[Q] p3110 NAND filled... how to wipe?

Search This thread

markfptuson

Jul 1, 2014
Dumb question. 'Just open CWM and wipe user data, cache, and dalvik cache.' Done it, a good few times.

Basically, I put CyanogenMod on it last year, and then didn't like it and ended up putting a hacked-up copy of the stock ROM on it, which didn't work properly so a couple of weeks ago I put a testing release of CyanogenMod 11 on it, and so far I'm happy, except for a couple of small things which are a little irritating. Immediately after being wiped and reflashed, it reported about half the storage as being used, and when I look at the filesystem from my main computer, it's saying the same - about 5GiB on the device, about 2GiB used... and about 600MiB available. So somewhere, there's a lump of *something* taking up a huge chunk of my storage.

I'm prepared to do a full wipe, however full I can, and reflash it - provided I can keep the recovery environment (Philz Touch). But how can I do this? I've looked through all the options available in the OS and in the recovery environment, and found nothing I haven't already tried.

Shepguessed

Apr 9, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
Dumb question. 'Just open CWM and wipe user data, cache, and dalvik cache.' Done it, a good few times.

Basically, I put CyanogenMod on it last year, and then didn't like it and ended up putting a hacked-up copy of the stock ROM on it, which didn't work properly so a couple of weeks ago I put a testing release of CyanogenMod 11 on it, and so far I'm happy, except for a couple of small things which are a little irritating. Immediately after being wiped and reflashed, it reported about half the storage as being used, and when I look at the filesystem from my main computer, it's saying the same - about 5GiB on the device, about 2GiB used... and about 600MiB available. So somewhere, there's a lump of *something* taking up a huge chunk of my storage.

I'm prepared to do a full wipe, however full I can, and reflash it - provided I can keep the recovery environment (Philz Touch). But how can I do this? I've looked through all the options available in the OS and in the recovery environment, and found nothing I haven't already tried.

Have you checked to see if your nandroid back ups are on your internal card. They take up a lot of space. If you didn't specify them to save to external they will save to internal by default. ROM manager app or something similar can tell you where the back ups are stored.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

markfptuson

Jul 1, 2014
Have you checked to see if your nandroid back ups are on your internal card. They take up a lot of space. If you didn't specify them to save to external they will save to internal by default. ROM manager app or something similar can tell you where the back ups are stored.

I went into it again and formatted the filesystems - but they didn't seem to format completely - and then reinstalled CyanogenMod. When I looked there were suddenly a couple few files in the clockworkmod backup directory which, when I removed them, freed up all that space.

So it was an even dumber question than I thought - I've solved the problem by just poking at another setting I'd not noticed before.

You wouldn't think I've been doing OS builds for over ten years, would you...?

Shepguessed

Apr 9, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
I went into it again and formatted the filesystems - but they didn't seem to format completely - and then reinstalled CyanogenMod. When I looked there were suddenly a couple few files in the clockworkmod backup directory which, when I removed them, freed up all that space.

So it was an even dumber question than I thought - I've solved the problem by just poking at another setting I'd not noticed before.

You wouldn't think I've been doing OS builds for over ten years, would you...?

Yeah, I learned that looking in the cwm backup folder is the best place to look for solving missing storage issues. Glad you solved it.