[Requires Root][Open Source] Doubletap to Wake Enabler v1.2

Search This thread

naxir

Aug 6, 2010
Nexus 6 Doubletap To Wake
Description
Enables the "double tap to wake" feature that the Nexus 6 shipped with.. It requires root, so you must unlock your bootloader and root before using this. I am offering it for free to members of xda-developers; you can find the apk below. If you wish to donate, feel free to download it from the Google Play Store for $0.99 (USD):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codechron.n6doubletapunlock

If you wish to view the code or build from source to verify that nothing mischievous is going on, you may find the code on Github. Note that the code may be slightly messy; most of my development experience lies elsewhere.

https://github.com/smskelley/Nexus-6-Tap-to-Wake/

Video
@techfanatic9 was kind enough to make a video demonstrating the installation and basic use of this app.

Caveats
Google's built in implementation of double tap to wake isn't perfect. It's likely why it wasn't enabled out of the box. Some users have indicated that if their device has been sleeping for a while, double tap to wake isn't always reliable. It is very unlikely to cause harm to your Nexus 6, but extensive longterm testing has not yet been done. Additionally, this is unlikely to work on anything but the Nexus 6. By downloading now, you are accepting the liability if something were to go wrong. Please let me know if you run into any issues or have any questions.
Changelog
Version 1.2 - Mostly bugfixes.
  • Enhanced error checking.
  • If a non rooted device opens this application, it should no longer crash.
  • Small formatting changes.
Version 1.1 - Persist through reboot.
  • Settings now persist through reboot.
  • Changed name from "Doubletap to Unlock" to "Doubletap to Wake".
  • Updated Icon. Doesn't look amazing, but it's better than it was.
  • Updated some text.
Version 1.0 - Initial Version
  • Implemented the ability to turn on or off Double Tap to Wake

Attachments

• N6DoubleTapWake.v1.2.apk
    66.9 KB · Views: 90,315
  • screen.v.1.2.png
    screen.v.1.2.png
    180.7 KB · Views: 26,031
Last edited:

garymachete

Mar 2, 2011
Issaquah
Dope! Testing right meow

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

You, sir or miss, are an amazing person. Coming from having the g2 and then the g3 I'm pretty accustomed to the knock on/off. Thank you for getting this out there on the swift tip.

mp5cartman

Aug 21, 2010
Thanks, I am coming from the G3 and I still double tap my nexus at times since I'm so used to it. This works perfectly, I wonder why google took the feature out?

soundneedle

Dec 7, 2010
Los Angeles
Just tested and works. This feature is essential since the phone lacks infrared sensors like the X. Nice work!

(I apologize if this is not the correct forum to post this to. Please let me know if there is a more applicable place to put it.)

I have created an app for the Nexus 6 which enables the "double tap to unlock" feature. It requires root, so you must unlock your bootloader and root before using this.

I have only tested it on my device. I wouldn't expect it to work on anything but the Nexus 6. It is very unlikely to cause harm to other devices, but know that by downloading it right now, you are accepting the liability if something were to go wrong. Please let me know if you run into any issues or have any questions.

antiochasylum

Recognized Contributor
Thanks, I am coming from the G3 and I still double tap my nexus at times since I'm so used to it. This works perfectly, I wonder why google took the feature out?

I dunno, but there is a commit in aosp that specifically disabled double tap to wake in HAL, for shamu.

Possibly to avoid pocket double tap? Or random double taps on accident.

zephiK

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
Works great as a very first release. I'm sure that you have more in mind to implement but very nice surprise to wake up to.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: hooliganx

zephiK

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
Guess this thread was moved to the Apps, I was wondering where this thread went. I personally would have thought this belong in Android Development.

lensgrabber

May 10, 2012
Golden
naxir's THANKS level is going to skyrocket! Thanks a bunch for this. It's a must have feature. Still waiting on my phone though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nexus 6 Doubletap To Wake
    Description
    Enables the "double tap to wake" feature that the Nexus 6 shipped with.. It requires root, so you must unlock your bootloader and root before using this. I am offering it for free to members of xda-developers; you can find the apk below. If you wish to donate, feel free to download it from the Google Play Store for $0.99 (USD):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codechron.n6doubletapunlock

If you wish to view the code or build from source to verify that nothing mischievous is going on, you may find the code on Github. Note that the code may be slightly messy; most of my development experience lies elsewhere.

Video
    @techfanatic9 was kind enough to make a video demonstrating the installation and basic use of this app.

Caveats
    Google's built in implementation of double tap to wake isn't perfect. It's likely why it wasn't enabled out of the box. Some users have indicated that if their device has been sleeping for a while, double tap to wake isn't always reliable. It is very unlikely to cause harm to your Nexus 6, but extensive longterm testing has not yet been done. Additionally, this is unlikely to work on anything but the Nexus 6. By downloading now, you are accepting the liability if something were to go wrong. Please let me know if you run into any issues or have any questions.
    Changelog
    Version 1.2 - Mostly bugfixes.
    • Enhanced error checking.
    • If a non rooted device opens this application, it should no longer crash.
    • Small formatting changes.
    Version 1.1 - Persist through reboot.
    • Settings now persist through reboot.
    • Changed name from "Doubletap to Unlock" to "Doubletap to Wake".
    • Updated Icon. Doesn't look amazing, but it's better than it was.
    • Updated some text.
    Version 1.0 - Initial Version
    • Implemented the ability to turn on or off Double Tap to Wake
    It's insane to me some of the comments in here. Sure, there are others way to do it, via a script and tasker, but this guy made a nice little apk that reenables the squashed commit.

So what if he wants to make a buck? You're still getting it for free no matter what. Also, those asking for features, do you not understand he didn't create this?

Google did, then took the code out at the last minute. He simply added it back in. If you have beef with it's unreliability or lack of features, take it up with Google.
    naxir, you should put this on the app store, even if for $.99... you worked on it in creating this mod, you should get paid for it sir.

Thanks anyway, let us know if you put it on there and I will buy it. I always like supporting developers. :good:

It's published in the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codechron.n6doubletapunlock

Note that I will remain offering it for free; the apk that you download from here is essentially the same that is on the play store. Downloading from the play store helps me pay the bills, but doesn't give you a better app.
    Can we get instruction on how you accomplished this to maybe enable it ourselves?

For those who want a technical explanation all you have to do is write

"AUTO" to /sys/bus/i2c/devices/1-004a/tsp

for those who want to do it manually type

adb shell
    su
    echo "AUTO" > /sys/bus/i2c/devices/1-004a/tsp

You can tell that from the commit because what they removed was:

sysfs_write(TOUCH_INTERACTIVE_PATH, on ? "AUTO" : "ON");

which in turn writes "AUTO" to /sys/bus/i2c/devices/1-004a/tsp

fd = open(path, O_WRONLY); <-- Opens the file
    write(fd, s, strlen(s)); <-- writes the command

Also, for those wondering why it needs to be reran on boot, that file gets replaced every time the device is restarted.
    People have made some good points regarding the fact that this app requires root and source code wasn't published. It's a fair point, so I have published my source code on Github. Note that if you decide to view my code, realize that my experience lies elsewhere. The last android app I made was a simplistic to-do list in Gingerbread ;)