[GUIDE] Boot into fastboot - find out if bootloader is locked

Search This thread

Meister_Li

Jun 26, 2010
Cork
Heya, I figured I'd show you how to find out if the boot loader is locked. After some toying around and reading around in the Xperia Arc forums, I figured it out myself.

To try this, make sure you have fastboot installed. It's part of the Android SDK so if you don't have it, install it. Alternatively, it's also included in the application PDANet

Hold the search-key on your xperia play and connect the USB cable. The LED should switch on in blue. If you computer complaints that it can't find drivers for the device install the "Android Bootloader Interface" Driver that you can also download with the Android SDK.

Now type in "fastboot devices". If you can see a Hexanumeric code there, like in my screenshot, the boot loader is unlockable.

fastboot oem unlock sadly doesn't work. That would've been the day. :p Still, it seems it expects a code and no code is "0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF" Maybe someone clever can find out how to calculate an unlock code from the Imei? :p Anyway, have fun with that for now.

xperiaplayfastboot.png

Techdread

Apr 27, 2010
London
Heya, I figured I'd show you how to find out if the boot loader is locked. After some toying around and reading around in the Xperia Arc forums, I figured it out myself.

To try this, make sure you have fastboot installed. It's part of the Android SDK so if you don't have it, install it. Alternatively, it's also included in the application PDANet

Hold the search-key on your xperia play and connect the USB cable. The LED should switch on in blue. If you computer complaints that it can't find drivers for the device install the "Android Bootloader Interface" Driver that you can also download with the Android SDK.

Now type in "fastboot devices". If you can see a Hexanumeric code there, like in my screenshot, the boot loader is unlockable.

fastboot oem unlock sadly doesn't work. That would've been the day. :p Still, it seems it expects a code and no code is "0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF" Maybe someone clever can find out how to calculate an unlock code from the Imei? :p Anyway, have fun with that for now.

xperiaplayfastboot.png

I get the same :(

D

Deleted member 2488575

They announced that they'll only do this for non-simlocked devices.

I don't know how exactly it'll cost them money tho, if some people use a custom OS on their phone?

It will cost them money because when they abandon the phone the developed community will keep it alive. Meaning no one will buy the next phone.

^^^ Kind of exaggerated.

Where did it say only for non-simlocked? Where can I buy a non-simlocked xperia play?

TDMaster

Apr 25, 2009
Ramat Gan
with Bootloader unlock comes Custom Roms that will eventually create Jailbreak for the phone.. of crouse sony will lose money (or really in this case they will make more money cause more ppl will buy the phone) as the PS3

Meister_Li

Jun 26, 2010
Cork
All right. How will that make sony loose money? What can you do with a rooted phone that you can't do with a normal one that'll cost them money?

bobbylong

Aug 12, 2010
doesnt work

Hey

i have tried this many times now, i turn off my phone, wait for 2 minutes (just to make sure) hold down the search key on my Xperia Play and plug in my USB

i have held the key for up to 5 minutes for all keys and none work

when i press the back key, my computer bleeps as if to say it is recognized

the search key, like you say, does nothing but charge my phone

can someone help me please?

NielDK

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 13, 2008
Farum
Perhaps start a thread with observations made on country/carrier fastboot accepted/not accepted?
Mine is Danish, carrier TDC, fastboot not accepted! (Locked bootloader)

Reversedhex

Nov 12, 2008
Amsterdam

Attachments

• unlockBootloader.jpg
    unlockBootloader.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 143
  • unlockBootloader.png
    unlockBootloader.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That is to be expected. We'll have to wait for Sony Ericsson to help us unlock the Boot Loader eventually.