cocaineblunts

Feb 24, 2011
I was trying to flash jellybomb rom and keep getting this error in
twrp recovery

Unable to mount '/usbstorage
Any one have a solution?

onemanruler

Oct 3, 2012
im getting the same issue with trying to bump up from m13 to m15 wont change baseband version or software version.

onemanruler

Oct 3, 2012
Same here with any rom it seems, even when doing a wipe of any kind.

Im going to try a older version of TWRP, smells like the recovery isnt right in some way, not the roms.

Found the fix for it. I followed one of the posts from chain fire who was referred to this method by someone I believe. (I apologize if I'm not giving credit to who referred)

1.Turn phone off
2. Remove sd card
3. Flash mi5 stock recovery( you can find a link in the general form in the let's figure this out guys forum on page 7 or so)
4. Keep sd card out while you boot the phone back up.
5. Update to new mj4

Hope this helps. I take no credit for this I just sumerized the genius devs of this forum who I have come to love since I found this place on my s3. Thanks devs :)

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda app-developers app

twrp recovery

Any one have a solution?

Folks, this is NOT an error. It's support for OTG USB storage. Disregard unless you're using a USB OTG adapter and a USB Thumbdrive. Confirmed with the devs. (Which is where this question should have been posted)

:)

xsisbest

Feb 8, 2011
Folks, this is NOT an error. It's support for OTG USB storage. Disregard unless you're using a USB OTG adapter and a USB Thumbdrive. Confirmed with the devs. (Which is where this question should have been posted)

No this is an error.. It fails to install the rom and the only explanation at the end of the log is Unable to mount USBSTORAGE.. Whether it has anything to do with usbstorage or not that is the error we are getting. I am also getting this error. I wipe everything, go to install a rom and it fails.. I can nandroid back to my stock but that is about all I can do aside from flash some mods.

And for the record.. he's trying to get help and Troubleshoot which is the topic of this portion of the forum so I think it's perfectly placed..

ifly4vamerica

Jun 13, 2010
No this is an error.. It fails to install the rom and the only explanation at the end of the log is Unable to mount USBSTORAGE.. Whether it has anything to do with usbstorage or not that is the error we are getting. I am also getting this error. I wipe everything, go to install a rom and it fails.. I can nandroid back to my stock but that is about all I can do aside from flash some mods.

And for the record.. he's trying to get help and Troubleshoot which is the topic of this portion of the forum so I think it's perfectly placed..

I had this issue, what i did to fix it was wipe everything, system, davlik, cache, data, and internal then I did a "format" data in twrp. Once that was done I restored a nandroid booted into it. Then back to recovery and flashed the rom. It was funny as before I did the format data I couldn't mount anything, including inernal storage even when in the rom.

Not sure if this will help you guys but it worked for me.

xsisbest

Feb 8, 2011
I had this issue, what i did to fix it was wipe everything, system, davlik, cache, data, and internal then I did a "format" data in twrp. Once that was done I restored a nandroid booted into it. Then back to recovery and flashed the rom. It was funny as before I did the format data I couldn't mount anything, including inernal storage even when in the rom.

The one thing I haven't done is wipe internal .. I was afraid of losing some stuff on my internal card.. I'll back anything up and give it a go. Thank you so much for your help and recommendation! I'll let you know how it goes.. I gotta download Jellybomb again as I tried moving it to my sdcard in recovery and it seems to have disappeared somehow.. . Thanks again!

ifly4vamerica

Jun 13, 2010
The one thing I haven't done is wipe internal .. I was afraid of losing some stuff on my internal card.. I'll back anything up and give it a go. Thank you so much for your help and recommendation! I'll let you know how it goes.. I gotta download Jellybomb again as I tried moving it to my sdcard in recovery and it seems to have disappeared somehow.. . Thanks again!

Sure thing,if somebody that has MJ4 with passwords sticking can do a factory reset then TWRP back up their system partition and post it I may be able to make a zip that fixes this issue. Of course this is exactly what freeza did I am sure so it may not work but I could give it a try. I will pull system from the girlfriends phone but she is on a plane and gone for the weekend so it may be next week before I can get hers.

xsisbest

Feb 8, 2011
Sure thing,if somebody that has MJ4 with passwords sticking can do a factory reset then TWRP back up their system partition and post it I may be able to make a zip that fixes this issue. Of course this is exactly what freeza did I am sure so it may not work but I could give it a try. I will pull system from the girlfriends phone but she is on a plane and gone for the weekend so it may be next week before I can get hers.

So I put the rom on my card, rebooted, wiped ONLY cache and dalvik and flashed the rom and it worked.. lol. This is what is called a dirty flash coming from the Evo LTE.. I would never have done this lol.. But if it works whatever lol. Thanks again for the recommendation. It actually installs more like a theme than a rom. Always interesting to learn the changes from phone to phone. Excited to see what's to come!

thank you kind sir.

hkbladelawhk

Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3

Tried this, still get the error, at least on the Tmobile Note 3.

micmars

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay

Did ya have the backup on your external? If I'm reading this right, you wiped your internal storage. I've yet to successfully get a clean backup onto my external. It sounds like this could come in very handy, I just want to make sure I understand the steps in case I want to use this. Thanks, bro.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

ifly4vamerica

Jun 13, 2010
Did ya have the backup on your external? If I'm reading this right, you wiped your internal storage. I've yet to successfully get a clean backup onto my external. It sounds like this could come in very handy, I just want to make sure I understand the steps in case I want to use this. Thanks, bro.

Yep had the backup on external. When this happened to me it was after taking the OTA to MJ4. Basically I had odined to full stock, factory reset and wiped internal. Then I removed external SD. Rebooted and took the MJ4 update. After this I flashed TWRP before CF auto root, this took me to an endless boot loop. I couldn't flash anything and anything I tried to run in Odin failed. So I wiped everything again, formatted system and data, tossed in the external SD and restored a nan droid. Presto I was back in business. I think having twrp flashed before cf auto root may have been the culprit. After I restored the nan droid I reran cf first then twrp. Since then no issues at all. In fact I have restored several nan droids from external and have had no problems.

Those nan droids were only of system, data and boot. I am using the latest TWRP with a scan disk 64gb external. I can't remember if it is formatted NTFS or fat32.... I will have to check that for you if you need the info. I am pretty sure it is NTFS but I did have it formatted fat32 for a while so like I said I will have to check that to be sure.

Break.....

In reply to the other post, if you have a T-Mobile version I would try the efs partition restore. I don't have the link anymore but it is in xda forum somewhere, if you search or ask around somebody is bound to know what thread it is in.

Last thing to try is wiping in recovery first then if the flash fails just reboot back to recovery with the twrp menu. Then don't wipe and try the flash again.

I have kind of jumped around a bit with the explanation and couple more things to try, hopefully it makes sense.

Note 3 or Gear Sent

Last edited:
Reactions: micmars

micmars

May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
Yep had the backup on external. When this happened to me it was after taking the OTA to MJ4. Basically I had odined to full stock, factory reset and wiped internal. Then I removed external SD. Rebooted and took the MJ4 update. After this I flashed TWRP before CF auto root, this took me to an endless boot loop. I couldn't flash anything and anything I tried to run in Odin failed. So I wiped everything again, formatted system and data, tossed in the external SD and restored a nan droid. Presto I was back in business. I think having twrp flashed before cf auto root may have been the culprit. After I restored the nan droid I reran cf first then twrp. Since then no issues at all. In fact I have restored several nan droids from external and have had no problems.

Those nan droids were only of system, data and boot. I am using the latest TWRP with a scan disk 64gb external. I can't remember if it is formatted NTFS or fat32.... I will have to check that for you if you need the info. I am pretty sure it is NTFS but I did have it formatted fat32 for a while so like I said I will have to check that to be sure.

Break.....

In reply to the other post, if you have a T-Mobile version I would try the efs partition restore. I don't have the link anymore but it is in xda forum somewhere, if you search or ask around somebody is bound to know what thread it is in.

Last thing to try is wiping in recovery first then if the flash fails just reboot back to recovery with the twrp menu. Then don't wipe and try the flash again.

I have kind of jumped around a bit with the explanation and couple more things to try, hopefully it makes sense.

Note 3 or Gear Sent

I believe that the T-Mobile efs partition fix works great on this phone, if it's the miracle zip to which you are referring (small zip file labeled brick bootloop fix after restoring backup, or something to that effect).

The external SD card I'm using is only 16 GB (yeah, I know), so definitely not a problem with the way it's formatted (it's the one I had on my E4GT). It just fails on backup. I may try it again sometime, but just got tired of that red fail message.

Your explanation is clear and useful.

FWIW, I believe that boot, system and data comprise a complete backup, unless the efs gets fried. Also, I think that you may be right, that the TWRP then autoroot may have been the culprit, but back in business is way awesome (pain while in the mire, though).

In preparation for KitKat, I think a large external SD card is my next purchase, along with a complete wiping of internal, clean start and all.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: tt281gt

tt281gt

Dec 27, 2011
Downey
I believe that the T-Mobile efs partition fix works great on this phone, if it's the miracle zip to which you are referring (small zip file labeled brick bootloop fix after restoring backup, or something to that effect).

The external SD card I'm using is only 16 GB (yeah, I know), so definitely not a problem with the way it's formatted (it's the one I had on my E4GT). It just fails on backup. I may try it again sometime, but just got tired of that red fail message.

FWIW, I believe that boot, system and data comprise a complete backup, unless the efs gets fried. Also, I think that you may be right, that the TWRP then autoroot may have been the culprit, but back in business is way awesome (pain while in the mire, though).

In preparation for KitKat, I think a large external SD card is my next purchase, along with a complete wiping of internal, clean start and all.

I'm sure the 64gb cards are much cheaper now. I think I got mine on amazon for like 50 over a year ago.

Every time I want to do a "clean" install I format the internal memory. I usually have backups of apps/data/rom on the sd card which makes using mybackup pro awesome to restore apps/data. But for whatever reason I am having trouble using mybackup with this phone..

So I've kinda been chillen on freezas rom / kernel waiting for development to increase more (it's coming along great)

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: micmars

micmars

May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
I'm sure the 64gb cards are much cheaper now. I think I got mine on amazon for like 50 over a year ago.

Every time I want to do a "clean" install I format the internal memory. I usually have backups of apps/data/rom on the sd card which makes using mybackup pro awesome to restore apps/data. But for whatever reason I am having trouble using mybackup with this phone..

So I've kinda been chillen on freezas rom / kernel waiting for development to increase more (it's coming along great)

Been running that rom for quite a long time.

Yeah, I was looking at prices for 64 GB cards. Prices look quite good.

mike208

Jun 21, 2010
I have run into this same problem. This is my first time tyring to flash on my note 3 and when I wipe or try to flash the rom I get the error that it is unable to mount usbstorage. I don't fully understand how you fixed this? Is there a stock image I need to flash?

Also a friend of my said that there is an issue with doing restores on the note 3, that it causes a bootloop. Is this true? It's the first I've heard of it

I have run into this same problem. This is my first time tyring to flash on my note 3 and when I wipe or try to flash the rom I get the error that it is unable to mount usbstorage. I don't fully understand how you fixed this? Is there a stock image I need to flash?

Also a friend of my said that there is an issue with doing restores on the note 3, that it causes a bootloop. Is this true? It's the first I've heard of it

I have personally been switching back and forth between maximus ROM and AOSP and have had no issues with restoring backups through TWRP. As far as the unable to mount USB storage error I believe everyone gets that but it has never caused me an issue with flashing a ROM. It is looking for a mass storage device if I am correct. Sometimes after I do a factory reset I rebbot twrp back into recovery before I flash a new ROM and have not had any issues. Someone please chime in if you know better than I.

Hope this helps in some way.

mike208

Jun 21, 2010
I have personally been switching back and forth between maximus ROM and AOSP and have had no issues with restoring backups through TWRP. As far as the unable to mount USB storage error I believe everyone gets that but it has never caused me an issue with flashing a ROM. It is looking for a mass storage device if I am correct. Sometimes after I do a factory reset I rebbot twrp back into recovery before I flash a new ROM and have not had any issues. Someone please chime in if you know better than I.

Hope this helps in some way.

Not sure if it affected the wip or not, but I got that error pretty quick during the flash. I don't see how the rom could have flashed in under 10 seconds, so I do think it is affecting it from flashing and possibly wiping. Thanks for the info about the restore though

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    twrp recovery

Any one have a solution?

Break.....

Note 3 or Gear Sent

Break.....

Note 3 or Gear Sent