Will ROMs for Moto X work on the XT1080?

Search This thread

lesdense

Mar 27, 2011
LG G6
Samsung Galaxy S10
I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this question and it's not for lack of looking. I know that the Cyanogenmod "unified" ROM is the same for both devices which, as the owner of a Droid Maxx, I find encouraging. But there is very little ROM development activity around the Ultra/Maxx while there seems to be a TON of activity around the Moto X. I've searched many of the Moto X Development threads for references to the Maxx and/or the XT1080 but haven't found many (mainly in signatures). Is there a rule of thumb about this, like "all Moto X ROMs are compatible", or "none are" or "here's how to tell which ones are"?

flintbomb

Dec 24, 2010
Eclipse makes a xt1080 room. Every time I try a rom though I go back to stock with gravity box. It is sad though that this is the forgotten phone because I love mine and oh yeah I'm stuck with it forever.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pbaldw10

jakereeves31

Feb 8, 2011
Brawley, California
If in the download link it says "msm8960dt" then it will also work with the Maxx. Also, this should not be in Android Development. Q&A would make more sense for it.

lesdense

Mar 27, 2011
LG G6
Samsung Galaxy S10
I, too, have discovered that there are a couple of ROMs that are XT1080 specific and that msm8960dt releases will work on the Droid Maxx (and other phones). What I'm most curious about are all the ROMs being discussed on XDA's Moto X Development forum. I've had a Droid Razr Maxx and a Razr Maxx HD. I was once flashing a new ROM once a week, it seemed. Many of those devs, or ones that stepped in to replace others, are active on the Moto X. Carbon, LiquidSmooth, Pacman, ParanoidAndroid, Eclipse and many other custom ROMs I've not heard of are in active discussions and, it seems, active development for the Moto X. If Moto X and Droid Maxx can both be flashed with the same Cyanogenmod ROM (msm8960dt), can custom ROMs built for one be flashed on the other? I've got a Maxx Droid DE and another one that's rooted but has a locked bootloader. Can any of those Moto X ROMs be safely flashed on either/both or these phones?

jakereeves31

Feb 8, 2011
Brawley, California
I just said that if the download links say msm8960dt then it will work. I've used all ROMS you mentioned on my Droid Maxx. You just have to be careful with the stock based ROMS for the X. You have to flash from the correct firmware.

lesdense

Mar 27, 2011
LG G6
Samsung Galaxy S10
I think I understand what you're saying. I've gone back and reread the various ROM threads with your criteria in mind and found that several are indeed msm8960dt-based while others say (for instance) "must be on 4.4.2 before flashing". If a ROM is "based on AOSP" does that tell me anything about compatibility?

PILLMUZIK3600

Jun 28, 2013
Ummm yeah most moto x Roms work on MAXX. They are pretty much the same phone. Look thru the moto x threads on here. Lots of people posting who r on maxxes and x's

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Eclipse makes a xt1080 room. Every time I try a rom though I go back to stock with gravity box. It is sad though that this is the forgotten phone because I love mine and oh yeah I'm stuck with it forever.

The ones that say must be on 4.4.2 are probably all stock based, and I think pretty much all the AOSP ROMS will work with the Maxx.