 w/ Voodoo: http://marcusant.com/nyankernel/epic/nyan_v5_perm.zip
    a0e5cca4fdc856c4468f8188e5d0c871

v5 w/o Voodoo: http://marcusant.com/nyankernel/epic/nyan_v5_perm_noVoodoo.zip
    ce52381883c180a09aefb2e3e427e730

Replace TWRP with CWM (flash within TWRP with inject off): http://marcusant.com/android/epic/restore-cwm.zip
    Changelog​

v5 WiP
    -Update to beta3 of cm9
    -Change DVFS relayed things
    -Cypress touch key fixes
    -Update to kernel 2.35.13 (still listed as .7)
    -Switch to git SHA1
    -Add boot progress bar
    -Switch to crespo mdnie
    -Reduce log buffer size
    -Battery updates from infuse
    -KSM
    -ULP_FREQ lowered to 400mhz
    -Sysfs control for capacitive lights
    -Glibc versions of string and memcopy
    -Add proportional rate reduction
    -Fix Google Maps
    -Increase USB strength
    -More

v4.1
    -Fix green flashing to some extent

v4.2
    -Add TWRP (may go back to CWM) (Dees-Troy)

v4.3
    -Add some misc stuff
    -Switched to voodoo color settings from bbelos
    -Fixed some sleeping stuff and 100mhz (mkasick)
    -Increase USB strength
    -Add sysfs control for softkeys (bbelos)
    -Update to current beta3 of CM9 (still works on AOKP and older CM9 builds)
    -Fixed GMaps​
    Please uninstall NSTools if you have deep sleep issues and use Voltage Control.

Hehe...this sounds kinda like those medication commercials with all the side effects that seem much worse than what you're trying to treat in the first place:

"Ask your doctor about Nyan Colonel. Tell your doctor if you see flashes of green when you open your eyes, as this could be a serious eyeball gamma problem. Don't take Nyan Colonel if you have liver, kidney, or colon problems or if you have deep sleep issues. Side effects include overclocking, snappy menu response, increased battery life, and spontaneous fits of laughter when hearing the phrase "I love my iPhone"

You have to remember that I am not making this for YOU or even the community. I make this for MYSELF...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2