[Q] New Big Lots Uniden UTAB71 questions

Search This thread

JoeLansing

Nov 18, 2012
They are pretty crappy. A8, 512MB, 4GB, but only $59 on sale right now. I was able to side load Yahoo Messenger & Plugin, and Titanium backup. Does this mean it's already unlocked? Oh, and it came with Google Play installed. They take a 32GB SDHC just fine, but no HDMI. I also bought a FUBU Nabi awesome sauce thing for my kids. Can I backup the kids apps on the Nabi with Titanium to ext SD, then just restore them to the Uniden? My main question is, Is this thing already unlocked? Sorry for the Noobness. I learned to root the Nabi and sideload stuff in a couple hours on the Nabi, but still a noob..:)
- Joe

Last edited:

zBusterCB87

Feb 11, 2012
BUMP

Sorry if it was wrong to bump, I believe it said it was okay to do so once every 24 hours.

I have the same device and I'm curious, I tried the z4root app, and I got no results. I installed superuser and nothing happened, or nothing seemed to happen, that would be awesome if it was already unlocked! :D

NOTE: When I opened the z4root app, it never said root/unroot, it looked like it said re-root/unroot, ao I'm guessing it might already be unlocked, but I'm having the hardest time finding out.

Does anyone happen to know?

aimnano

Nov 19, 2012
Uniden UTAB71

My UTAB71 didn't come with Google Play store preloaded, and there wasn't an option to obtain it from the list of approved app stores you could download by clicking the 'Download App Stores' icon on the default launcher. I also tried installing it from the APK I downloaded from Android Police (w w w dot androidpolice.com/2012/11/02/download-latest-google-play-store-3-9-17/) to no avail.

I had previously purchased a 7" D2 pad from Big Lots and used a package I found on AndroidTablets.net (w w w dot androidtablets.net/forum/allwinner-a10-based/47980-can-anyone-help-me-2.html) to put Google play store on it, and this package also worked for the UTAB71. Look at the first post on the page (it's by user Erron and a link to his skydrive includes the necessary files).

This tablet is already rooted.

I haven't been able to find anything online concerning this tablet...not even from Uniden's or SouthernTeleCom's websites. I will use this thread for the time being for any updates I come across while toying with this device.

So far, I'm pretty satisfied...if I can have GO launcher and video chat via skype for $60, that's a win in my book. The tablet is relatively quick for only having a 1Ghz processor and 512MB ram. I haven't noticed any lag yet and seems as fast as the 1.2Ghz 1GB ram D2 pad I had purchased before.

EDIT1: I found the hidden support section for Uniden on Southern Telecom's website:
southerntelecom.com/unidentabletsupport/ although it doesn't have any info pertaining to the UTAB71...just a device called the UTAB430. I expect this is where we will find firmware updates, etc in the future.

Last edited:

JoeLansing

Nov 18, 2012
I'm not sure what rooted means anymore. I know what root is on Linux, but... This let me install ES Explorer from exsd. I put 10GB of kids avi/mp4 videos on it and it plays them all fine. I guess if I can install anything I want from exsd I don't care if it's rooted. It is fast enough. It has a nice screen when playing hi-rez animated movies.
- Joe

zBusterCB87

Feb 11, 2012
I'm glad to hear that it is already rooted.
This makes me confused as to why superuser and other rooted apps would not properly operate. They got errors when trying to request superuser root permissions or something, i couldn't get error codes, just crashes...

I like it, its pretty quick, I however am trying to overclock it and so far no success.
Nothing drastic, just bumping it up to maybe 1.2 GHz at most.
Enough to stop the minor lags I encounter once in a blue moon...

Maybe Bumping the SD speed as well...

Its a nifty tablet, Very helpful in college. Since I got it, I don't have to lug around my ASUS 17" gaming laptop with all its mods, OC, and power chord anymore. Takes a load off my back. lol

Sorry if it looks like I'm hijacking this, I'm not. This thread seems relevant. And I'm thinking the OP might need this info as well, might come in handy for him in the future, idk...

roneyzoo

May 19, 2012
Uniden UTAB71 and Netflix...

Does anyone know how to get Netflix to work on this? I bought one for my kids but if it cant get Netflix then it is going back to the store. Thanks

aimnano

Nov 19, 2012
Does anyone know how to get Netflix to work on this? I bought one for my kids but if it cant get Netflix then it is going back to the store. Thanks

Try this (older) version:
w w w dot afreecodec.com/download/netflix-61_mobiletop1.html?o=down

The version in the Play store is unsupported, but installing an older version worked for me.

Last edited:

arumalla

Oct 4, 2012
Fremont
Here I found the process to load Google play store to the 7" tablet that i bought in Biglots.

How to Add Android Market to Polaroid PMID702C
w w w .the-digital-reader.com/2012/06/10/how-to-add-android-market-to-polaroid-pmid702c/

Its made by Southern Telecom, not Uniden. It is just branded as Uniden. Southern Telecom also makes the Polaroid tablets along with like 20 other brands of tablets and mp3 players.
southerntelecom.com

Looks good so far for a $50.

Reactions: patrickjaden

ajerkdude

Sep 1, 2010
Austin
Google Pixel 5
Picked on up, but in the process of trying to put gapps on it, I broke something. I just get to the second title screen. I can still ADB in and push/pull/shell/reboot/remount.

I see this if I run logcat...

E/FramebufferNativeWindow( 1363): Couldn't get gralloc module
E/SurfaceFlinger( 1363): Display subsystem failed to initialize. check logs. exiting...

Crap.

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Picked on up, but in the process of trying to put gapps on it, I broke something. I just get to the second title screen. I can still ADB in and push/pull/shell/reboot/remount.

E/SurfaceFlinger( 1363): Display subsystem failed to initialize. check logs. exiting...

Crap.

If someone could:
adb pull /system/etc/permissions
and post the resulting files somewhere, I think I could recover.

Pretty please?

aimnano

Nov 19, 2012

Crap.

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

If someone could:
adb pull /system/etc/permissions
and post the resulting files somewhere, I think I could recover.

Pretty please?

Refer to my post #3. The method I used for putting gapps on mine is listed. Download the files from that guy's skydrive, run the runme.bat in the root/recover folder. Make sure to read the readme for specifics, but it worked fine for me.

URL: w w w dot androidtablets.net/forum/allwinner-a10-based/47980-can-anyone-help-me-2.html

Last edited:

pakraider

May 12, 2010
Thanks for those instructions, I was able to get Play Store loaded on.

btw, out of the box the kernel allows for OC'ing.. I used ROM Toolbox Pro to OC to 1.2ghz. Anything higher made the tablet lock up, but ymmv.

The tablet is surpisingly quite responsive @1.2 ghz with Apex Launcher.

Reactions: patrickjaden

nrgeek

Nov 23, 2012
I was able to install Anroid Market / Google Play just fine using article on the-digital-reader.com

So far this is working fine for my uses, using Sign my Pad, to sign PDF work orders, and keep pdf service manuals at hand, testing wifi signals etc

My UTAB71 didn't come with Google Play store preloaded, and there wasn't an option to obtain it from the list of approved app stores you could download by clicking the 'Download App Stores' icon on the default launcher. I also tried installing it from the APK I downloaded from Android Police (w w w dot androidpolice.com/2012/11/02/download-latest-google-play-store-3-9-17/) to no avail.

I had previously purchased a 7" D2 pad from Big Lots and used a package I found on AndroidTablets.net (w w w dot androidtablets.net/forum/allwinner-a10-based/47980-can-anyone-help-me-2.html) to put Google play store on it, and this package also worked for the UTAB71. Look at the first post on the page (it's by user Erron and a link to his skydrive includes the necessary files).

I haven't been able to find anything online concerning this tablet...not even from Uniden's or SouthernTeleCom's websites. I will use this thread for the time being for any updates I come across while toying with this device.

So far, I'm pretty satisfied...if I can have GO launcher and video chat via skype for $60, that's a win in my book. The tablet is relatively quick for only having a 1Ghz processor and 512MB ram. I haven't noticed any lag yet and seems as fast as the 1.2Ghz 1GB ram D2 pad I had purchased before.

EDIT1: I found the hidden support section for Uniden on Southern Telecom's website:
southerntelecom.com/unidentabletsupport/ although it doesn't have any info pertaining to the UTAB71...just a device called the UTAB430. I expect this is where we will find firmware updates, etc in the future.

lexridge

May 19, 2011
A friend of mine just got one of these, and I put the Google Market on it, but it did not update to Play for some reason. Anyway, he had not set up any passwords on it, but after it went into sleep mode on him this morning, it came back wanting a password to access it. Well since he had never set it up, the password was unknown. He brought it to me this afternoon, because I hack a lot on Android devices. I was not able to get it to reset using the hard button on the side. It still always booted wanting a login password.

I tried getting it into recovery, but was never able to. There are only 2 buttons on the device, power and home. Does anybody have any idea how to get this tablet into recovery mode?

thx,

patrickjaden

Sep 11, 2012
A friend of mine just got one of these, and I put the Google Market on it, but it did not update to Play for some reason. Anyway, he had not set up any passwords on it, but after it went into sleep mode on him this morning, it came back wanting a password to access it. Well since he had never set it up, the password was unknown. He brought it to me this afternoon, because I hack a lot on Android devices. I was not able to get it to reset using the hard button on the side. It still always booted wanting a login password.

I tried getting it into recovery, but was never able to. There are only 2 buttons on the device, power and home. Does anybody have any idea how to get this tablet into recovery mode?

thx,

Did you guys try 0000 or 1234? I'd also suggest calling the company

zBusterCB87

Feb 11, 2012
I don't know how to get it into recovery.
I've been searching myself.

I however found a way to confirm this device is rooted. There is am app called "Root Checker"
In any app store, download that app, it should be free.

Anyways, I clicked to confirm if it was rooted, and it says it is already rooted.
Under my kernel version it says Root@ubuntu #56 or something like that, so I'm assuming it was rooted and something to do with ubuntu...

Anyways, I've installed a terminal IDE app, and typed SU, shows # which I believe also means rooted.

--------------------------

Now that it is rooted, I've forgotten all my great ideas for changes and things to do that only rooted phones can do. Kinda sad. lol
But I will start looking for manual overclocking modification methods.
As I have not yet found any overclocking applications that support this devices hardware...

I like it a lot, runs flawlessly, and smooth, except for the ocassional lag on the internet browser, I'm thinking a small 0.1-0.2 GHz bump will do the trick.

-------------------------

EDIT:

Okay I went and got setCPU for android out of my Samsung phone and managed to get it installed on my tablet.

Here are the specs of the UNIDEN tablet 7" BELOW:::

PROCESSOR:
Processor: ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7I)
BogoMIPS: 1001.88
Features: swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3
CPU implementer: 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant: 0x3
CPU part: 0xc08
CPU revision: 2

Hardware: sun5i
Revision: a13a
Serial Number ""I will not post this as I believe it is device specific.""

DEVICE:
Board: nuclear
Product: nuclear_a702UNIDEN
Model: UTAB71
Device: nuclear-a702UNIDEN
Build: a702UNIDEN v1.5.0.5 20120827
Manufacturer: UNKNOWN
Brand: softwinners
CPU ABI: armeabi-v7a

Kernel: Linux Version 3.0.8+ (root@ubuntu) (gcc version 4.5.1 (sourcery G++ Lite 2010.09-50)) #56 PREEMPT...

******* I hope this helps all of us! I do not know where to start as far as modifying a kernel or ROM for this device, but I found these specs above.
SetCPU does seem to increase the CPU frequency, but I don't think the voltage changed at all, so... I will be working on what I can with my device, I will post if I find anything useful as far as anything goes.

Maybe with luck, this device will run windows 8 for ARM! :D I can only try. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: STKO74

zBusterCB87

Feb 11, 2012
Is there a way to save addresses of received E-Mails in like an address book or contact list that most other mails have? If there is I have not found
it yet
Thanks -- George:eek:

Are you using the stock built in pre-loaded email app?
I couldn't say, I havent used it yet.
I do believe the device has the ability to copy and paste text, and that it also has a contacts list feature that you can edit the emails into.
However I don't know if they work together...

I use the gMail app. It and my gMail account seem to remember email addresses...

---------------------------------------------

I have been using SetCPU app from my phone in my android tablet, so far it has beem working fine.
The stock CPU speed is 1.001 GHz on this tablet.
So far I am running overclocked 1.2 GHz and it has been stable all day. Battery life seems to be the same.
It does get somewhat warm on the back of the device by the power button, but nothing drastic or alarming.

Remember: Overclocking is your choice and your actions alone, it can be fatal to the device if done incorrectly.

If anyone finds anything about these devices, I hope it gets posted here.
Maybe if we are lucky enough, because enough of us have these tablets, we will get our own device category and general forum for info and questions...

I forgot what else I was going to say... Other than I might look into the 4.1 Android updates and whatever comes next for android, and I will see if I can backup my current device files, OS, Kernal, etc and upgrade it.

But for now, I'm starting slow and working on finding more info. Anyone else getting any progress?
--------------------------------------
NOTE: Sorry this thread got hijacked into this. It sort-of because the Uniden tablet Know-it-all and what not spot of questions and answers.
I will stop if the OP and/or others decide it is nessisary.

If thats the case, I'd stop and then make a dedicated thread to this device and link this thread and my other question thread to that thread as "Relevant info"...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Uniden UTAB71

I just came across this thread & started reading it a little. I wanted to ask you guys if you're able to add apps to external SD card on this thing?
    Thanks

NO. I have been trying to get it to work and have not been successful.

Can someone tell me what the best overclock setting is? I'm not sure mine's working correctly.

I tried OC'ing to 1200 but my tablet started freezing on boot so I dropped it back down to 1156 (might be 1154) and it worked fine after that.
    I stumbled across this today: http://southerntelecom.com/unidentabletsupport/UTAB71.html ... it's the firmware and manual download for our actual tablet. I haven't tried it, but it's good to see that it's up (though not accessible from the main page, and the download page shows a picture of the UTAB430 logo, but the file says UTAB71 :p ).

On another note, I've got Debian Linux running on my tablet, though I'm still working to get the touchscreen working.

DogP
    Here I found the process to load Google play store to the 7" tablet that i bought in Biglots.

How to Add Android Market to Polaroid PMID702C
    w w w .the-digital-reader.com/2012/06/10/how-to-add-android-market-to-polaroid-pmid702c/

Its made by Southern Telecom, not Uniden. It is just branded as Uniden. Southern Telecom also makes the Polaroid tablets along with like 20 other brands of tablets and mp3 players.
    southerntelecom.com

Looks good so far for a $50.
    I think there are cm9 and cm10 roms on freaktab and slatedroid for the polaroid tablets that work for this or can be modified to work for this tablet. You would have to ask over there though. My daughter would be angry if I deleted all her apps and flashed a new rom on hers. Some people just dont get the flashaholic disease.