ATTENTION CANADIAN USERS: Forums for Canadian carriers

Search This thread

mastodonOoO

Dec 18, 2012
edmonton
Anyone know where I can find info on flashing roms, unlocking, and such for canadian users? It seems like nothing is compatible with my rogers sgh-i747m. I was about to ask in a earlier post but I decided to hard brick my phone instead. Mostly beacause I was tring to unlock the bootloader but I must have downloaded the wrong thing. Mostly I found ppl were saying the at&t or t mobile was the same. At any rate im looking for more info directly geared towards Canadians. Oh and by the way I just took my chances and sent my phone to samsung from a roger repair shop and they reflashed it no charge. Apparently everything I did did not void any warrenty.

Sent from my SGH-I747M

smelenchuk

Apr 30, 2011
Anyone know where I can find info on flashing roms, unlocking, and such for canadian users? It seems like nothing is compatible with my rogers sgh-i747m. I was about to ask in a earlier post but I decided to hard brick my phone instead. Mostly beacause I was tring to unlock the bootloader but I must have downloaded the wrong thing. Mostly I found ppl were saying the at&t or t mobile was the same. At any rate im looking for more info directly geared towards Canadians. Oh and by the way I just took my chances and sent my phone to samsung from a roger repair shop and they reflashed it no charge. Apparently everything I did did not void any warrenty.

The only difference between the i747 and i747m that I know of for certain is that they take different modem firmware from each other, which is generally only of interest for stock ROMs and/or directly flashing modem firmware; any other info, ROMs, etc. you find on the boards here is therefore going to be applicable to your device.

For the record, the bootloader doesn't need unlocking; that's a Verizon-specific thing, AFAIK.

mastodonOoO

Dec 18, 2012
edmonton
For the record, the bootloader doesn't need unlocking; that's a Verizon-specific thing, AFAIK.[/QUOTE]

Thanks that help better the search about my device. Knowing the m on 747 makes no difference. So i should be able to flash a rom? Cause I flash cm10 I belive and it was stuck in a boot loop.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app

mastodonOoO

Dec 18, 2012
edmonton
Ya I followed a guide from a google search. Just a random one there are thousands but they all say the same method

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Or sry should I say I cleared everthing before flashing my rom

bdithug

Mar 26, 2012
Burlington
LG G8
Sony Xperia 1 IV
anyone with fido who uses an unlocked non fido phone - does your notification bar always show only rogers as a connected network?

I know fido uses rogers networks, but I've seen a fido galaxy nexus show fido as an available network in network settings and show up in the notification bar. Just wondering if that's something fido phones do, renaming the Rogers network to fido.

Jsick

Dec 5, 2010
Ya I followed a guide from a google search. Just a random one there are thousands but they all say the same method

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Or sry should I say I cleared everthing before flashing my rom

When I went from stock to cm10 for the first time I also had bootloop and had to clear /system and everything was fine after that.

Tony_YYZ

Oct 31, 2012
Sorry, I haven't kept up to date on this thread.

I think your right, it must be stock JB from OTA.
beucase i've heard of flash counter increment on JB's through OTA as well. even using mrrobinson's method.
Was stock JB that bad for you tony?
I never had official JB due to some of the issues I've heard, im at stock ics rooted and going to CM or AOKP soon.

Stock JB was destroying my battery life and that's without enhancements like Google Now turned on. It was also running hot, temperature wise, under load. It may have been something that wasn't playing nice, but I didn't factory reset to determine that. I have been using Task's 4.2 ROMs now and I haven't looked back.

And yes, after updating to official JB, even using MrRobinsons's Stock+Root method now trips the flash counter. Once you trip it once, you don't care anymore.

What did Tony mean when he said that he installed CWM via ADB?

Adb = android debug bridge. It is a method using your command prompt to transfer files and commands from your computer to your device while connected via usb.

Tony meant that he installed cwm to his device from either his computer, or device, using adb commands from his computer.

As mentioned above, you do not need this to install a custom recovery. Just use goo manager or rom manager.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using XDA Premium HD app

Correct. I used ADB via my PC to sideload CWM to my device. Now I run TWRP since it has more compatibility with Android 4.2's file system.

Sirusuk

Nov 30, 2012
Ottawa
im on rogers and i have used a few T-Mobile Roms too they worked for me too but do this at your own risk as i am not responsible if you hardbrick your phone

yet to try sprint im a little scared about that in case i hardbrick myself :eek:

anybody tried them and if so do they work??

mastodonOoO

Dec 18, 2012
edmonton
It looks like sprint is not compatible. The only ones are t-mobile, at&t, videotron (dunno of that american or canadian carrier). Found a chart deep in the forums somewhere but I cant find it anymore.

David Dee

Nov 12, 2010
Toronto
It looks like sprint is not compatible. The only ones are t-mobile, at&t, videotron (dunno of that american or canadian carrier). Found a chart deep in the forums somewhere but I cant find it anymore.

Videotron is a Quebec based carrier running on the same frequencies as T-Mobile, wind and mobilicity, all of which are using the t999 gs3. The primary difference with Sprint/Verizon is that they are cdma based while the other North American models are gsm based. On compatibility, key thing to remember: Never flash a Rom from another carrier that includes a modem (most don't) or you could either lose your imei number or even brick your phone!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using XDA Premium HD app

bdithug

Mar 26, 2012
Burlington
LG G8
Sony Xperia 1 IV
Ive been reading throughout this thread and realized my issues are due to the fact that I installed TWRP through Goo Manager (which automatically installed TWRP (D2CAN) version). Most ROMS on here are D2ATT - which from my understanding are the same. The problem occurs when flashing from a rooted stock rom to a custom rom whether CM10 or AOKP etc - because the rooted stock rom is D2CAN and the roms I am trying to flash are D2ATT, so I get errors when flashing. From what Ive read in this thread, once I successfully flash a D2ATT rom, I should no longer have this issue, as my device will now read D2ATT. I believe that is the source of my problem.

Moving forward, what is the easiest way to work around this issue? Should I flash TWRP D2ATT Recovery on my phone so that the recovery doesnt think I am using a different version when flashing? Or Ive also read that you can unpack the rom, and change the device ID I think it is to D2CAN. I just want to make sure I dont brick my device, so I would prefer using a method that has worked for others.

Any information is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edit: this link solved my issues:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=34253095

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: mastodonOoO

mastodonOoO

Dec 18, 2012
edmonton
Thanks thug that was a good find that link help loads. Does anyone know if there is a stock rom to flash with not so much bloatware? Im with rogers and the juck they load on is just ridiculous or even better a list of this junk to delete would be good. I found one in the forums but its quite old and not listing carrier bloatware.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Danvdh

Sep 5, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Thanks thug that was a good find that link help loads. Does anyone know if there is a stock rom to flash with not so much bloatware? Im with rogers and the juck they load on is just ridiculous or even better a list of this junk to delete would be good. I found one in the forums but its quite old and not listing carrier bloatware.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

try my rom, links in my sig. all Canadians should give it a shot :)

mikoal

Oct 12, 2012
Ive been reading throughout this thread and realized my issues are due to the fact that I installed TWRP through Goo Manager (which automatically installed TWRP (D2CAN) version). Most ROMS on here are D2ATT - which from my understanding are the same. The problem occurs when flashing from a rooted stock rom to a custom rom whether CM10 or AOKP etc - because the rooted stock rom is D2CAN and the roms I am trying to flash are D2ATT, so I get errors when flashing. From what Ive read in this thread, once I successfully flash a D2ATT rom, I should no longer have this issue, as my device will now read D2ATT. I believe that is the source of my problem.

Moving forward, what is the easiest way to work around this issue? Should I flash TWRP D2ATT Recovery on my phone so that the recovery doesnt think I am using a different version when flashing? Or Ive also read that you can unpack the rom, and change the device ID I think it is to D2CAN. I just want to make sure I dont brick my device, so I would prefer using a method that has worked for others.

Any information is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edit: this link solved my issues:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=34253095

Thanks

So using the method in the link you've provided, can you flash to other roms without having to go through that process again? Is ur phone considered d2att now?
From what I've read, it seems like you need to do this everytime you change roms. Would it be a lot easier to reflash twrp as d2att?

Reactions: Felchy

Tony_YYZ

Oct 31, 2012
ATTN Anyone in the Brampton/Caledon, ON areas. Which modem do you find works best for you? My signal quality is always in the yellow while in Brampton. I haven't tinkered with flashing different modems yet and am currently using the one that comes with the official JB release from Rogers (see sig).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello fellow Canadian GSIII owners: please see below and note which forum you should be looking in for ROMs for your devices:

AT&T forum: SGH-I747 (AT&T, Rogers, Bell, Telus and SaskTel)
    T-Mobile forum: SGH-T999 (T-Mobile, Wind, Mobilicity and Videotron)
    Sprint forum: SPH-L710 (Sprint only)
    Verizon forum: SGH-I535 (Verizon only)

Developers, please put carrier support in the title of your threads. Thank you!

---------------------------------------

Hello XDA,

Can we please get an android development forum for Rogers, Bell, Telus and Wind? Rogers/Bell/Telus phones are SGH-I747M and the Wind version is the SGH-T999, but they all have different basebands and stock ROMs. Trying to put Canadian threads in AT&T and Sprint forums will result in a big mess.

Alternatively, instead of separating by carrier, separate by model number. Keep all the I747 development threads in one forum and T999 threads in another. Then people can put the carrier into the title of the post.

Just something to think about.

Thanks!
    if it helps you I have a Sasktel I747m and have had no issues flashing Task and Ktoonzes AOKP JB versions so far. I did notice that the about device showed my device as an i747 after flashing.
    I agree. But AFAIK, the Wind/Mobilicity/Videotron S3 is the same as T-Mobile's, not Sprint's.

Indeed it is. I stand corrected.
    CRdroid O/S works good on my old Samsung Galaxy S3 i747

What a bunch of crazy head banging chit. I have a Canadian Samsung Galaxy S III SGH-1747M BMC-I747MVLUFOB3 Bell KitKat 4.4.2.
    All settings and directions do not work with my Sgs3. In service I have diff settings like the old way to unlock, no NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ ....... when i Type *#7284# no usb i have modem or pda. Tons of other settings also. My partitions are diff. Most programs for 1747m are diff and don't have right firmware or files for mine. So I search them out online. Almost all sites don't care about it. Tried many. Directions on How To's are diff. Most just say same as ATT's from USA but thats a great way to brick cause settings. files needed, and directions are diff . So I tried to do stuff buy way of apks to unlock or whatever. None works. Only a few like kingroot. None of the unlocks. Even many of the paid unlock sites to get my nck code can't. Xda trys the hardest but even here we are told use Att. After many many hours im told stuff like its because of knox or some other reason. If we had a forum for Canadian threads at least we would be able to save a lot of cells and a lot of grief n headaches. As for me I'm quitting on working on Canadian cells n stuff without better help. I'm retired with small pension but will just pay for everything like unlocking and no more trying to learn roms n stuff. Playing with phone is out. Besides most software thats needed now is all by way of buying anyway. Getting as bad as Corporations are.

I realize this is an old thread. But maybe there are others who still tinker around with this old (circa 2012) Samsung Galaxy S3 i747
    While I am a newbie, I have enjoyed flashing Custom ROM's , from CyanogenMod, thru various versions of Lineage, and now CRdroid.
    Totally free of Google; no Google Play Store, no Google Pay, no Google Framework, no Gapps, no Google spyware, no Google bloatware, no Google tracking etc.
    I download all my apps as APK's which are readily available on the Net ( Google them . . . just kidding! ).
    My older Samsung S3 i747 was a 'd2att' originally locked to Rogers, in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Then switched over to MTS (Manitoba Telephone System). Now running on Bell Canada. My replacement is also a Samsung S3 i747, originally running T-Mobile in Arizona, now running on Bell Canada.
    Damn fine phones.
    As a SaskTel customer coming from the international i9000, these forums are very confusing and not very organized. I would definitely support more organization.