What to do. 4.4.2 Kitkat keeps getting pushed to me

Search This thread

SHAK3R

Oct 22, 2010
I'm currently rooted via towelroot and keep getting the OTA 4.4.2 update pushed to me. I can't defer. What would happen if I accepted and if I can't how do I work around it. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Free mobile app

jmz768

Sep 17, 2008
I'm currently rooted via towelroot and keep getting the OTA 4.4.2 update pushed to me. I can't defer. What would happen if I accepted and if I can't how do I work around it. Thanks

Use titanium backup to delete the software update files and you'll never be prompted again.

bobloblaw1

May 25, 2010
I think I s called SDM if I remember right. There may be a second process to freeze so someone please chime in if that's true.

SHAK3R

Oct 22, 2010
Thanks for the responses. If I were to delete the files I would need to know which ones to get rid of.

Also if I just download the OTA will it mess up my phone. Would I lose root if I install the ota and if I do lose root can I just use towelroot again?

I'm not that big into roms and such. Just stock root so I can tether.

Last edited:

SHAK3R

Oct 22, 2010
Just scared myself. I accidentally accepted the ota cause it pops up randomly as and I hit the install as I was typing.

It attempted to install. Phone booted up after what looked like it installed and said "update unsuccessful" I still have root ad of now.

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
Thanks for the responses. If I were to delete the files I would need to know which ones to get rid of.

Also if I just download the OTA will it mess up my phone. Would I lose root if I install the ota and if I do lose root can I just use towelroot again?

I'm not that big into roms and such. Just stock root so I can tether.

Freeze or uninstall the system app "sdm 1.0" using your preferred File Explorer or Titanium Backup. This will stop future OTA prompts. Additionally, any manual attempt to check for a software update will automatically cause Settings to force close.

Root is still possible on KitKat VRUDNE1 OTA. You just need to use Towelroot to gain root access. There is no bootloader unlock exploit.

You'll also want to go to /cache/fota and delete the update.zip for the OTA.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

SHAK3R

Oct 22, 2010
Freeze or uninstall the system app "sdm 1.0" using your preferred File Explorer or Titanium Backup. This will stop future OTA prompts. Additionally, any manual attempt to check for a software update will automatically cause Settings to force close.

Root is still possible on KitKat VRUDNE1 OTA. You just need to use Towelroot to gain root access. There is no bootloader unlock exploit.

You'll also want to go to /cache/fota and delete the update.zip for the OTA.

Thanks slim,

If I could just write back and make sure I understand you right.

If I want just d/l the ota I need to delete the update zip. Check for the ota and install it then run towelroot to root again?

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
Thanks slim,

If I could just write back and make sure I understand you right.

If I want just d/l the ota I need to delete the update zip. Check for the ota and install it then run towelroot to root again?

If you want the KitKat OTA, it's probably easier for you to use Odin to flash the most wipe VRUDNE1 tar from Open1your1eyes0 VRUDNE1 thread. Here is his thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2795659

You can download Odin from the first post here. Make sure to flash the VRUDNE1 tar in the "PDA" field once Odin is running on your computer.

The VRUDNE1 OTA will not install because you are rooted and even after unrooting, it has a tendency to still fail. Odin is a Windows only program. It does not work on OSX.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    May I ask, what does this do that renaming "sdm 1.0" does not already do? I have seen it mentioned before but am never clear on its effects.

It is just another way of doing it. Some folks don't use TB so this method will work for them. I have done both in the past just because.