[Q] HTC Repair - US

Search This thread
Dec 16, 2010
Olathe, KS
I'm thinking that they might be kind of busy right now. I'm actually in the exact same place you are right now, michaelbsheldon: yesterday morning, May 8th, I received a shipping notification from HTC and UPS saying that my repaired phone would be delivered today. I checked the tracking info this morning, and it had not been updated. Later in the day, I received a new message from HTC and UPS saying that it would be delivered next Tuesday.

Am I disappointed? Sure. I've gone this long without my phone, though, I figure that a couple of days more won't kill me. It's kind of nice to have a valid excuse when people can't get a hold of you. I was able to sit in a field and drink a few beers last night without any interruptions or nagging. I can't remember the last time that happened...

VA_Joe

Jul 28, 2010
And so it begins....I returned to stock and will admit to nothing.

I selected "Please contact me" "Device is less than a year old. I don't understand how repairing a hardware issue is outside of manufacture warranty".

Wish me luck.

"Repair Description

We have diagnosed your device and have determined that due to the following reason(s), your device is out of warranty:

• Outside of Manufacture Warranty

In order to properly repair your device, the following action(s) will need to be taken which will require payment due to the out of warranty diagnosis:

• Outside of Manufacture Warranty"

Payment is $200

Dec 16, 2010
Olathe, KS
And so it begins....I returned to stock and will admit to nothing.

I selected "Please contact me" "Device is less than a year old. I don't understand how repairing a hardware issue is outside of manufacture warranty".

Wish me luck.

"Repair Description

We have diagnosed your device and have determined that due to the following reason(s), your device is out of warranty:

• Outside of Manufacture Warranty

In order to properly repair your device, the following action(s) will need to be taken which will require payment due to the out of warranty diagnosis:

• Outside of Manufacture Warranty"

Payment is $200

Good luck! They didn't reply to my email, so I impatiently called them and was able to get the fee waived. Hope all works out for you!

VA_Joe

Jul 28, 2010
Got them down to $100. Wish I could see what they were looking at on phone. I suspect it was something left on SD card.
I'm positive it showed Locked and S-on when I returned it.

If pinkish camera hadn't ruined a recent family picture I wouldn't have paid.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA Free mobile app

Uzephi

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
For a screen repair (wife cracked hers), would they check the bootloader for s-off and such? If so, can I keep it on old firmware to reroot after getting it back?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Free mobile app

dagrx8

Dec 14, 2013
For a screen repair (wife cracked hers), would they check the bootloader for s-off and such? If so, can I keep it on old firmware to reroot after getting it back?

I don't know if it's going to matter if you aren't seeking a warranty repair. (can you with a broken glass? I don't know) Again, if you are paying for the repair, I'd just ask them. All bets are off if it's a warranty repair. I'm no expert on what they would do there. I took the safe route and returned mine to stock, locked, and s-on. For me, they didn't reinstall any software. They sent it back as I sent it to them (except the mic was fixed). You should be safe and back up whatever you can off the phone in case they do return it back to stock, locked, and s-on.

Uzephi

Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
I don't know if it's going to matter if you aren't seeking a warranty repair. (can you with a broken glass? I don't know) Again, if you are paying for the repair, I'd just ask them. All bets are off if it's a warranty repair. I'm no expert on what they would do there. I took the safe route and returned mine to stock, locked, and s-on. For me, they didn't reinstall any software. They sent it back as I sent it to them (except the mic was fixed). You should be safe and back up whatever you can off the phone in case they do return it back to stock, locked, and s-on.

I think only the m8 is covered under the HTC advantage program, so most likely it will be out of pocket repair.

andybones

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive RD
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
From my understanding the m7 is under the advantage program as well.. granted you bought it new once they launched the program (when M8 was launched)
Could be wrong though.

Reactions: Uzephi

Uzephi

Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
From my understanding the m7 is under the advantage program as well.. granted you bought it new once they launched the program (when M8 was launched)
Could be wrong though.

I got hers two weeks ago. If it is covered, I will wait until I get her a case. Hee phones she owns have a magnetic pull towards the ground, lol

bikercr

My M7 developed a battery issue that various software interventions failed to fix. Unfortunately, screen had a superficial crack and case a couple of deep corner scratches. I chose the quick swap-out option with HTC Factory Repair for $19. This pays for UPS second day air, gives me a repair quote for the damage, and the option to pay for the non-warranty damage (or decline and get old phone back) and then get an immediate swap-out device for a turn around of about one week. I agreed to pay $180 for the screen and case damage repair and got back a few days later a completely brand new M7. Really excellent service IMHO.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

carngeX

Jun 30, 2010
My M7 developed a battery issue that various software interventions failed to fix. Unfortunately, screen had a superficial crack and case a couple of deep corner scratches. I chose the quick swap-out option with HTC Factory Repair for $19. This pays for UPS second day air, gives me a repair quote for the damage, and the option to pay for the non-warranty damage (or decline and get old phone back) and then get an immediate swap-out device for a turn around of about one week. I agreed to pay $180 for the screen and case damage repair and got back a few days later a completely brand new M7. Really excellent service IMHO.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Had to send my M7 in and did the $19 swap option as well the other day. Still waiting on the device to come back (says it's status is 'Awaiting Inspection' at the moment on their repair tracking site). Do you know if you got an actual new M7, or if you received a refurb? Also, is the replacement you got on a unlockable version, or is it on the latest Sense 6?

bikercr

Had to send my M7 in and did the $19 swap option as well the other day. Still waiting on the device to come back (says it's status is 'Awaiting Inspection' at the moment on their repair tracking site). Do you know if you got an actual new M7, or if you received a refurb? Also, is the replacement you got on a unlockable version, or is it on the latest Sense 6?

My status also got stuck, over a weekend, on "preparing replacement", so the whole process took about 8 days. I definitely got back a brand new unit--case, buttons, screen, battery and, I presume, everything. I'm with Verizon, so it was a Verizon unit, locked and with Sense 5. Two OTA updates came down to my device that brought it right up to 4.4.2 and Sense 6.0.

carngeX

Jun 30, 2010
My status also got stuck, over a weekend, on "preparing replacement", so the whole process took about 8 days. I definitely got back a brand new unit--case, buttons, screen, battery and, I presume, everything. I'm with Verizon, so it was a Verizon unit, locked and with Sense 5. Two OTA updates came down to my device that brought it right up to 4.4.2 and Sense 6.0.

Sweet; hopefully I get one with Sense 5 and not the Sense 6 update so I can unlock it lol (after I verify everything works of course haha).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I got on the phone with an HTC repair rep, and he was super helpful. He looked into my RMA and said that the repair tech found an "Unauthorized Operating System" installed, and that is why it was out of warranty. He asked if I was aware of this. I simply said that it was a Verizon phone and that I flashed it back to factory defaults before sending it in, so it should have the Verizon OS installed.
    He checked back with the repair tech and they decided that the initial observation was made in error, and they removed the repair fee. It is now at the "In repair" status, and I am a happy man.

GG HTC - I'm glad that they were reasonable with me. :)
    So I got on the phone with an HTC repair rep, and he was super helpful. He looked into my RMA and said that the repair tech found an "Unauthorized Operating System" installed, and that is why it was out of warranty. He asked if I was aware of this. I simply said that it was a Verizon phone and that I flashed it back to factory defaults before sending it in, so it should have the Verizon OS installed.
    He checked back with the repair tech and they decided that the initial observation was made in error, and they removed the repair fee. It is now at the "In repair" status, and I am a happy man.

GG HTC - I'm glad that they were reasonable with me. :)

In the future, don't tell them you "flashed it back to factory defaults". As far as they should know, you never left stock or know how to even unlock your bootloader.
    Could be wrong though.