SD Card seems to be unmounting automatically...

Search This thread

carrige

Oct 11, 2008
Well, basically as the title says. This's happened several times to me already. Say I'll turn my phone on (from standby) I'll get a popup error saying that the backup was unable to complete because no SD card was found. Next, the music application won't load the songs because those're all stored on the card. Same for Photos/Gallery. When I go to ES File Explorer, the 'sdcard' folder reports that it is empty.

There hasn't been a pattern that I discovered. This just happened now when I woke up (phone left charging overnight; Wi-Fi & Sync enabled) and I decided to come post here. Happened again yesterday afternoon when I got my phone out to play some music on the way home.

Every once in a while, I'd get lucky and the files would show up by themselves, but the only fool-proof way I've found to get the phone working properly again is a restart, which takes several minutes to do.

I am NOT running any task manager (well, I was but when this problem started up I checked another thread which recommended to remove the task manager, so I did).

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Do you know of a fix, or is it just me?

landwomble

Jun 2, 2006
Mine's done this a couple of times, but I've put it down to the SD card not being quite pushed home properly. Worth taking it out and cleaning the contacts.

carrige

Oct 11, 2008
Nope, that doesn't work. I re-inserted it yesterday (contacts were clean) and this morning woke up with the same problem.

Please tell me this isn't just happening to me, cause it'll be a right pain in the ass to have this repaired (sending abroad/etc).

b0yce

Feb 15, 2006
Is the SD Card the one you got with the phone (4Gb) or another make/model size? Please include details so others can help more.

I have left the given Samsung Class 2 4Gb SD card in mine and I have never had any issues with the SD Card unmounting. This is not saying it won't happen, but for me it has been fine. I was going to upgrade to my other Sandisk 16Gb Class 2 that used to be in my Touch Pro, but will do that hopefully this evening.

So all I can guess is either a faulty card or some issue with Class/Size/Manufacturer of Card (if you changed from the Samsung one) ?

carrige

Oct 11, 2008
It's the stock 4GB card that came pre-installed in the phone. Phone's unlocked too, bought from Clove. If it helps/is relevant: when I loaded up the camera it gave an error saying something like 'no sufficient read permissions for SD card'*, maybe that'd be a clue to the problem.

*I can't quote exactly cause I've since restarted the phone and can't remember it word for word. If/when this happens again I'll post the exact error.

EDIT: There, it just happened again. Restarted the phone not even an hour ago, it's getting ridiculous. Anyway, the error from the camera reads "Unable to save file to SD card due to insufficient file permissions".

FWIW, when I go to SD & Phone Storage settings i CAN see the total and available space on the card. It's just completely inaccessible by the programs. Have also tried the 'SDMount' widget, did absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

EroThraX

Mar 25, 2010
Happens to me too but only when I've been letting go of my phone to put it down rather than placing it down, or if I have to drop it on my bed or chair quick.

Rutter

Sep 12, 2006
Herts
Happened to me a lot too when I was using one of the lock screen info apps, to get my calendar info on the lock screen. Uninstalled and the SD card problem went away.

-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App

carrige

Oct 11, 2008
Never used that :/

I've uninstalled all apps that seemingly access the SD card and will start reinstalling one by one to see if the problem does come back. Only way I could think of.

georgiosm

Jan 12, 2007
It is happening to me also. The last 3 days is doing it at least twice a day , i have the desire almost one month and neved had this problem earlier.
And i though it was something i did.

Srem

Sep 24, 2008
i had the same camera permissions problem. restarted and havnt seen it again since. 4gb card that came with the unbranded device. no idea what caused it, could be any number off new apps etc :S

Dix0r

Apr 5, 2008
I've got the same problem.

I've already tried to reformat my SDcard, but the problem still exists. Another problem when the SD card unmounts, is the CPU usage. This rises to ~10% constantly. Probably cause of this are apps which are trying to write to my SDcard.

Still no solution found, maybe I'll try another SD card in a couple of days.

carrige

Oct 11, 2008
FWIW, I gave up on the stock card and copied all my stuff over to another 4GB card I had running around (straight copy) and it seems to be working fine now. Haven't had a problem yet, although it hasn't even been 24 hours.

Will report back if/when something comes up, and when I start re-installing the apps that I previously removed.

carrige

Oct 11, 2008
I wrote to HTC earlier yesterday describing the same problem, and I just received this reply:

Dear Mr.Matthew Thank you for contacting HTC. Maybe you mount it on the pc to copy nd paste something and you forgot to unmount it from the pc.. Are you using the inbox SD card? Did you install any third party applications to the phone? Please use the phone in Safe Mode. Safe mode terminates all installed running applications, in case if they caused this issue. Please backup what you have on the SD Card and Format it. If you have any other inquiries, don’t hesitate to contact us again. Please note that you can contact us via support line. For further details, please go to http://www.htc.com/europe/CA_Hotline.aspx , Thank you so much for using HTC products. Respect & Regards, HTC Team http://www.htc.com

Only thing I have not yet tried is the Safe Mode. Will see if it needs to get to that.

th3

Apr 13, 2010
UK-KSA-S.E.Asia
It's started to occur on mine at least twice daily now, it wasn't so before about 4 days back. I've just actually restarted the device on getting such an error and apps complaining that they can't read/write to the SD card. Really after some sort of fix here.

bedeabc

May 9, 2010
Manchester
I've had this problem once so far, and reading the reply from HTC reminds me that I have unplugged my phone from my mac without unmounting it a few times...

AdamLC

Apr 28, 2010
Leicester
adamlc.co.uk
I am also having this issue and have ebuddy installed! I shall uninstall it and see if it fixes it! I really hope it does because its starting to get annoying :rolleyes: