[Kernel][GB] holoNote Kernel 0.1 (Ghost Touch detection removed)

Search This thread

DAGr8

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2010
Montreal
Same here.
It's not all the time, but it seems like the phone has some sort of accidental touch detection, but only in certain situations and it's not implemented very well. It's been a "feature" of all the ICS leaks that I tried as well.

hmm reading this , here is a hunch , could it have something to do with the wake screen thingy , like you know how it dims before it woudl shut the screen down , cuz everytime I unlock my phone and click anything right away on my phone this doesnt happen .. Ijust tested it liek 20 times in a row but coud be afluke

hololight

Dec 18, 2010
Going to be a couple days at least before anyone sees anything from me; My 1.5 tb seagate drive is dying. Luckily it is still under warranty so I have to RMA it tonight... paying the extra cash to get it two day shipped though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda app-developers app

BlownFuze

Feb 9, 2011
Orlando, Florida
Going to be a couple days at least before anyone sees anything from me; My 1.5 tb seagate drive is dying. Luckily it is still under warranty so I have to RMA it tonight... paying the extra cash to get it two day shipped though.

Are you still working on an ICS kernel ? Typing fast is a nightmare, with ghost touch detection.

Sent from my phone using xda premium app

Reactions: VoluntaryMan

imranh101

Jul 2, 2012
Tried to install this today and phone wouldn't boot past Samsung logo. Tried both install over fresh and install over booted&used... I'm running the custom rom that is just ICS stock deodexed / zipaligned or whatever from here. reflashed said ROM and it boots fine... Is it simply because this kernel is incompatible with that ROM or am i doing something wrong? Flashed via CWM btw

Teufel Hunden

Mar 7, 2012
Ventura Co., CA
Tried to install this today and phone wouldn't boot past Samsung logo. Tried both install over fresh and install over booted&used... I'm running the custom rom that is just ICS stock deodexed / zipaligned or whatever from here. reflashed said ROM and it boots fine... Is it simply because this kernel is incompatible with that ROM or am i doing something wrong? Flashed via CWM btw

Yes, it's because it's a GB(gingerbread) kernel, not ICS

Biggest dog on the block, NOTE!! PAed JB

Reactions: VoluntaryMan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Notice: Saurom RCV users, there is a fix so that you can flash other kernels. The problem was caused by an incompatible library being flashed over Saurom's RTL modded library. In the future, my kernels will ship without modified libraries, and a cwm zip containing only the libraries will be offered (for those who need them).

For your pleasure, here is a new kernel for the ATT Galaxy Note. This kernel is forked from Da_G's Overclock kernel, so you are still getting all the features of that excellent piece of code.

For those a bit confused as to what 'Ghost thouch' is, and why it is removed:

Samsung added a bit of code to the touchscreen driver on the non-intl version of the note to detect 'ghost' touch input events, similar to the raindrop detection on the original Motorola Atrix (and others). While a nice idea on paper, this had un-intended consequences when trying to perform multi-touch input that continues longer than around 5 seconds; such as playing some games. It is now disabled in this kernel.

Edit: There also seems to be a pleasant side effect that I hadn't noticed... keyboard input is improved. Makes sense I suppose, since now there isn't this constant check for false touches slowing things down. Let me know if you see this on your device.

Please READ:

1. I have only tested this kernel on the ATT Galaxy Note running stock rom
    2. This kernel has no option to turn ghost touch detection on and off (I am considering this for version 0.2)
    3. I will likely not fix the issues where more than 6 fingers are not reliably detected.... why do you need that many fingers on the screen??
    4. As always, you are flashing something on to your expensive phone and it very well could kill you, burn [more] holes in the ozone layer, intoxicate innocent kittens, etc. (oh, and break your phone). You always flash at your own risk.
    5. The only change at the moment over Da_G's 0.2 kernel is the touchscreen stated above. As such, all the other good or bad remains the same.

Have fun, Let me know what you think.

Heard from:
    Saurom RC4 -- Works fine
    Saurom RC5 -- holoNote kernel is bundled already, but if you want to flash a different kernel you must apply a cwm zip containing a RTL modded lib

TPC V2 -- Works fine
    Rogers -- Works fine

Kallsyms version of my Kernel is now up (file ending with suffix 'k'). Please confirm that it is working for you guys that use that feature (I do not).
    Per request: Version without su/busybox (and install script) is now up. Please NOTE: this kernel does not remove root, just no longer installs root.

An oversight of mine has resulted in android reporting kernel version unavailable. Apps such as cpuspy report correct kernel name/ version.

https://github.com/hololight/sgh-i717-kernel
    Update coming soon...

For your pleasure, here is a new kernel for the ATT Galaxy Note. This kernel is forked from Da_G's Overclock kernel, so you are still getting all the features of that excellent piece of code.

For those a bit confused as to what 'Ghost thouch' is, and why it is removed:

Samsung added a bit of code to the touchscreen driver on the non-intl version of the note to detect 'ghost' touch input events, similar to the raindrop detection on the original Motorola Atrix (and others). While a nice idea on paper, this had un-intended consequences when trying to perform multi-touch input that continues longer than around 5 seconds; such as playing some games. It is now disabled in this kernel.

Please READ:

1. I have only tested this kernel on the ATT Galaxy Note running stock rom
    2. This kernel has no option to turn ghost touch detection on and off (I am considering this for version 0.2)
    3. I will likely not fix the issues where more than 6 fingers are not reliably detected.... why do you need that many fingers on the screen??
    4. As always, you are flashing something on to your expensive phone and it very well could kill you, burn [more] holes in the ozone layer, intoxicate innocent kittens, etc. (oh, and break your phone). You always flash at your own risk.
    5. The only change at the moment over Da_G's 0.2 kernel is the touchscreen stated above. As such, all the other good or bad remains the same.

Have fun, Let me know what you think.

Any chance of getting this with the kallsysms function that DA_G implemented in one version of his kernel 0.2? Thanks it would allow us more screen improvement with the touchscreentune app available (which works well to re-calibrate the pens offsets btw)?

Heard from:
    Saurom RC4 -- Works fine

https://github.com/hololight/sgh-i717-kernel

Please hit THANKS button if I help you, I have very low self esteem, and I crave validation! Sent from my Team EOS ICS Xoom
    wait .

both full wipe and non wipe of saurom contians the holo kernel 'K' version .

back on saurom 4 I did flash your cwm kernel on top no problem

Edit 1

will go back and forward right now just to see what sup .

Edit 2

flashed holoNoteKernel-0.1-2-k.zip on top of RCV (the one already present in the rom ) result : phone stuck at samsung logo ...

Flashed DA_G 's kernel (OC v2) still stuck .

Edit 3 : flashing DA_G 's V1 via odin .. still stuck ????????????

Edit 4 Flashing the non wipe update of V5 that includes the 'k' kernel phone boots

Flashing V5 non wipe on top of V5 non wipe phone boots just fine again .

both updater script and lib files are just the same . NExt will try to flash GA_G 's kernel on top of sauromV see whats up.

So whats with all the wierdness ?
    Thank you for this. It is VERY nice to have another Dev here for this huge piece of awesomeness!!! I appreciate your work.

BTW, everyone needs to hit thanks even if you are not going to use this kernel...and why are we asking for updates already?? Sit back and enjoy the ride!! Appreciate what we have!!