[Q] Im afraid to flash a rom, any tips to do it without pc

Search This thread

Enmanuelng

Feb 5, 2014
I bricked my sgs2 i777 because of rom manager, i paid for fixing my phone and i want to flash Cyanogenmod but im afraid to brick it again, so i'd like to know, an easy way to install a rom without PC step by step please. Thanks

4-2ndtwin

Dec 18, 2010
Best advice i have for ya is to do a lot more reading before trying to flash anything.
There is a lot of info here in the stickied threads, etc. And as well in the more up to date threads. U will have to do some searching in the q & a and general forums, but it shouldn't be to hard to find ur answers. But u need to be sure of what u r doin before u do it, so u don't end up with a messed up phone again. There are members here that constantly help, but i think it is best to help urself 1st and then ask ?s later if ya can't find an answer or resolve an issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Enmanuelng

Feb 5, 2014
Read about it but can't find anything

Best advice i have for ya is to do a lot more reading before trying to flash anything.
There is a lot of info here in the stickied threads, etc. And as well in the more up to date threads. U will have to do some searching in the q & a and general forums, but it shouldn't be to hard to find ur answers. But u need to be sure of what u r doin before u do it, so u don't end up with a messed up phone again. There are members here that constantly help, but i think it is best to help urself 1st and then ask ?s later if ya can't find an answer or resolve an issue.

I read about Cyanogenmod but i cant find a post about flashing a rom without rom manager or pc, does someone know how?

SteveMurphy

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 22, 2012
Atlanta
Friend, you need to read/research... a lot. I don't know of a way to flash a rom using just a PC. But flashing CM is just like flashing any other rom for your device. Please read the thread of the rom you're wanting to install thoroughly (especially the OP) before proceeding.

And most definitely stay away from Rom Manger; it just isn't completely compatible with the i777.

Enmanuelng

Feb 5, 2014
Friend, you need to read/research... a lot. I don't know of a way to flash a rom using just a PC. But flashing CM is just like flashing any other rom for your device. Please read the thread of the rom you're wanting to install thoroughly (especially the OP) before proceeding.

And most definitely stay away from Rom Manger; it just isn't completely compatible with the i777.

Isnt there a CWM for i777? I found the app recovery tool that installs CWM but before installing it you see the SCARY rom manager logo, i researched a lot, but i dont know what to do, most of posts and videos are using rom manager.

SteveMurphy

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 22, 2012
Atlanta
On the i777 the recovery (in most cases it's CWM) is included in the kernel. So there's no need to install it separately.

The only time you'd ever need to install CWM manually is if you're trying to get from JB to KK. Is this the case? You state you want CM but you fail to list which version. More information would be helpful, such as what you're currently running and what you're trying to accomplish.

Enmanuelng

Feb 5, 2014
On the i777 the recovery (in most cases it's CWM) is included in the kernel. So there's no need to install it separately.

The only time you'd ever need to install CWM manually is if you're trying to get from JB to KK. Is this the case? You state you want CM but you fail to list which version. More information would be helpful, such as what you're currently running and what you're trying to accomplish.

Im running at&t 4.1.2, i want to flash CM 10.2

4-2ndtwin

Dec 18, 2010
OP,
Ok here ya go...
U can get Root with Framaroot apk (found here on XDA).
U can use Mobile Odin (available on XDA or Play Store) to flash a compatible 4.1.2 dev'd kernel, that includes cwm recovery (see AJK thread in Dev forum).
Flash the AJK kernel (boot.img) initially through Mobile Odin, then reboot into said cwm and flash the AJK kernel again (the whole kernel.zip) so that the capacitive buttons work correctly. Then reboot into recovery and flash ur Rom of choice, per that Rom's OP install instructions. This has been posted quit a few times by myself and others, specifically creepyncrawly. Plz continue to read up thoroughly in the threads i mentioned above and happy flashing. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Enmanuelng

Feb 5, 2014
OP,
Ok here ya go...
U can use Mobile Odin (available on XDA or Play Store) to flash a compatible 4.1.2 dev'd kernel, that includes cwm recovery (see AJK thread in Dev forum).
Flash the AJK kernel (boot.img) initially through Mobile Odin, then reboot into said cwm and flash the AJK kernel again (the whole kernel.zip) so that the capacitive buttons work correctly. Then reboot into recovery and flash ur Rom of choice, per that Rom's OP install instructions. This has been posted quit a few times by myself and others, specifically creepyncrawly. Plz continue to read up thoroughly in the threads i mentioned above and happy flashing. :thumbup:

Thank you so much, excuse my next stupid question, when should i wipe? Before or after flasing the kernel .zip? And before (boot.img) should i wipe?

Last edited:

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
Thank you so much, excuse my next stupid question, when should i wipe? Before or after flasing the kernel .zip? And before (boot.img) should i wipe?

It's not critical when you wipe. It's probably best to wipe before you flash the rom of your choice, though it can be done after. The worst that can happen is that it won't boot properly before you wipe, but the wipe will fix it.

Enmanuelng

Feb 5, 2014
It's not critical when you wipe. It's probably best to wipe before you flash the rom of your choice, though it can be done after. The worst that can happen is that it won't boot properly before you wipe, but the wipe will fix it.

So first cwm, wipe cache, dalvik, install ajk kernel and rom? Or install kernel, wipe and install rom?

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
So first cwm, wipe cache, dalvik, install ajk kernel and rom? Or install kernel, wipe and install rom?

From stock 3e recovery, you should perform a wipe data/factory reset, then install AJK kernel and the rom. You will not be able to perform wipe cache and dalvik from stock 3e recovery as far as I remember. But either way, the important wipe is wipe data/factory reset from within recovery.

Enmanuelng

Feb 5, 2014
Wow guys thank you so so much it worked i admire what you guys do but no i installed cyanogen 10.1 which ajk kernel is compatible because i think Ajk kernel noswap wont work anymore.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

OP,
    Ok here ya go...