[Q] can the search bar be removed ?

Search This thread

wyattyoss

Sep 3, 2010
I booted an ICS rom and I was able to also add a much uglier Google search bar, but the permanent one wouldn't leave.

Sent from my Incredible 2

grossermanitu

Feb 23, 2009
Im so happy that on the most new devices these -in my eyes useless- search button is removed. Ive never understood what the benefit of this button and now search bar is? What Im supposed to search on my phone with this bar. Contacts? - I go to my contact menu and directly call my contact. Web? - I go into the browser and start searching. So why is this search bar so important to put it on the top of every 5 homescreens?

oscillik

Mar 19, 2009
Widnes
Im so happy that on the most new devices these -in my eyes useless- search button is removed. Ive never understood what the benefit of this button and now search bar is? What Im supposed to search on my phone with this bar. Contacts? - I go to my contact menu and directly call my contact. Web? - I go into the browser and start searching. So why is this search bar so important to put it on the top of every 5 homescreens?

Access to system wide voice actions.

The only way you can access these is by pressing the mic icon on the search bar. You cannot access system-wide voice actions via any other application's search button.

grossermanitu

Feb 23, 2009
Ok I still sceptical about siri and Google voice search. But now for me the search bar in ICS makes sense.

But more important: why does nobody knows that this feature of Google exists, since ages?!

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk

copkay

Jul 29, 2010
Ok I still sceptical about siri and Google voice search. But now for me the search bar in ICS makes sense.

But more important: why does nobody knows that this feature of Google exists, since ages?!

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk

I thought it was fairly common knowledge. I use it mostly for getting navigation or driving directions, but just searching by voice is handy sometimes as well. Siri's Wolfram Alpha integration is pretty damn cool, though.

_hyperdude

Dec 19, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I find its design rather pointless, as soon as you click in the search box you're taken to another slightly smaller search box which has none of the transparency of the first...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Unless I'm wrong, this is how the Google search widget has always been (besides the fact that they redesigned both the widget and the app it launches) - that is, you click the widget and it opens the search app.

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
the search bar would be the very first thing i'll remove from the screen

the easy work around as mentioned about is either to add a widget on screen for google search or just run google search once, then you can keep recalling it from the "quick task switch" key

oscillik

Mar 19, 2009
Widnes
I'll just quote myself again.

Considering that you can't use the space that is left when you get rid of the search bar, I personally don't see what all the fuss is about.

You cannot place homescreen shortcuts or any other widget there, since as soon as you pick up an icon or widget to place on the home screen, that area is reserved for the Remove/App Info/Uninstall prompt.

So the only result of getting rid of the search bar would be a blank space that can serve no function at all. If I had to choose between a blank space that cannot be utilised, over a search bar...I'd choose search bar.

Reactions: martonikaj

JanetPanic

Oct 17, 2005
Rockville, MD

That is not unsurmountable though. simply compress the icon space a bit when the trash icon (or other drag context option) is available. ADW does that.

Overall I like the new features of the ICS launcher enough not to replace it, but I do wish I had more options involving the search bar.

Edit: alternatively replace the notification bar with the context option when dragging. You can't interact with the notification bar while dragging anyway, might as well use the space.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How do you do that on Stock Rom? I'm rooted btw

Go into Settings > Apps > All > Google Search

hit Disable

Considering that you can't use the space that is left when you get rid of the search bar, I personally don't see what all the fuss is about.

You cannot place homescreen shortcuts or any other widget there, since as soon as you pick up an icon or widget to place on the home screen, that area is reserved for the Remove/App Info/Uninstall prompt.

So the only result of getting rid of the search bar would be a blank space that can serve no function at all. If I had to choose between a blank space that cannot be utilised, over a search bar...I'd choose search bar.
    I stopped, then disabled Google search, how do I get it back?

Go to the same place you disabled it and Re-Enable it. It'll be located at the bottom.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium