[GUIDE] Resolve Low Internal Space Issues

Search This thread

Faiz Malkani

XDA Portal Team / Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 27, 2012
Mumbai
faizmalkani.com
Well if you’re here you’ve probably gone and bought the ZTE Blade or one of its variants (Orange San Francisco, Dell XCD35 or the Idea Blade). You’ve probably been using it for a while now and I’m pretty sure you’ve come to that annoying moment when you download an awesome new app and get that pesky notification saying “Not enough memory”. Here’s a way to fix that problem albeit temporarily for rooted and non-rooted users alike

# Non Rooted Users:
First off, if you’re Android version says 2.1, it means you’ve got a Gen1 device. It’d be best top update it to a Gen2 device yourself using a TPT, or ask your manufacturer to do it for you. Now assuming you have a Gen2 device, i.e. your Android version says 2.2, this is how you go about getting space to install more apps.
-Once you install an app, open the settings menu
-Go to the “Applications” menu and select the “Downloaded” tab
-Select any application
-Keep in mind that this works only for applications that have been granted movability by their developer
-Android 2.2 onwards has an inbuilt option that allows users to move part of the app to the SD card. You should see an option saying “Move to SD Card”. If you do not see it, or it is grayed out, that means the developer has restricted the option. This is common for some apps like widgets
-Repeat for any number of apps you want.
Note : This provides only a little breathing space and allows you to squeeze in a few more apps. The root methods are far more effective. There's also an app called APP2SD to help with this on Google Play

# Rooted Users
The following methods are only for rooted users. To check if your phone is rooted, download the Root Checker app from Google Play. Rooted users have two methods of increasing storage space: Apps2SD+ and A2SD.

Apps2SD+ is similar to the inbuilt option that comes with Android 2.2. However, this enables rooted users to move more of the app to the SD card and also move ANY application to the SD card irrespective of the developer’s restrictions. There are two things that must be kept in mind while using this method. One, widgets do not work if moved to the SD card, so refrain from doing that. Two, the SD card is read after booting, so moving too many apps to the SD card (75+) will cause the phone to hang a lot at boot and reboot several times. This is done using an app. I recommend "DroidSail SuperApps2SD''

A2SD is the process of partitioning the SD card and using it as phone storage. This is by far the best method to increase storage space as a 1GB partition allows you to install 500+ apps, the ease of use and performance aside. This is available for most ROMs if they support an sd-ext script. Partitioning the SD card can be done using Minitool Partition Wizard or by ClockworkMod Recovery. The recommended partition size is 1GB as this is more than enough. The swap should be kept at 0MB or if you use the phone for gaming, at 32MB. Once the memory card is partitioned, the apps along with all their data can be moved to this partition. This can be done by two ways. DarkTremor A2SD scripts for most ROMs, or S2E for CyanogenMod. This is very easy to use and having done it myself, I have 450 apps and the phone’s performance isn’t the slightest bit affected.

Partitioned and still no space? See this : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1933144

Good Luck installing those 500 apps and showing off with them :)

Last edited:

Di0g0

Jun 25, 2012
DarkTremor A2SD? I have DarkTremor A2SD and a 1GB partition and I can't have more than 30/35 apps. Internal Memory is full!

:eek:

unmesh.ghodke

Sep 21, 2012
"sdmove " and "sd watch" app this automatically detect the app which can move to sd

GUYS THIS IF FOR Non Rooted Users DOWNLOAD "SDMOVE " AND "SD WATCH" APP THIS AUTOMATICALLY DETECT THE APP WHICH CAN MOVE TO SD AND NOTIFY ON UR SCREEN WHILE INSTALLING A NEW APP........NO NEED TO FIND WHICH APP CAN MOVE OR NOT.......

Faiz Malkani

Feb 27, 2012
Mumbai
faizmalkani.com
GUYS THIS IF FOR Non Rooted Users DOWNLOAD "SDMOVE " AND "SD WATCH" APP THIS AUTOMATICALLY DETECT THE APP WHICH CAN MOVE TO SD AND NOTIFY ON UR SCREEN WHILE INSTALLING A NEW APP........NO NEED TO FIND WHICH APP CAN MOVE OR NOT.......

Apps2SD by Sam Lu does the exact same thing

Also, I would appreciate it if you stopped posting as if your life is in danger with the bold red font :rolleyes:

Sent from my Asus Transformer TF300T using xda premium HD

insurgente

Feb 21, 2012
hi there. hoping someone may still read this.

Any options for resolving low storage space issues on a Blade V without rooting?

I've moved literally app possible to the SD card (which isn't many).... Are photos not stored on the SD card by default? I've had to start uninstalling updates for system apps that I don't use

with "low storage" my Gmail doesn't sync...which obviously is f*cking annoying

I've had andoids before and rooted them, installed custom ROMs. Just I'd avoid it with this one due to my fear of screwing it up. Is rooting my only realistic option?

Faiz Malkani

Feb 27, 2012
Mumbai
faizmalkani.com
hi there. hoping someone may still read this.

Any options for resolving low storage space issues on a Blade V without rooting?

I've moved literally app possible to the SD card (which isn't many).... Are photos not stored on the SD card by default? I've had to start uninstalling updates for system apps that I don't use

with "low storage" my Gmail doesn't sync...which obviously is f*cking annoying

I've had andoids before and rooted them, installed custom ROMs. Just I'd avoid it with this one due to my fear of screwing it up. Is rooting my only realistic option?

Rooting and then using the solutions in the op seems to be the only plausible option.
However, you can try a cache cleaning app. Should give you 10-15MB depending on how many apps have cached data

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well if you’re here you’ve probably gone and bought the ZTE Blade or one of its variants (Orange San Francisco, Dell XCD35 or the Idea Blade). You’ve probably been using it for a while now and I’m pretty sure you’ve come to that annoying moment when you download an awesome new app and get that pesky notification saying “Not enough memory”. Here’s a way to fix that problem albeit temporarily for rooted and non-rooted users alike

# Non Rooted Users:
    First off, if you’re Android version says 2.1, it means you’ve got a Gen1 device. It’d be best top update it to a Gen2 device yourself using a TPT, or ask your manufacturer to do it for you. Now assuming you have a Gen2 device, i.e. your Android version says 2.2, this is how you go about getting space to install more apps.
    -Once you install an app, open the settings menu
    -Go to the “Applications” menu and select the “Downloaded” tab
    -Select any application
    -Keep in mind that this works only for applications that have been granted movability by their developer
    -Android 2.2 onwards has an inbuilt option that allows users to move part of the app to the SD card. You should see an option saying “Move to SD Card”. If you do not see it, or it is grayed out, that means the developer has restricted the option. This is common for some apps like widgets
    -Repeat for any number of apps you want.
    Note : This provides only a little breathing space and allows you to squeeze in a few more apps. The root methods are far more effective. There's also an app called APP2SD to help with this on Google Play

# Rooted Users
    The following methods are only for rooted users. To check if your phone is rooted, download the Root Checker app from Google Play. Rooted users have two methods of increasing storage space: Apps2SD+ and A2SD.

Apps2SD+ is similar to the inbuilt option that comes with Android 2.2. However, this enables rooted users to move more of the app to the SD card and also move ANY application to the SD card irrespective of the developer’s restrictions. There are two things that must be kept in mind while using this method. One, widgets do not work if moved to the SD card, so refrain from doing that. Two, the SD card is read after booting, so moving too many apps to the SD card (75+) will cause the phone to hang a lot at boot and reboot several times. This is done using an app. I recommend "DroidSail SuperApps2SD''

A2SD is the process of partitioning the SD card and using it as phone storage. This is by far the best method to increase storage space as a 1GB partition allows you to install 500+ apps, the ease of use and performance aside. This is available for most ROMs if they support an sd-ext script. Partitioning the SD card can be done using Minitool Partition Wizard or by ClockworkMod Recovery. The recommended partition size is 1GB as this is more than enough. The swap should be kept at 0MB or if you use the phone for gaming, at 32MB. Once the memory card is partitioned, the apps along with all their data can be moved to this partition. This can be done by two ways. DarkTremor A2SD scripts for most ROMs, or S2E for CyanogenMod. This is very easy to use and having done it myself, I have 450 apps and the phone’s performance isn’t the slightest bit affected.

Partitioned and still no space? See this : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1933144

Good Luck installing those 500 apps and showing off with them :)
    Awesome post mate! This'll definitely help some users with space issues.
    +1 from me!
    Awesome post mate! This'll definitely help some users with space issues.
    +1 from me!

Awesome tutorial!
    +1.

Already knew this but good for other who don't know! :laugh: