Very slow WiFi transfer speeds!!

Search This thread

jvoelcker

Jun 5, 2006
I got a nice shiny HTC One through from EE last week and whilst waiting for them to now work out how to move my number across from Orange I have been trying to get the phone setup.

The file transfer speeds across my network using WiFI is atrocious. I have tried to transfer a 13mb file off my office server to my HTC One and gave up after four minutes something whilst I can copy it across to my Desire HD in 32 secs - this is with both phones beside each other less than a meter from the Wifi router and both running ES File Explorer for the transfer.

Any thoughts what could be the problem?

Last edited:

animaleyes76

May 23, 2011
Prague
I got a nice shiny HTC One through from EE last week and whilst waiting for them to now work out how to move my number across from Orange I have been trying to get the phone setup.

The file transfer speeds across my network using WiFI is atrocious. I have tried to transfer a 13mb file off my office server to my HTC One and gave up after four minutes something whilst I can copy it across to my Desire HD in 32 secs - this is with both phones beside each other less than a meter from the Wifi router and both running ES File Explorer for the transfer.

Any thoughts what could be the problem?

Have you tried something like WiFi FTP app ?

jvoelcker

Jun 5, 2006
Thanks, but I don't think it is a software app issue. The fact that the same app on the Desire works as expected indicates it is phone specific.

Looking around I have seen issues with the Android OS version, but no info relating to a specific fix and I suspect it is too early to see any trends relating to the One.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

jvoelcker

Jun 5, 2006
Just been trying from another access point and still deathly slow compared to my Desire HD in a 'side by side' test.

Any other thoughts?

jvoelcker

Jun 5, 2006
I've been doing a bit more digging.

I have a main router and then two access points on a gigabit network backbone and currently all the Wifi is running at B, G, and N @ 2.4Ghz on Channel 11.

Both the Desire and One are showing a connection speed of 72Mbs, so theoretically the two phones are operating at the same speed however the download speeds are radically different.

To transfer a 13.5Mb file took:-

HTC Desire HD - 32 seconds
HTC One 12mins 58 seconds.

There has got to be a problem with it somewhere.

Any suggestions appreciated.

jvoelcker

Jun 5, 2006
OK, just put a call in to HTC support who were worse than useless suggesting waiting for the next software update even though they admitted it may be phone specific.

Is there anyone out there willing to run a test for me to let me know what wifi speeds they are getting.

My HTC One has been averaging 17Kb/s whilst my Desire HD is clocking 409Kb/s.

What are you getting from your HTC Ones?

THanks.

Bebida

Oct 17, 2011
uploadfromtaptalk1364461342405.jpg

17mb file on a 60mbs connection took 6seconds

jvoelcker

Jun 5, 2006
Ok, been playing further and the problem seems to be specific to file transfer across the network.

Normal internet uploads and downloads are as expected and as quick as my laptop, but pulling a Pdf file or trying watch an avi file on a windows server or win 7 desktop is deathly slow on the One, but fine on the Desire HD.
Interestingly watching a streamed video across the network is fine.

I have also tried another One and it is the same, so suspect it may be a software issue relating to windows file transfer protocols.

I'll be patient and wait to see if the first update fixes it.

aronious21

Aug 17, 2011
I'm experiencing the same issues as you. Very slow speeds compared to other devices on my network. It's probably phone specific and will need to return, but I'll try to wait for and update from HTC.

zdeev

Jul 14, 2011
Realme GT Neo 2
Does anyone else still experience these problems? A 3MB (music) file will take about 20 seconds with Airdroid, where my old Galaxy S2 basically copies it instantly via Wifi (Wifi N).

GTXStorm

Oct 21, 2012
Guys, did you tried already to set a static IP for your Network? Maybe it helps.

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7100 mit Tapatalk 2

jvoelcker

Jun 5, 2006
I don't think it is an issue with the implementation of the netbios protocol or what ever is used for windows transfers, ftp and http transfers seem fine.

I've tried a couple of Ones and they are the same.

I'm going to wait for the first update to see if it helps.

zdeev

Jul 14, 2011
Realme GT Neo 2
Also USB 2.0 transfer don't go over 800kb/s where even USB 2.0 can reach way more than that... Again; no problems with the same hardware on other stuff (S2, Tab2).

AYGIT

Apr 18, 2012
Istanbul
It looks like this thread is out dated but i have the same issue, too.

I can only get 1.10 MB/s down speed with 2.4ghz /n, and 1.72 MB/s with 5ghz /n

btw I use Asus dsl-n66u as modem-router

Attachments

• n2.4.png
    n2.4.png
    139.9 KB · Views: 73
  • n5.png
    n5.png
    144 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

donkeykong1

Aug 6, 2012
Sesvete, Zagreb
It looks like this thread is out dated but i have the same issue, too.

I can only get 1.10 MB/s down speed with 2.4ghz /n, and 1.72 MB/s with 5ghz /n

btw I use Asus dsl-n66u as modem-router
Try following - go to settings/wifi/advanced and see if wifi optimization is ticked. If it is, just untick it. It soved low wifi speeds for me

AYGIT

Apr 18, 2012
Istanbul
Try following - go to settings/wifi/advanced and see if wifi optimization is ticked. If it is, just untick it. It soved low wifi speeds for me

thanks for replying :)

it was already unchecked when I was testing.

I've made the test by sharing a folder on windows, but when I tried to download from a ftp server I got approx. 2.10 MB/s

could be modem is the cause of the problem? all settings are set to auto, I better try it laptop...