Another Soft Brick...

Search This thread

bbrou33

Feb 17, 2011
Hey guys. After searching this and other forums and reading many threads I decided the best option would be for me to start my own for my personal situation. Here's the back story.
I put in a fully charged battery that I've used successfully for a few months. Phone appeared to successfully boot up then rebooted itself. Made it to swirling blue before rebooting again. This time, and every time after, it freezes at the Samsung Galaxy SIII screen. Phone won't go into recovery mode but will enter download mode.
I was running rooted ATT stock rom (not sure what version but I haven't done the last 2 OTA's for sure). Phone had been rooted for at least 6 months with no issues. No new apps or anything had been done to the phone recently. TWRP is on the phone however when trying to enter it it freezes on the Team Win screen and never fully enters recovery.
When trying go back to stock rom using Odin I get this message:
<ID:0/009> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> I747UCALG1_I747ATTALG1_I747UCALG1_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/009> Odin v.3 engine (ID:9)..
<ID:0/009> File analysis..
<ID:0/009> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/009> Initialzation..
<ID:0/009> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/009> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/009> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/009> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/009> FAIL!
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
. I'm using the firmware found here . I747UCALG1.
My phone also has a bad pin connection in the usb port (hence why I was changing out batteries)
It forms a connection but at times doesn't stay connected or any little manipulation could throw it off. I do know however that it's not losing connection with the computer when I get the failed message in Odin.
Any help or ideas? As of now I'm rocking a go phone but would rather get my S3 back.

Thanks

ETA: Top left corner in Download mode reads:
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-I747
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: YES (2 COUNTS)
CURRENT BINARY: CUSTOM
SYSTEM STATUS: CUSTOM
QUALCOM SECUREBOOT: ENABLED

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I believe aboot.mbn is a the bootloader file. Does your phone have a 4.3 bootloader?

britt21

Nov 28, 2012
barnstable
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
Hey guys. After searching this and other forums and reading many threads I decided the best option would be for me to start my own for my personal situation. Here's the back story.
I put in a fully charged battery that I've used successfully for a few months. Phone appeared to successfully boot up then rebooted itself. Made it to swirling blue before rebooting again. This time, and every time after, it freezes at the Samsung Galaxy SIII screen. Phone won't go into recovery mode but will enter download mode.
I was running rooted ATT stock rom (not sure what version but I haven't done the last 2 OTA's for sure). Phone had been rooted for at least 6 months with no issues. No new apps or anything had been done to the phone recently. TWRP is on the phone however when trying to enter it it freezes on the Team Win screen and never fully enters recovery.
When trying go back to stock rom using Odin I get this message:
<ID:0/009> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> I747UCALG1_I747ATTALG1_I747UCALG1_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/009> Odin v.3 engine (ID:9)..
<ID:0/009> File analysis..
<ID:0/009> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/009> Initialzation..
<ID:0/009> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/009> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/009> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/009> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/009> FAIL!
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
. I'm using the firmware found here . I747UCALG1.
My phone also has a bad pin connection in the usb port (hence why I was changing out batteries)
It forms a connection but at times doesn't stay connected or any little manipulation could throw it off. I do know however that it's not losing connection with the computer when I get the failed message in Odin.
Any help or ideas? As of now I'm rocking a go phone but would rather get my S3 back.

Thanks

ETA: Top left corner in Download mode reads:
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-I747
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: YES (2 COUNTS)
CURRENT BINARY: CUSTOM
SYSTEM STATUS: CUSTOM
QUALCOM SECUREBOOT: ENABLED

Maybe it is the pin that's causing the problem or try flashing in Odin the DKL3 firmware in Odin

bbrou33

Feb 17, 2011
I believe aboot.mbn is a the bootloader file. Does your phone have a 4.3 bootloader?
It shouldn't. I haven't done an OTA update since 4.1 I believe. The last 2 updates (most recent and October) I didn't do because my phone was rooted and didn't feel like dealing with it. So firmware hasn't been updated. However back in October, my phone automatically downloaded the OTA update and I accidentally installed it. In face I believe it did it again recently. Which after the installation, the phone wouldn't boot up because I was running the rooted firmware. I simply used TRWP to recover everything. As far as I know, phone firmware was never updated because I kept root, but I could very well be wrong.

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
It shouldn't. I haven't done an OTA update since 4.1 I believe. The last 2 updates (most recent and October) I didn't do because my phone was rooted and didn't feel like dealing with it. So firmware hasn't been updated. However back in October, my phone automatically downloaded the OTA update and I accidentally installed it. In face I believe it did it again recently. Which after the installation, the phone wouldn't boot up because I was running the rooted firmware. I simply used TRWP to recover everything. As far as I know, phone firmware was never updated because I kept root, but I could very well be wrong.

You can try different stock firmware from sammobile if you are sure you do not have the 4.3 bootloader.