HTC in general!

Search This thread

Raymondlikesroot

Jan 28, 2014
Hey guys,

Just Overall, do you think htc devices will continue to have an unlocked bootloader? Because I'm thinking about getting an htc device but I got a s4 and it's bootloader got locked down pretty much instantly :/

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Many people buy these phones because the boot loader can be unlocked and HTC know this. I doubt they'd jeopardise sales by locking it down. I would not buy any device that is locked down or proprietary, one reason I will never ever own an apple device.

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
Hey guys,

Just Overall, do you think htc devices will continue to have an unlocked bootloader? Because I'm thinking about getting an htc device but I got a s4 and it's bootloader got locked down pretty much instantly :/

At some point they will lock them down & if you want it unlocked, it will be a dev or GPe model only. To say that they will keep them unlockable because they sell a lot for that reason, well, that's just not true. Probably less than 1% of TOTAL users ever unlock their bootloader, or even root their devices. Given HTC's marketshare, if everyone that unlocked their HTC bootloader, stopped buying HTC devices, that would be probably less than 0.05% of the market, probably much less. Meanwhile there are corporations, organizations & government bodies that want more secure devices, that also buy more devices than all the bootloader unlockers combined.